GlockTalk Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
1911 lover
10,128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was pretty good on everything that I could need ammo wise... but I learned federal 357 sig ammo for leo was discontinued.. I am a fan of hornady critical duty.. but I wanted to have some of the federal on hand as well.. i picked up 300 rounds at a dollar a round..

Never thought I would spend a dollar a round. But it is high quality defensive ammo.

Any of you bite the bullet.. and buy some expensive ammo ?
20201007_200500.jpg

·
Registered
8,672 Posts
Federal hst is arguably the best defensive pistol ammo available. I wouldn't pay $1 per round but i understand desperate times call for desperate measures.

·
Registered
8,672 Posts
In early july, i bought some 75 grain hornady 5.56 for 52 cents a round. That was just before ammo prices got realllllly crazy. Now I've seen it for $1.85 a round.

·
Registered
2,531 Posts
In early july, i bought some 75 grain hornady 5.56 for 52 cents a round. That was just before ammo prices got realllllly crazy. Now I've seen it for $1.85 a round.
Nope. Saw the prices for 5.56 and bought 7.62x39 instead. Prices for this ammo hasn't moved much where I live.

·
Registered
13,056 Posts
Not yet....

You gotta cover your bases. You now have what you need, which is a win. We may all find out that wasn't a terrible price. Who knows.

I am pretty well covered, but I (use to) shoot a lot of 9mm FMJ. I could easily blow through my 9's in 6 months.

Not sure at this point how long this shortage lasts and when it does end, where will the prices settle?
There could be a new normal.

·
Registered
132 Posts
5797018F-3150-45AA-912C-708963037BDA.jpeg
I was pretty good on everything that I could need ammo wise... but I learned federal 357 sig ammo for leo was discontinued.. I am a fan of hornady critical duty.. but I wanted to have some of the federal on hand as well.. i picked up 300 rounds at a dollar a round..

Never thought I would spend a dollar a round. But it is high quality defensive ammo.

Any of you bite the bullet.. and buy some expensive ammo ? View attachment 844368
I bought some 9mm HST from Brownells a couple weeks ago and it was a little under $1.00/round. Keep in mind Feddral has a $5 rebate going on right now......

Picture from their site is attached.

Reactions: mj9mm

·
M62/76
11,948 Posts
Picked up a few boxes of that same ammo for $34.95 from SGA when they had some back in late August.

·
Registered
15,107 Posts
Ive been buying some 9mm lately. lgs has had 50&100 round boxes but limits it to 1 box ler caliber a day...so in 10 days..yoh can get a case worth...$13.00 a box for FMJ ...

·
Native Mainiac
18,695 Posts
I bought some expensive rifle ammo last week. Two boxes of .257 Weatherby ammo cost $197.10. Barnes 100 GR TTSX.
Yup, those Weatherbys aren't cheap to feed even in "normal" times. I've got several boxes each for my 30-378, 257 and little 240. Make sure to save the brass.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I just ordered some 5.45x39 for my AK77, at 40 cents a round shipped. Almost twice what I paid for my last purchase, but still comparatively cheap.

A month or so ago I bought some .32 S&W Long in the mid 30 cents/round range, for an old S&W i frame revolver. Probably 8 cents/round more than it was pre-panic.

And around the same time I bought some more .458 SOCOM, at about 20 cents/round over the lowest price I’d previously paid.

Of course I wish I’d purchased more of those calibers when it was truly cheap, but so it goes. Fortunately I did so with the more popular calibers.

Secure storage has become a real problem.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Been lucky that my LEO only LGS is still stocking ammo. Federal and Winchester defensive ammo along with cases of 9mm and 5.56.

Cases are limited to one case of each caliber per customer per day but it's okay because it allows them to keep a halfway decent stock. They raised their 5.56 cases from $375 to $425 but still better than nothing.

Finding .308 for my FAL has been a little challenging though.

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
When you say discontinued do you mean it's not going to be manufactored any more? I have several .357 guns and about 700 rounds on hand. It's so expensive I don't shoot it. Seemed like all the rage on 06 when several high profile agencies went too it. There is 9mm stuff that will out perform it now and everybody is wslking away from 357 sig. no way it is worth a $1 a round

·
Registered
24,663 Posts
I can recall buying some HST, 9MM both 124 and 147 grain and some 230 grain 45 ACP. 9MM was $25 and the 45 was $27.50 - with free shipping - I thought paying ~$.50 a round was crazy - but now since I only have about 750 rounds left I wish I would have grabbed more.

I still have an unopened case of Federal Premium Law Enforcement +P+ 124 Hydra-Shok that I bought before the 2008 election - I paid $380 for it and though that was nuts -

But at the time I figured better get it while it is available you never know what will happen.

It rests at the bottom of my closet - my SHTF stash

What is so special about "Law Enforcement" ammo? I figured it was just a marketing gimmick.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts