close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bought My Wife A Harley

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by USMCsilver, Jun 16, 2006.

1. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

We went up to Charlotte today to go shopping and I saw an ATV in the mall with a advertisement on it for a local shop. We drove past the Harley dealership in order to find the Suzuki/Yamaha/Honda/Kawasaki/Victory dealership just to look around.

Well, we found a cute little Ninja 250 that was still in the crate and planned on drivin' back up on Wednesday to get the bike. On the way back towards the mall up at Concord Mills, we stopped by the Harley dealership and looked at some bikes.

I picked up a Honda CBR 954RR about 2 weeks ago and wanted her to get a streetbike that she could ride with me, but she seemed to like the Harley more. Also, it is more comfortable for a 2nd rider, so she'd like to ride on it with me more than she does my Honda.

We would have gotten a 1200R Sportster, but they didn't have any "R" series so we settled on the 883R. It's a cute little bike with plenty of power for a beginner. She's never ridden before, and I've never really given lessons. I was quite young when I started riding, so I don't recall any lessons either; when I got reaquainted to riding, it all came back like riding a bike, so I don't know where to begin. Oh well; I'm sure she'll do fine.

Pics will follow tomorrow.

2. ZZR guy

ZZR guy

Sign her up for a msf beginner rider course she will benefit greatly from it (and maybe you too, you can never have too much training , especially when it might save your life). Instructors say it is easier to teach a new rider that has never rode before than a rider who has rode a while, because they have not learned any bad habits. In Tennessee when you take the msf course all you have to do to get your license is take your paperwork from where you passed your course to get your m/c license. good luck and I hope she enjoys her new bike.

3. mmsig229

mmsig229

The only problem with the 883's is resale. The new sporty's are much more user friendly than the older ones which were not rubbermounted, geared differently, small 2.5 tanks, and chain drive. One good thing, if she drops it it can be repaired easily. Mirrors, pegs, bars etc can be replaced. Drop a sportbike abd the plastic would cost a fortune to replace.

4. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Not sure what you're saying. This is a '06 883R...

Anyway, as far as the MSF goes, she is all over it. She DROPPED the damned Harley today. I was teaching her in the front yard, and she slowly started to turn, and then wobbled over and down. No real damage; she just fell on the left side and scratched the mirror. I figure about $80 and it's back to new.

So, when she said that the MSF is on the school's bikes, I told her to schedule ASAP. She's still psyched about the bike anyway because she's not on the back of my CBR anymore.

5. mmsig229

mmsig229

If she had dropped your CBR that would have been expensive!!!What I meant was that the 883's don't hold their value as well as the 1200's. Sounds like we have similar tastes. I have a 2001 929RR, and a 87 Harley Softail. I believe the MSF charges a fee, then it's refunded at the end of the class if she passes the test. Good luck!!

6. Bandalero

Bandalero

I have never ridden one, but I've always heard that the Sportsters were "top heavy" and not an optimal bike for a beginner. At slow speeds they are not easy to maneuver for those just starting out.

I would have gotten the Ninja or some small Honda/Yamaha for her. I have a 1995 Yamaha Virago 535 that cost me $2,000. I still ride it 2.5 years after my MSF course. It is light (430 wet) and nimble with a low center of gravity.

P.S. - Take her to a church parking lot for practice - it is easy to use the lines, etc. for practice and slow speed stuff.