close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bought my First Glock

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by ncstatefan, Feb 8, 2010.

1. ncstatefan

ncstatefan

Purchased the G17 on Sat. and man it is an awesome gun. They had one of the new Gen 4 but decided to stick with the Gen 3 with night sights. Hopefully I can find some time to shoot it this week. Any suggestions for a first time glock owner????

2. voyager4520

voyager4520

Congrats and welcome! If this is your first firearm, you might consider taking a handgun class that teaches firearm safety and gives you some range time.

Tips: Keep it stock. There are many aftermarket parts out there for a Glock, 99.99% of them are solutions in search of a problem. Don't shoot reloads or unjacketed lead. Don't overlubricate the pistol, don't get oil, solvent, other liquids, or foreign debris into the firing pin channel or other internals of the slide. Don't use solvent on anything but the inside of the barrel of the field stripped gun. Each time you field strip the gun, even if you didn't take the barrel and guide rod out of the gun, you have to re-seat the base of the guide rod fully into its crescent shaped recess in the barrel lug.(it'll slightly pop out on its own and needs to be re-seated) Don't use any type of steel brush anywhere on a Glock. Use the nylon bore brush that came with your Glock for the bore of the barrel, or a phosphor bronze brush. Push the brush from the chamber end of the barrel out through the muzzle end, but do not pull it back through the other way or reverse the direction of the brush inside the bore. Most importantly, follow the rules of gun safety and read every single word in the instruction manual at least twice before you do anything with the pistol.

Some info in the following videos:
    Glock Do's and Dont's: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yl_2ykakOgU
    Glock Lubrication: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pGobEpUO3Uc (this guy uses WAY too much lube in each spot, but he explains each of the spots pretty well)
    Pistol Cleaning by Nutnfancy, Glock Example: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fx0-hMFako (this guy pulls the bore brush back through the barrel from the muzzle end, which I don't recommend. He also uses grease on the slide rails, which isn't necessary but works just fine and is a matter of preference)

3. wolf19r

wolf19r Problem Solved!

Congrats and +1 to the above post. Their are some really good people on here.

4. ncstatefan

ncstatefan

Thanks for the info Voyager4520. It is much appreciated. I have had shotguns in the past but this is my first handgun. I have taken a basic safety class and also the CCW class.

5. glock2740

glock2740 Gun lover.

6. SilverBullet_83

SilverBullet_83 NRA member

+1
    Watch the amount of lube. this was the first handgun that I owned as well and I made the mistake of overlubing it

7. ncstatefan

ncstatefan

Are you referring to the amount that you used or the frequency of doing it?

8. GlockoPopPopPop

GlockoPopPopPop

congrats man!

this is the place to be. These guys are great and have helped me out a ton in week or so iv been posting

9. den888

den888

Congrats on the first Glock !!!

10. das9mm26

das9mm26

+1 on voyager's post.....GREAT stuff!!
    The G17 was Gaston's first model....and many (still) say the BEST...(YMMV, but it's still the penultimate 9MM, IMO....).
    For a "first handgun"...you'd be VERY hard-pressed to find a more reliable, accurate, rugged and simple weapon....
    My first Glock was a 17; I had to sell it years ago, due to financial hardship, but have sice bought another...with a solemn vow to NEVER part with it!!
    ENJOY....PRACTICE!!...and STAY SAFE!!:dancing:

11. voyager4520

voyager4520

The amount of lube that's used. The instruction manual says to use a drop(of gun oil) in each indicated area and that's the most you should use. I use a small drop(hoppe's oil) in each indicated area and it works perfectly.

12. Nicko

Nicko GTDS FOR LIFE

Congrats on the G17. :cool: