Bought my First Benchmade...

Discussion in 'The Cutting Edge' started by DeputyDawg48, Feb 15, 2020.

1. DeputyDawg48

DeputyDawg48

Bought my first Benchmade yesterday, the Griptilian. Purchased directly from Benchmade and they even have a first responder discount!:cop:
    Will post a pic when it gets here!
    Here's hoping I made the right choice.

CC Glock, BC42, pike bishop and 3 others like this.
  2. xdmikey

xdmikey

I have no doubt you made the right decision! Good to know about the discount, too.

DeputyDawg48 likes this.

3. Valmet

Valmet M62/76 Silver Member

They make a good knife. I’ve been meaning to place an order for one of the Griptillians for a few weeks.

DeputyDawg48 likes this.
  4. kiser64

kiser64

Right decision-Mini Griptilian has been my EDC for more than a few years now. I've been pleased with it! I have had to remove and re-spring the clip a couple of times, but it's a task that I include when I'm sharpening. Great choice in my opinion!

BC42 and DeputyDawg48 like this.
  5. PRKJayhawk

PRKJayhawk

I have several Benchmades. They’re all awesome,

BC42, sonoma and DeputyDawg48 like this.
  6. R13

R13 Glocks are your friend

33EA7856-250F-4653-9A28-06CB3F958C35.jpeg Congrats, the addiction begins lol. I love my benchmades.

CC Glock, BC42, JimmyCat and 2 others like this.
  7. DeputyDawg48

DeputyDawg48

Awesome collection!

bdcochran and R13 like this.
  8. sonoma

sonoma

I have carried the mini griptillian for several years.I have used it hard and it is a tough knife.Recently bought a mini crooked river and those are also great knives.

9. fastbolt

fastbolt

I've been occasionally acquiring Benchmade folders for many years, going back to the 800's with ATS34 steel. Still got one somewhere in a box of things that need repair. Just haven't gotten around to sending it back to replace the plastic spacer that fell apart (because they refused to send me the plastic spacer for me to install). I gave another older 800 model, with a black coated blade, to my brother.

My newer Benchmade folders include a Mini-Grip (154CM/Sheepsfoot), Contego and an Axis Flipper. I tend to favor 154CM, when possible.

Benchmade, for making factory knives, has a rather high opinion of their product when it comes to their pricing, so I wait until I see one I like that's reasonably priced.

10. sonoma

sonoma

Benchmade does think a little too highly of themselves for quality they put out recently.I looked at several of my dealers knives before buying because 20% had the tip of the blades that were flat on one side and angled on the other at the point.There quality control has suffered in the last 10 years.I have quite a few I bought 15 years ago that are just about perfect.

11. uofaengr

uofaengr

Benchmade, for me, have always been hit or miss, and it was easier to stomach before they started enforcing MAP pricing in late 2013. But when you get a good one, it usually hits the spot nicely. You will enjoy it, OP.

12. slick slidestop

slick slidestop

IMG_5337.jpg IMG_5338.jpg

I have really enjoyed this one so far. I have 2 just like it.

13. bdcochran

bdcochran

Benchmade? It is an addiction! I have them going back to when Ernie Emerson was designing for Benchmade. I use the mini grip model in the garage. Right there when I walk inside the door.

I went to the Kershaw 3655 because I only drive to the grocery store and walk in the neighborhood. Less agile than I was a long time ago and the speed safe deployment is faster than I can use to open any other knife.

Benchmade will be with you for many years. Time for you to start planning for your birthday and Christmas!:birthday:

14. BC42

BC42

Here's my Benchmade collection. All bought within the last year and the only issue I've come across is lock stick. It goes away when broken in but I just took them apart and sanded the channel that the axis lock rides in. Just enough to smooth out the edge burrs and no more lock stick. They are priced slightly higher than most but they have excellent CS so with that in mind, they're a bargain.

[​IMG]

15. ottobon100

ottobon100

My first Benchmade purchased years ago was a Griptilian. After several months I noticed it was fraying the top of my pants pockets due to the rough handle from clipping it on and off. Sold it and bought a Benchmade Osborne 940. Nice smooth handle but still easy to grip. Clip still wears the top of the pocket after time but no where near what the Griptilian did.