Bought a tripod rest

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by ithaca_deerslayer, Sep 21, 2015.

1. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Cabela's tripod, for a rifle or whatever. Costs about $75. There are various brands to pick from, I went with the plain Cabelas. Very light and very stable. No matter the brand, I was more interested in a tripod than a bi-pod or mono-pod.

Here is a home video someone made about it. Not me, but I have the exact same tripod

In addition to standing, you can also sit. I shot a nice 2" group at 100 yards with it, with my .308, just sitting on a stool and using the tripod in the field. Same gun at a bench, and I'd be 1" or less (depending upon concentration level). But off-hand, I'd be 8" (if no flyers). Something like that, you get the idea :) I can try to get the tripod groups down to 1" later on.

In the video they were resting the barrel on it, but I rest my forestock on it. Sitting in front of the tripod steadies the side to side sway better than standing, especially if you drop an elbow to your knee.

I'm also using it with my crossbow. My spotting scope screws on too, but I've been just resting the scope on it by hand, and it holds steady enough that way (quicker).

Should work fine with a handgun, but I haven't shot it that yet.

2 thumbs up :)

2. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Anyone else shoot at a backyard range where the distance is wherever you choose to stop and shoot from? That's what I like this for, rifle sling on shoulder, stool in one hand, tripod in the other, and just walk to wherever you want and sit and shoot :)

3. willie_pete

willie_pete NRA Life Member

Thanks, looks like I need another early Christmas present. My wife will be SO happy. :supergrin:

wp

4. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Interesting.

I wonder if it could also be used for a pistol rest while plinking at a distance.
    My shooting benches are at 52 and 100 yards. The tripod might be useful for plinking at other distances.

5. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I shall try it for a pistol hold, and let you know :)

6. Sigobsessed

Sigobsessed Ruggedly handsome

I've got a shooting stick that I use ( single pole ). I use it for both rifle and handgun and love it I'm sure the tripod would be even more stable.

7. plp

plp

No thanks, drag too much crap through the woods for a living, when hunting I'm never far away from a brace of some type and try to go as light for stalk hunting as possible.

8. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I haven't had a chance to shoot a pistol with the tripod yet, but I did set it up inside and dryfire various guns on it for size and form.

The Cabela's tripod that I bought at
    http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Shooting-Pods/1398157.uts
    has a usable height range when set up from 2 feet to 5 feet. So your average height man can stand in a normal handgun position while resting the barrel on the U shaped top of the tripod. No problem there, and very steady in dryfiring.

The only issue I can think of, before testing it out, is revolver cylinder will blow gas into the U mount. It is lined with rubber that you won't want to melt. The top of the U has an inside opening of 3", so the cylinder fits in there fine, and you can rest a revolver on the frame instead of the barrel if you want, to get the cylinder gap forward of the U.

If cylinder gap gases are still an issue, I've thought of the possibility of wrapping the sides of the U in aluminum foil to keep the rubber clean and unmelted, if that seems to be happening.

Another option, not as steady, is to put your shooting hand wrist in the U. That works also, in a kinda retro way of how old tv show cops would hold their wrist to steady their aim :)

9. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

I know what you mean. I have the same trouble with a couple bench top rests.

10. Fireman1291

Fireman1291 Firefighter/EMT

They definitely have their place. I shot the best group of my life when I was sighting in my Ruger Precision Rifle chambered in 6.5CM. Shot a .35 3 shot group with 120grn Hornady Match. Literally stacked it, hole in hole.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

11. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

Now that is a serious tripod rest!

12. ithaca_deerslayer

ithaca_deerslayer

I shot my 2.5" 686 with .38's at 25yards, standing, using the tripod, resting the frame just in front of the trigger guard. No issues with cylinder gap gasses.

In dim evening light. The 5 shot group was 3" wide and a very tight 1/2" tall. I had some sway, which can happen if you don't stand perfectly still. But the up and down was very nice! This method has a bench feel to it, but with the added sway.

Also tried a group using the tripod to just rest my wrist in the U, and the group was a 4.5" shotgun pattern. This felt very good and comfortable, and natural, shooting this way. I think it would be a good support for beginners, and doesn't affect much how they shoot, but does steady the wrist without fatigue.

Then I shot offhand and got a 5" group. I've done better with that gun :)

13. M2 Carbine

M2 Carbine

Pretty good. May have to look into one. :)

Fireman, that's a heck of a piece of machinery.
    I like it. :)