Bought a S&W Model 28

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by J_Rico, Aug 13, 2018.

1. J_Rico

J_Rico

For now, the pachmayrs are staying. I am going to shoot and enjoy this gun. I may get some wooden grips at some point. My brother has some wooden grips on his 586 and it is not uncomfortable to shoot. Not sure what brand they are. The look like pachmayr presentation grips but in wood.

I suspect that the resale value of this 28 is only going to be a concern for my future heirs.

2. tjpet

tjpet

For my M28s that are shooters I put a set of Hogue rubber grips on. They're not pretty but are effective, especially for DA shooting, and cheap.

3. Borg Warner

Borg Warner Free Full Clip!

the larger Target grips for one of these guns is a compromise. While not "original". they improve the looks 100 percent over a set of rubber grips and if you ever had to sell the gun to a shooter rather than a collector the gun would still be worth more than with Pachmayrs. And even to a collector the repro wood grips would not evoke the same immediate gag reflex as a set of Pachmayrs

The target grips are not original to the gun but they are much more comfortable than the skinny service grips unless you use a Tyler T-grip adaptor which is also not strictly original to the gun though the t-grip adaptor is "Period correct". The Altamont grips are accurate reproductions and include the brass Smith and Wesson emblem.

I have a 6 inch model 28 made in 1972. It came with a set of Hogues which was why I was able to get it for a good price in addition to the fact that the gun had some finish wear. Then I lucked out and found a set of Smith and Wesson N-frame target grips for only 30 bucks. I know that those grips are not original to the gun and neither are they period correct but the gun is a shooter and not a collector's item.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2018
  4. ironhead7544

ironhead7544

The Grippers on your M28 are just fine. They will soak up any recoil from the heaviest 357 Magnum load.

5. Ofc.JL

Ofc.JL

Work horse of a revolver. But Nemesis is correct, excessive DA can cause probs w/ the cylinder and bolt notch. If it needs fixed, not many revolver people left at S&W anymore. I know because I contacted them about upgrading an early M66 cylinder yoke(the early 66's could choke up and refuse to work from too much carbon on the cylinder yoke, S&W redesigned it, and offered an ungrade. Of course, it has been many years ago, too.), and no one knew anything about it. S&W considers the original 66 an obsolete revolver. Sad, as the 66 was/is still a very good revolver, IMHO.

6. forty5

forty5

Nice looking,congrats!