Bought a new single stage.

Discussion in 'Reloading' started by Gokyo, Aug 22, 2019.

1. Gokyo

Gokyo

The first press I bought was a Dillon 650.

I later bought a Lee hand press because it was on sale and I wanted to see how well it worked.

The lee was great. I have loaded several thousand 380 acp with it.

I even fabricated a bench mount for it.

8777E72D-20FA-4FCB-939D-4A429255BFB9.jpeg
    You can see the details of my way awesome Lee Hand Press bench mount.

D5FFA9B3-5D4C-4CE3-BE6C-A225ECD7D3DD.jpeg

I just completed a run of 380 ACP. After sizing, decaying and priming 1000 380 ACP cases I started thinking of how to improve the whole setup...

My first thought was to buy a new Lee press like this.

upload_2019-8-22_14-54-57.jpeg

I actually like the Lee Breach lock system.

However while Considering the purchase I stumbled onto the Redding Boss at Midway USA. It was on sale with free shipping.

So I bought it.

A431A419-0F7B-4B6C-BB82-4B0BB097DA83.jpeg

I just can not believe how simple and well made it is.

I am so used loading on my Dillon 650. In comparison the Redding Boss is so simple. It is also incredible smooth.

The priming system has a very different feel then any priming system I have used.

There is just no slip or wiggle the press is rock solid. If the Lee is a 3 star product then the Redding is a 10 star press.

I can see using for making my precision 308, and 223 Cartridges.

Pretty much all my reloading gear is either Dillon blue or Redding mint green. Seems like everything Redding or Saeco makes is amazing. The Redding Boss is no exception.

If you are looking to buy a single stage or if you want to add a single stage to your reloading gear I would suggest you offer the Redding Boss you sincere consideration.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  2. Collo Rosso

Collo Rosso

I went from a old Lyman spartan single stage to a Redding T-7 turret. Redding does make great presses! After some years though 4 pulls of that lever per cartridge was getting old for volume reloading. Bought a Dillon 550 and sold the T-7. Yeah, shouldn't of sold the T-7.

3. fredj338

fredj338

If I were to buy another ss press, not sure why, it would be a Coax just for precision rifle. Redding makes great stuff though. Most of my rifle dies are Redding.

Lagamor and PEC-Memphis like this.
  4. Taterhead

Taterhead Nightshade

Congrats Goyko. I wouldn't want to be without a good D style single stage. Redding does make great gear. I owned an Ultramag press until last year. Great for what it was, but I didn't have as much need for it as I thought I would.

The Boss looks like a quality straightforward press.

5. xdmikey

xdmikey

My cardiologist pitched his 650 in favor of a coax.

I have no regrets on my T7. It will be loading my 308s since I'm cheap and don't want to buy shellplates for it or 357. I guess it will be my "3" press.

SBray likes this.
  6. xdmikey

xdmikey

I have to say since I was able to get my LNL tightened up I'm considering a case feeder. I'm also considering leaving home and moving to Troy/Albany.

I think the heat is finally getting to me!

7. G26-Has-my-6

G26-Has-my-6

nice job with the bench mount fabrication! Now finish the job and bolt the fabrication to the press so you can get rid of that band clamp!!!

:outtahere:

8. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

I really like the Redding products I have bought and that especially includes the T7. It is perfect for loading precision rifle in that I can have every conceivable die and measuring tool mounted and adjusted at all times. I have two toolheads, one for .308 and the other for 6.5x284 Norma. Swap heads and start loading.

OK, I make some checks first...

The T7 is fine for low volume. I wouldn't even consider it for pistol ammo or .223 blasting ammo.

9. Gokyo

Gokyo

The T7 looks cool. However Since I have a progressive I really just wanted to get a bomb proof Open D Press.

The best thing About the boss is that it is really well made and pretty inexpensive.

fredj338 likes this.
  10. FullClip

FullClip NRA Benefactor CLM

I have my original RCBS Special and a RockChucker that get used, plus the RCBS Ammo Master for 50 cal my brother and nephew gave me several years ago. I still use them for small batch loading, while the Dillon 550 is for high volume pistol rounds...9mm, 10mm, 45ACP and 38s.
    I like the feel of a single stage for some rounds.

fredj338 and Taterhead like this.
  11. SBray

SBray NRA & Second Amendment Life Member

Gokyo,

Nice job on the mounting of your press, and congratulation on the purchase of the Boss! Nice reloaders, and the Boss looks like it's built like a tank.

Steve

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  12. SBray

SBray NRA & Second Amendment Life Member

The Co-Ax is quite the machine! I've never seen anything like that before.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=10&v=mOAAeXuGGRs

I was impressed with the features. I can almost see why this guy's T-7 sits idle.

Steve

13. norton

norton

Congrats on the new press.
    Tonight I am loading some .223 for my Howa 1500 bolt gun on my RCBS Rock Chucker. I also load on a Dillon 550-but pistol only. Low volume stuff like the .223 is processed on my RC. Yeah it takes a while, but I don't really mind.

14. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

Nothing wrong with single stage presses. I have an RCBS <?> (entry level) and an RCBS Max. The Max will resize a Volkswagon! I haven't remounted them since the big move a couple of years ago but they are in the cabinet should I find a need.

15. fx77

fx77 CLM

Do all my reloading on Arbor and Rockchucker presses, excellent consistency and chronograph results too.
    Tried the multi stage Dillon...too muchADD to make it run smoothly :)

16. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

After processing a couple of thousand rounds of .223, I convinced it is just better to buy it off the shelf. And keep the components for .223 "just in case". High volume rifle just isn't worth it to me.

High volume pistol on a 650, even a 550, - yes.

Even shot shells isn't bad, although you don't save much in 12 GA - but other gauges you can.

Low-volume precision rifle - well yes - because you can't get the best load for your rifle if you don't.

17. F106 Fan

F106 Fan

During the depths of the Obama years, one local agency was paying about $2/round for .223 while I was loading it for about $0.26. Small agency with no particular buying power but still, they were lucky to find any. Depending on the outcome of the elections, it can happen again.

It is difficult (awkward) to buy ammo in California so I guess I'll just keep on reloading. I have plenty of supplies.

Once again, it doesn't make sense to reload 9mm and .223 but that can change overnight.

18. norton

norton

I have found with my two .223/5.56 rifles my reloads shoot more accurately then low end commercial loaded ammo.

19. ThomasM4

ThomasM4

I bought a big boss II to become my general purpose single stage press. I mostly use it to deprime. Its mounted to a inline fabrication mount with 2 trays and I installed a inline fabrication case kicker to speed up my depriming.

20. BobinNC

BobinNC

Good Reloading Presses are like good friends, and last for years. The two I have might be older than a number of Glock Talk members, both made by CH, now the company is called CH4D.

The first is my CH Magnum Press. This one has not been made in nearly 30 years.

ch magnum.jpg

The next one is still being made, but this one I got in 1994. It's called the #444

ch 444.jpg

Here you can see them both in my old reloading room:
    Reloading room.jpg

Taterhead likes this.