close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bought a New Camera need best memory card

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by jay29, Mar 8, 2012.

1. jay29

jay29

Bought a Canon Elph 500 HS for $149.00 shipped. I now need the best memory card I can get. The more gigabites the better.

2. lethal tupperwa

lethal tupperwa

it might help if you said what kind of card it uses.

3. fatfred

fatfred

4. MrsKitty

MrsKitty

I strongly caution you against this. Use multiple smaller cards.

If you use your ONLY card or it gets corrupted, you have lost ALL of your photos. If you have your photos spread out on smaller cards, you will only lose what's on that ONE card if something happens...

5. Nicky D

Nicky D CLM

I've been using Lexmar for the last several years. I agree with MrsKitty, do not depend on one huge card, get a couple smaller ones. I carry 2, one is 2Gb & the other is 1Gb. The amount of pictures that they hold depend on the format that I am shooting. My 2Gb card can hold quite a few, @400 pictures of Jpeg, high quality. If I am shooting RAW then the count drops significantly.

6. TX expat

TX expat

I use SanDisk Extreme for professional use, so I'd say those are 'the best' IMO. For any consumer PnS type of camera, you could probably use their Ultra line and save yourself some money and do just as well.

7. woodasptim

woodasptim

I'd start with a couple of these

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/SanDisk-Extreme-Video-Memory-SDSDRX3-016G-A21/dp/B003D5MY5I/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1331232769&sr=8-1"]Amazon.com: SanDisk Extreme HD Video 16 GB SDHC Class 10 Memory Card (SDSDRX3-016G-A21): Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51XFd5pMm%2BL.@@AMEPARAM@@51XFd5pMm%2BL[/ame]

8. ray9898

ray9898

SDHC? You cannot go wrong with any name brand models, just get the highest class the camera will support. I would advise several smaller cards instead of one big one though.

9. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

I uses an SD and supports the new SDXC standard I think so here you go:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Lexar-Media-Flash-Memory-LSD128CRBNA133/dp/B004SAMZW4/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1331233224&sr=8-5"]Amazon.com: Lexar Media 128 GB SDXC Flash Memory Card LSD128CRBNA133: Electronics@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/515z2m1TxvL.@@AMEPARAM@@515z2m1TxvL[/ame]

10. .264 magnum

.264 magnum CLM

OP do this.

11. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

This.

Good brands are usually:

SanDisk
    Kingston
    Transcend
    Lexar

Heck, I've even had good results with Panasonic and Kodak got cheap at Wally World, Krogers, or Kmart

Scott

12. stolenphot0

stolenphot0 RTF2 Addict

But like others have said, and what I do when I am on location shooting for work. Use multiple smaller cards. I carry 5-6 8GB cards and a few 2-4 GB backup cards. But I shoot for living. For my home P&S I have a 4GB in it because I had a spare.

13. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

Here ya go:

Storage Media
    SD/SDHC/SDXC memory card, Eye-Fi, MultiMediaCard, MMCplus card, HC MMCplus card

I just googled "memory cards for Canon Elph 500 HS" and clipped this from the camera specs.....

Give a man a fish.....

Scott

14. sputnik767

sputnik767

That camera is not nearly advanced enough to require a high-end memory card. Save a lot of money and get a class 4 or class 6 card. The high-speed class 10 cards are great for high-end DSLR cameras that can shoot high-speed burst mode or RAW image capture, for video cameras that capture high-bitrate video, or for smartphones that save video and data to the card. For your particular camera, you will see absolutely no difference between a class 6 card or a class 10 card. Heck, even my DSLR runs a class 6 card, and I shoot RAW files that are 10-20 megabytes each. Save some money by getting a 16 GB class 6 card that has a lot of good reviews from Amazon or Newegg. For a camera that does not shoot RAW, I doubt you'll ever fill up 16 GB.

15. DScottHewitt

DScottHewitt EMT-B

This is the win.

Biggest cards I use in my little Canon are 2Gig

I got two of them card pouches you can get at Wally World. Clipped together with the clips on them. One holds "empties" the other gets the "fulls" until they can be transferred.....

Scott

16. KentuckyPatriot

KentuckyPatriot Photojournalist

From a professional photographer...

If you plan on doing any video work you should buy the biggest card you can afford, or buy a card that matches what you expect to shoot and then have some leftover capacity for additional video or stills.

You should have multiple cards...period. They can, and do, have a funny way of going belly up just when you need one. All is not lost if this happens, either when you are in post production, or during a shoot. Search the web and you will find SD card recovery software that you can download free to see if you can resurrect some (or all) of your photos. You only pay for the software if it appears you will be able to salvage your data.

Another tip...if you care shooting something important, do so with multiple cards...this prevents the heartache when the card you are using stops working. Switch cards and get back to business and then work on salvaging your data later.

It is imperative that you understand that most of the cards are manufactured overseas and have varying brands attached to the card. There are only a few really distinct cards on the market, and they are typically only needed by pros for durability, weather protection, etc. Otherwise, get what you can afford and know the risks.

Cards do not live forever. Reading and writing, or accessing the data, is limited....not unlimited. With every insertion of a card into my Nikons (after data retrieval) I format my cards a couple times. Because my cards are used often several times a day it can happen that you don't get a complete erase and leftover data from one shoot will merge with another causing you to lose a shot...or more.

Also, erasing data on the card does not eliminate the photo...just like deleting files on your computer. If you have a problem with a card...stop using it immediately. Use the rescue software if you need.

I hope this helps.