close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bought a new bike. Pics inside

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by notoriouskeef, May 13, 2006.

1. notoriouskeef

notoriouskeef Keef

Well, this is my 6th bike in 3 years. My last was a kawasaki zrx, which I previouslly posted was the best of both worlds.......that was until my wife and I went on our first 200 mile ride through the hills one day, between my knees aching and her getting thrown into me, at the end of the ride it was pretty bad. I said screw it and bought the bike, today, that shoulda bought a long time ago.

and oh yes, we found out we moving to hawaii for 3 years, so gave me a good excuse to drop the money on it since we can ride it year round. Talk about comfortable, power, looks, like a freakin recliner, our dream bike.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2006 Harley Davidson Night Train

Matt

2. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

Teach your wife how to ride as a passenger.
    She should never have her weight thrown against you.
    When you brake have her brace her hands against the tank and grip your hips with her thighs.
    There was a good article on pillions in one of the latest Bike magazines, find it and have her read it. Learning to be a good passenger is as difficult as learning to be a good rider and just as important to both of your safety and comfort.

3. notoriouskeef

notoriouskeef Keef

shes been riding since she was a little girl. It doesn't help we are both over 6 feet tall, it just doesn't work. Her hands against the tank, uh...

Matt

Guess there are no Harley fans here, rofl.

4. Kiddun

Kiddun Mommy

Thanks, but already know how....

5. RoyG

RoyG NSDQ

Very nice!!!

I was torn between the Night Train and the Road King Classic last year. Went with the RKC.

Wife did tell me I could get another bike for running around town/bar hopping. So a NT may be in my future also.

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Becareful riding out in Hawaii. I've been told by several people who went on vacation out there and they said that not only it's a squid heaven, the cagers are about the worst they've ever seen. Even worse than Miami, if that's possible.

7. NMGlocker

NMGlocker BOOM headshot

That right there shows one of two things........ crappy rider or crappy pillion.
    Sorry I tried to offer you some info on how to improve both of you guys comfort and safety.
    It seems obvious you already know it all.
    :upeyes:

8. notoriouskeef

notoriouskeef Keef

It shows that the 5 inches she has as a seat at an incline doesn't work, but that was the least of the issues. Explain one thing for me then. how is my wife suppose to grab the gas tank with her hands on the Kawasaki ZRX, unfortunately she doesn't have 4 foot arms. An uncomfortable bike is an uncomfortable bike, i'm 6'3 and my wife is 6ft. Go to your kawasaki dealer, sit on a zrx, get your wife on the back, and tell her to hold the gas tank :freak:.

your right, i do, or at least do know what bikes won't work for 200+ mile rides for my wife and I. I had an R1 where my wife would hold the tank and look like a horny monkey humping my back. She was on that bike once, and we sold it b/c again, it didn't work for us;)

Oh, and on the harley, i can stretch my long legs out all the way, something that was never remotely possible on the zrx.

I appreciate your help though,

Matt

About hawaii...i've been there on vacation once, and yes down town is insane. it's all 1 way streets so we'll get used to it. I plan on spending most of my riding time on base and around the island. either way, it's going to take some getting used too.

9. Njanear

Njanear Nagant-ophile

Doesn't the ZRX have the passenger grip bars on the side? When I used to ride double-up on a 1985 GPz750, I never had the passenger reach around to put their hands on the tank; they would lightly hold me at the waist or reach back and hold it's grab bar. Perhaps what I was doing was wrong but I never had issues like that.

I see that your new ride doesn't have a backrest or handles; is that going to be the first addition? (because if not, the Mrs. will definitely have a tough time touching the tank on the HD and staying comfortable)

BTW, very nice ride there.

10. notoriouskeef

notoriouskeef Keef

Aye, the zrx does have handles on the side. "thrown" wasn't the right word. Every min or couple mins she would slide down the seat causing her to readjust herself by sliding herself back up the seat.

The harley is in the shop right now getting exhaust, extended controls, sissy bar, and seat:)

Matt

11. DaisyCutter

DaisyCutter

I found the ZRX to be far more ergonomical than the typical bike for my 6'1"+ body. Though I didn't like riding 2-up for the reason you stated.

12. Busta Capp

Busta Capp

Nice ride! I had an '01 Deuce and the softtails are a great comfortable ride. Enjoy.

13. hapuna

hapuna Trusted Member

Of course the bad news is you will have a difficult time going 200miles in Hawaii unless you circle the island a few times. Oh yeah and you won't need any cold riding gear(though rain could be an issue).

fnfalman,
    you writin in code? I take it squids may refer to Navy folks. What the hell is a cager?

14. notoriouskeef

notoriouskeef Keef

Around these parts we call motorcycle riders with no gear or helmets squid. They crash, hit the pavement, and turn into mush. AKA - Organ donors

15. Texas T

Texas T TX expatriate CLM

Cager: One who drives a cage

Cage: vehicle with 4 or more wheels - typically contains a cager with a rectal/cranial inversion while in motion and therefore does not notice the motorcyle next to them when they change lanes without looking/signaling

16. Motor-T

Motor-T Windbag

Squid is also short for "squirrelly kid"

17. Cryptoboy

Cryptoboy Sr. Sr. Member!

Looks sharp! The Night Train is one of my favorite softtails (tough call between it and a Fat Boy!)

There are a few Harley lovers on here, and as you've noticed, there are more negative people as well. Some people seem to think that riding at Mach 2 is the only way to ride a motorcycle. (05 Electra Glide Standard here, plus I'm saving up for another sportbike, probably just a used CBR).

Enjoy the ride, and enjoy Hawaii!

18. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

And some people seem to think that riding at turtle pace is the only way to ride a motorcycle as well.

Ride what you ride and let others be, I say.

Of course there are motorcycles for those who want to ride at a decent pace but in reasonable comfort without sacrificing too much speed and handling as well.

Cryptoboy, you are in a very special group of rider who own or ride both a fast bike and a cruiser. Usually it's one way or the other, or maybe something in between like a sporty standard, but to be both a speedster and a cruiser is very unusual.

19. Cryptoboy

Cryptoboy Sr. Sr. Member!

Not really, if you go to some of the Harley forums, quite a few of them own sportbikes in addition to their Harleys. Granted, they tend to not ride them as much, mainly because of the comfort level. What got me interested in a sportbike again (first bike I rode on was a 91 (maybe 90) GSXR 750, and a Seca II in college), is one of the guys I ride with (he was a sales manager at a local HD dealership) has a sweet TL1000, 00 or 01 model I believe, along with his 06 Road King.

There are just as many types of bikers as there are gun owners. I think there are just as many squids/posers as there are RUBs out there right now (you know, the ones that think the opposite type of riding is stupid). Luckily they are the minority on both sides (although they tend to be the ones everyone associates with the style bike and riding). While you are obviously a sportbike fan, you seem to understand that it's not the only thing out there, even if it's not for you.

20. wolfy692005

wolfy692005 pro tinkerer

yep i am one of the butt heads.. i have a softail custom.. not a factory custom but a custom built softail.. i have had 2 in magazines.. this one was posed to be shot for hot bike but in the move to florida we could not get together.. no biggie.. i have a 125hp 100" motor and a 6 speed tranny.. get 43mpg and road just over 14k since this time last year.. nothing compaired to the FL guys.. but we like it... i do a LOT of two up riding and we love it. thinking bout a electra-glide for the trips up to st louis on the bike and the one to sturgis..
    hope you love your NT..
    looks great