bought a new bicycle..!

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by wallyglock, Mar 25, 2007.

1. wallyglock

wallyglock

it is a fuji sagres...last years model the dealer said.
    it is a pretty green color and is 24 speed. it was $410 but since it was an last years model he knocked off 15%.

traded in my daughters 10 year old schwin cross-fit, which was like new, and my old raleigh soverign which was 20 years old, ,( the last decent bike i had !) and he knocked the total price down to $300.
    he also threw in a multi tool ( $14 ), bike lock ($7), and a can of tri-flow lubricant ($7) and switched seats to one that i liked and fit me better for no charge.

have a crap $80 bike i bought at target....i kept that one to ride to work.
    my first road ride this year was about 10 miles on that target bike and it was miserable !!
    gears dont shift correctly and brakes are crappy to say the least .

took my new fuji out today for a 14 mile ride and it rode great and everything seemed to be pretty well precision made.....at least plenty enough for my use !!

i am not a real big biker or racer but it feels really good to have a good quality bike to go out on for a good ride again...!

has anyone else have a fuji brand and how have they preformed for you ?

dealer highly recommended it and so far i think i will be happy with it for my use.

2. grecco

grecco

Congrats on the new bike,
    ride it and enjoy it.

Fugi makes a good frame,
    if the frame was made in taiwan,chances are it was made by giant bicycle company.

the componets such as the wheelset and drive train are usually off the shelf items by manufactures such as mavic and shimano.

from your description you have a very nice bike.

3. mossy500camo

mossy500camo Guest

My boss @ work rides a "Fuji". He seems to like it. But me personaly, I dont know a thing about Fuji bikes. If you ever want another check out the Trek, Diamondback, and Specialized bikes. AWESOME bikes.:thumbsup:

4. wallyglock

wallyglock

thanks for the imput and interest.

i dont know a lot about bikes, just know what is comfortable and rides good for me.

the " off shelf componets" much be fairly good, cause all works well....the junk target bike i was riding must have had parts from below the shelf and maybe a few from the trash can from the way it functioned !

in the local shop where i bought my bike there were some $15oo bikes and up...!! unreal prices for me.

our son used to do some serious riding and had an italian bike that i think was a carbon fiber type, and he paid a ton for it used.

but i feel like i will get my dollars worth from my new one.

5. mossy500camo

mossy500camo Guest

Wallyglock, I know that's right, some of those bikes are priced at UNREAL prices. I remember the first time that I walked into a bike shop. (2004) I thought to myself. "DAMN!":shocked: WTF!?:shocked: I almost turned and walked away. I asked the guy behind the counter (desk) if they had anything for riding paved bike trails & back country roads. (For cheap) He lead me to a Trek. I was still like.:shocked: But, the guy kept telling me "Sir, once you ride this you will never ride any "dept store" bike again". The bike was a 2004 Trek 7100 Hybrid on sale for $299. I was still thinking $299 for a bike?:shocked: I remember all that I had on me was $150 so I put the rest of the bal on my Credit card. And 3 years and several miles later, I am so glad that I purchased that bike.

I am planning to buy another bike soon. I am looking for a more on road, off road bike. My 7100 is more of a paved road bike. So now I would like something a little different. I will keep everyone posted.

Suggestions? Nothing over $300!:supergrin:

6. Berto

Berto woo woo

Most mass produced bikes are variations of only a few major manufacturers overseas with different labels and minor component changes to differentiate the brands at a given pricepoint.
    Giant is the biggest of them and churns out most of the framsets on the market for everyone else to spec componentry and geometries for their given brand lineup....not a bad thing,either as Giant has some of the nicest welds you'll get on a mass produced bike.

Dept store bikes have a few things against them:

1)Poor quality tubing-frames are made of heavy,weaker steel with stickers usually reading, "SUPER MAXX OVERSIZE HIGH TENSILE" or something like that with little warnings everywhere indicating that the bike was not really designed for anything but the most minimalist interpretation of 'riding'.;) You'll see aluminum too sometimes,but lower quality and unlikely heat-treated.

2)Poor quality construction (we're still just talking the frame right now)-sloppy,pasty welds like smeared-on toothpaste and flattened tube ends with stamped dropouts. Again,all this makes for a weaker,heavier less than aligned frame. Cool fact: One plus is they are easier to bend all to hell and back,so alignment can always be 're-adjusted'.:supergrin:

3)Crappy components-heavy cheap steel seatposts,questionable wheels,and scary front ends as many now have some sort of suspension contraption from hell-knows-where on there. Some of these fork are *so bad* they literally will fold from hopping off curbs...look up Pacific Bicycles for recalls on such forks..it's effing scary.My own guess is the fork makes a nice 'fusible link' to keep the head tube from seperating on the crappy frame.:)

4)Even crappier buildup- this is the catch on buying Dept Store bikes....I know,I sound like a bike snob making fun of all those folks who've been content with their own Wallybike,and I'll vouch that a well built Wallybike can meet the ulitarian needs of a strict A--->B transportation....
    ..but this is the part many folks overlook; More often than not,you will need to eventually have the bike gone over by a bike shop to make it work properly.
    Truing the wheels,brakes,drivetrain,switching the pedals to the right crankarms,ditto the brake levers and all the other stuff that goes beyond the typical assembly job in the backroom of the warehouse or your garage.In the end you add about $100-150 to what you spent on Wallybike getting it to work. There,you'll have spent the money for a quality bicycle,built at a bike shop,fully functional with service and usually at least a free tune-up thrown in.
    That's the 'big catch'. In the end,you get more for your dough going to a bike shop and buying a better quality bike,properly built with better components,frame and wheels with service to support it.;)

7. Berto

Berto woo woo

8. mossy500camo

mossy500camo Guest

Berto, Thanks for the info!:thumbsup:

9. grecco

grecco

10. mossy500camo

mossy500camo Guest