close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Dismiss Notice

You are browsing the classified section of GlockTalk.com, by doing so you agree to follow the terms of service.

http://www.glocktalk.com/pages/classifieds-tos/

Bought a lot of stuff, many vendor reviews inside:

Discussion in 'Smart Shopper' started by NineseveN, Apr 27, 2004.

1. NineseveN

NineseveN Obscene

This is a review of services received from Outdoor Haven, Sportsmens Guide, Cabelas, Lightfighter, K-Var, Wiskur and Red Soldier.

On April 20th I purchased nearly $1000.00 worth of assorted gear and supplies from the companies above and thought it would be nice to share the experiences with others.

First, www.outdoorhaven.com:

I ordered a Hakko MKIII BED-35 Red Dot sight from them on Tuesday, April 20th at about 5:00 PM. Price was good at 149.95 and with $14.95 3-day select UPS shipping the total cost was pretty good. First, I received an e-mail confirming my order in less than 20 minutes. Second, I received a tracking number and confirmation of shipping 24-hours later (Almost 24 hours to the minute). The scope arrived on Friday the 23rd which was a nice surprise as they did not ship until late Wednesday which I surely thought would hold the package from arriving until Monday, the 26th. Packing was good, scope was as advertised. It’s hard to beat this little thing for the money. It’s light and compact and the dot brightness is very good. 7 levels of brightness control on the until and I haven’t been able to wash it out in bright sunlight (though haven’t had an extremely bright day yet). It also has 4 reticle patterns to choose from. A crosshair style reticle, a simple dot (looks to be about 1-2 MOA), a larger dot with a circle around it (similar to Eotech’s reticle) and a crosshair and circle reticle. I prefer the dot personally, but I like the options I have with the 4 choices. All in all a very good unit thus far. Will be mounting and zeroing this coming weekend. I will order from Outdoor Haven again. Very good service.

www.sportsmensguide.com

Ordered a pair of Tasco Futura 12 x 50 mm Binoculars and a Beamshot® Ultra Laser Kit (priced $39.97 and $79.97 respectively). With shipping ($13.99 ground shipping because lasers must be shipped ground) I felt I got a little high on the shipping charges seeing as how 3-day select at Outdoor haven was on $14.95. I received an e-mail confirming my order about 50 minutes after I ordered which is acceptable. I received an e-mail confirming shipment and a tracking number 24-hours and 10 minutes later. The package arrived on Monday, April 26th which was sooner than I expected given that it was shipped ground. The Binoculars are nice on the exterior, but I’m having trouble adjusting them. The image is clear but it is a double image. Having a hard time operating these things hehe. I guess I should read the manual. My 2 other pair of binocs are a lot easier to use, but the price on these were nice and if I can adjust them then it will be money well spent. The beamshot unit is very cool. Nice bright laser with a universal rifle mount that clamps to the barrel (or any protruding tubular part). The adjustments are easy and the mount is solid. The manual that came with it is very short (1 piece of paper) but usable. All in all a good experience and I would order from them again as well.

www.cabelas.com

This is one of many times I’ve ordered through Cabela’s and each time I have had a pleasant experience, this was no different. I ordered A grundig Mini-World 100-PE Radio ($29.99), a Sportsman’s Space Blanket in Olive Drab color ($9.99), a Cabela's brand Fleece Sleeping Bag ($19.99) and 100rounds of Wolf 7.62 X 39mm 154 Gr. SP ($84.99). Shipping was 29.95. I received an order confirmation e-mail about 8 minutes after I placed my order. 36 (4/22) hours later I received a confirmation of the shipping of my order notifying me that all items were shipped on 4/21. They do not provide a UPS tracking number but the did give an estimated delivery date of 4/23 for all of the items except the ammo (which is shipped ground shipping) and that is exactly when everything arrived. The mini-word radio is awesome. Gets pretty good reception for most of the bands/stations and is really small (one of the smallest radios I could find). The manual is pretty damn big but it is comprehensive and the bulk is not wasted. The “space blanket” is really cool. Insulates most of your body heat, is light-weight and provides a water-proof barrier for sleeping in the wild. The fleece sleeping bag is also an awesome idea. Fleece breathes easy but also insulates well. The combination of the fleece bag and the space blanket should keep me warm on all but the coldest of Northeastern nights. It makes a nice, warm and light-weight combination perfect for my B.O.B. (bug out bag). The ammunition (been dying to try the 154gr soft point loads for some time now) was estimated for delivery on 4/28. But, either UPS or Cabela’s likes me apparently and it got to my door on Monday the 26th (2 days early, woohoo!). One of the boxes of ammo did break open during shipping but other than that there was no visible damage to the shipment whatsoever. I’ve been ordering from Cabela’s for some time and this is another good experience.

www.lightfighter.com

Ordered myself the Alta Superflex Knee Pads, Alta Superflex Elbow Pads and ESS Tactical XT Goggles. This stuff is mainly for my B.O.B. and they’re priced well at @29, $29 and $12 respectively. Added $12.13 for Ups 2nd-day Air shipping. I received a confirmation of my order about 1 hour after I placed it. This was the only order that hit a snag. 2 days after I placed my order I received a notice that my items are on back-order and would be shipped when they came in. I was kinda annoyed with the lack of good service this was to me and I aired it out a little in a thread on Glocktalk. Lightfighter responded very shortly afterwards and cited some issues with hiring new people and increased workload. I received an apology for the delayed notification and decided to let this ride out and see how long it takes and if the service gets better. I’ve heard nothing but good things about Lightfighter so I figure I’m not getting the shaft intentionally and I can understand some delays. Things don’t always go as planned. Hopefully we get this sorted out soon.

www.k-var.com

ordered 3 Bulgarian waffle mags (7.62x39mm @$10.99 each) to fill a hole in my mag count. I got the Ups 3-day select shipping for $17.55 (which seemed a little high for the small package but oh well). Unlike the shipment from Outdoor Haven that came on Friday the 23rd, this shipment took until the 26th (what I thought it would have anyway). K-var doesn’t send confirmation of shipping or tracking numbers. Everything arrived in good condition and as expected.

www.wiskur.com

This guy rocks. Saw an ad from him on ar15.com advertising Galati rifle cases for $49.95. I ordered the 37” AKMS case for my VEPR/KTR. Before placing the order I sent an e-mail asking some questions but I ended up ordering about an hour after I sent the e-mail. To his credit, Neil did respond in a timely manner and noted that he saw my order and wanted to reassure me that what I was hoping to do with the case would be okay (I asked if 30rd AK mags really fit in the 4 side pouches, figured I’d just take the chance anyway). The mags and rifle fit great. This case is put together pretty good. 7 hours after I ordered I got a tracking number. The shipping was $9.95 ground so I figured sometime the week of the 26th. Hehe, the case got to me on Friday the 23rd (3 days after I ordered). Overall a great experience and I would encourage others to do business with Neil. I know I will be again in the future.

www.redsolider.com

ordered an M32 LBV assault vest ($129.95) and a 3-day assault ruck ($59.95). Selected 2nd-day air for $16.69. Received a confirmation of order an hour later and a confirmation and tracking number for shipping an hour after that. Talk about fast service! Everything arrived on the 22nd of April. The M32 (Tarzan) vest seems pretty well made. Easily fits the 8 Ak-47 (30rd) mags in the mag pouches on the chest. Material is thick and sturdy, but not too unforgiving to be comfortable. Adjustments for fit are a little tedious but not overly so. The ruck is big and seems pretty well made. Easily fit all of my gear that I planned on putting in it and then some. Overall the entire system is not too bulky feels comfortable once you wear it fully stocked for about an hour and get used to the feel. A great experience all around, would definitely order from them again as well.

2. NineseveN

NineseveN Obscene