Bought a Gen 4 G17....random comments...

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by matteblack, Feb 6, 2010.

1. matteblack

matteblack

I just bought a Gen 4 G17 and put 200 rounds through it, flawless. I dont have the largest hands so the grip fits nicely. I've been very excited about the Gen 4 SF models because of this. After 100 rounds I found the side panel grip texture was wearing too aggressively against my support hand. Probably since I'm a pencil-pusher but a little bit of 400 sand paper tamed it just enough that its not an issue.

You can really tell the increased strength of the new recoils spring assembly because the resistance is noticeably stouter than the gen 3 design. It reminds me of a hand fitted 1911 versus a stock version. Its funny because its so tight that it makes my G21SF seem very sloppy.

My one disappointment is the trigger pull weight. Clearly, its heavier than the Gen 3's as I compared them to two of mine. Its about a pound heavier. I experimented with "-" connector which lessened the pull weight but it lost its clean break. I personally have not ever liked this connector in any setup because IMHO it seems "mushy" and not clean like the standard connector. That's just been my experience. So, I am open to ideas on how to get a gen 3 stock trigger in my Gen 4.

Just rambling on. Overall I really like the Gen 4 design. :cool:

2. JBP55

JBP55

The pull weight on my Gen4 G17 after cleaning and lubing was 6 # 2oz. I installed a Glockworx trigger/trigger bar and a GW connector and brought the pull to 4 # 10 oz. I shot 600 flawless rounds the first two days. The gun has more felt recoil than any of my other 9mm Glocks which all have 15 # ISMI springs and stainless recoil rods. The gun is smooth and is the tightest Glock I have ever seen and I work on Glocks on a regular basis. All trigger components from the Gen. 3 work on the Gen. 4 except the trigger housing.

3. pangloss9

pangloss9

I bought one also but only have 100 rounds through mine. I'm very very pleased with the size of the pistol without any of the add-on parts for the backstrap. Trigger pull seems heavier on mine also. I haven't shot it side-by-side with my 2nd gen gun yet, so I'm hesitant to compare recoil. I was very happy with my old Glock, but I think the Gen4 has some real improvements.

4. matteblack

matteblack

JB, did you use the ZEV drop in unit?

5. JBP55

JBP55

Yes I use them in all my Glocks, best trigger/trigger bar and connector made for a Glock.