Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
583 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a Dan Wesson A2 this week and took it shooting for the first time today. I already have a DW A2 Commander and was hoping that this one would be as nice as that one. Spoiler alert: It is.

I ran 200 rounds of mid-power level reloads that I shoot a lot of and not only did it run perfectly, but it actually makes me look like I can shoot. The only frustration was that every time I'd start getting a good group together, I'd get so happy with how accurate it was that I'd throw a flyer next round.

These have got to be the best bargain in 1911s right now. Mine cost less than $1200 and is as tight and nicely fit as any 1911 I've shot before. I've owned as high as an Ed Brown and as low as an RIA and this one is right up at the top of the list.

This photo was shot on the cleaning bench after the 200 rounds.
Dan Wesson A2 1911 by Tim, on Flickr

·
Registered
517 Posts
Congrats. I have definitely jumped on the DW bandwagon. They make a great product. This would be top of the list if i wanted to add a GI type 1911.

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
Congrats on the acquisition! Well done!

·
Registered
5,493 Posts
I may need to buy a DW Valor in 10mm :supergrin:

Reactions: Kingarthurhk

·
Registered
518 Posts
Very nice firearm. It's modern but keeps the original's legacy like very few modern 1911's can. Colt should be taking notes on the A2, it's a gun they should of made instead of cerakoting series 80 1991 pistols and calling them limited editions. Anyways, enough with the Colt talk. That Wesson is a keeper.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Let me get this straight!!! You CLEANED it after only 200 rounds!!! WHY.....

Reactions: ditto1958

·
Registered
47 Posts
I have no idea how good Dan Wesson's 1911's are. For all I know they are the best. But I don't buy Dan Wesson guns. I once bought from a friend the DW mega-revolver in .44 Mag with the 3 interchangeable barrels. It was like new, hardly used, but he'd just gotten married and needed the cash. If you know that gun you'll know that it comes with feeler gauges to make sure that the cylinder gap was right. I noticed right away that if I used the tighter gap the cylinder would bind. So I used a medium gauge when I mounted one of the barrels, took the gun to the range and realized that three of the six chambers would spit flames (and probably pieces of lead and/or jacket material) sideways, out of the gap, and three would not. I double-checked the gap and realized that it varied with the turning of the cylinder. Either the cylinder's face was not square to the barrel, or the whole cylinder spun on an axis not parallel to that of the barrel. The problem occurred with all of the three barrels. Furthermore, in double action the trigger was incredibly hard. A beautiful gun and all, yet nothing but a lemon. I sold it as fast as I could. Maybe it was a fluke, and all its siblings were perfect, but this one really sucked. There are two brands I don't even look at now, DW and Mossberg. But the Mossberg is another story that would be O.T. here.

·
FAHRENHEIT
7,247 Posts
Nice!

I want one in the Commander size.

Are they really limiting the run to 200 pistols in each configuration? I fear they will vanish before I get one cornered.......

·
Semper Fi
1,556 Posts
Horrible, horrible pistol. Ugly, inaccurate and unsafe!! I don’t know why you would buy such a thing!!

Tell ya what I’ll PM you my address and you send that thing down to me ASAP. I will properly dispose of it for you. Please make sure you don’t make another purchase like this and cause me to have to bail you out again...ok?

·
Banned
16,936 Posts
I picked up a Dan Wesson A2 this week and took it shooting for the first time today. I already have a DW A2 Commander and was hoping that this one would be as nice as that one. Spoiler alert: It is.

I ran 200 rounds of mid-power level reloads that I shoot a lot of and not only did it run perfectly, but it actually makes me look like I can shoot. The only frustration was that every time I'd start getting a good group together, I'd get so happy with how accurate it was that I'd throw a flyer next round.

These have got to be the best bargain in 1911s right now. Mine cost less than $1200 and is as tight and nicely fit as any 1911 I've shot before. I've owned as high as an Ed Brown and as low as an RIA and this one is right up at the top of the list.

This photo was shot on the cleaning bench after the 200 rounds.
Dan Wesson A2 1911 by Tim, on Flickr
Except for the rear Novak it almost looks G.I.

·
Registered
8,366 Posts
Congratulations. I have one as well. I had purchased three DW's in a few months. I dumped the two stainless pistols, but kept the A2. The A2 has been flawless. The Stainless pistols just couldn't get passed issues of not going fully into battery at least a couple of times in a hundred rounds.

I've sworn off stainless 1911's for good. I should have known better after having AMT's and Randalls back in the 1980's. YMMV.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts