Bought a 42 for Wife - looking for pointers

Discussion in 'General Glocking' started by Retiredguns, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Retiredguns

Retiredguns

Howdy Folks, 1st post outside of Intros. I am trading a new Shield for a barely used G42. I made the mistake of buying my Wife what I wanted her to have and that failed. The Shield is a beast to rack and nearly impossible for my Wife. We went to the LGS and the Glocks were much easier for her. I initially thought of the 43, but my Wife is 118lbs soaking wet and I want her to be comfortable carrying & shooting this pistol. She is a good shot, but somewhat recoil sensitive, She doesn't like to shoot my XDs .45 and hates the snap of the mousetrap .380s. I think the 42 is going to make her confident. It's also coming with a Milt Sparks Executive Companion holster and mag carrier. I'm kicking in an extra $75 for that, but it's about 1/2 price of a new setup.

The 42 I am trading for comes from an Instructor that found out his huge mitts just didn't like it. He added an extended mag release and put 20rds through it. He bought it very early on so I am wondering if the initial batch has any particular concerns? Any absolute "must haves" for the occasional shooter?

Thanks
    Steve

2. HGxyz

HGxyz

There were problems with the early and not so early G42s. You can find long threads discussing them if you search. You may be able to send it to Glock and get all the subsequent updates. You can telephone with the serial number and get some specific info.

The main problems had to do with cycling rounds (in particular locking back when the mag is not empty). There is a redesigned slide stop lever and magazine, maybe some other stuff. You may try it out and find it functions perfectly. Some of the problems are ammunition dependent, so don't assume any ammo will work without a thorough testing.

The G42 is definitely the lightest recoiling Glock. Good luck.

3. Retiredguns

Retiredguns

Thanks, been reading and watching. I won't be shooting Buffalo bore or other super hot loads for sure. I have some 90gr FMJ and some Federal HST already. I'll keep studying and be sure to check with Glock about the pistol.

4. Truth&Balance

Truth&Balance

I had one of the early ones, to many FTF's and FTE's for my liking. Found it only reliability shot Federal American Eagle FMJ. Sent it back to Glock who replaced numerous parts, still not reliable. Ended up returning it to LGS. Purportedly, from what I can recall, those with a born date of around July 2014 and later were supposed to be free of the early defects. Good luck.

5. Paul53

Paul53 You local friendly Skynet dealer

Somebody has to say it: sleep with one eye open.

6. Retiredguns

Retiredguns

Somebody has to say it: sleep with one eye open.

?? as in my XDs in the other hand?

7. opaul

opaul

Does it come with the original case and goodies. Look at the spent brass envelop and it will tell you when it was test fired and a general date it was manufactured. I have one (test fired 8/15) and have had no issues with it. I have several friends that also have earlier models and they also report not problems. I really, really like mine and it is a joy to shoot.
    Can you test fire it before the purchase?

8. gjdtruck

gjdtruck

Don't get her pissed-off at you!!

9. GlockFan7

GlockFan7

You mention "occasional shooter". Take her to the range. We like outdoor ranges best. Make it a date. We'll go the range, the go for coffee and talk about the experience. Get her comfortable with her new 42.

10. IowaLefty

IowaLefty

I had a not so early one (Aug or Sept 2014) and was after the first wave of updates and had nothing but trouble with mine. Only Glock I have owned that ever gave me troubles. Originally I thought it would be a great CCW pistol for my wife, but never could get it to run consistent enough to let her shoot it. Later when the G43 came out, I bought one after all the great reports and the first time my wife shot it, she claimed it. So, I ended up buying another one for myself. We both liked it that much.
    Hopefully you have much better luck with yours. I wouldn't spend to much on a used holster either. We both use Remora holsters and they work great for us.

11. Retiredguns

Retiredguns

I won't let her carry it unless it proves reliable. She hasn't even signed up for Illinois CC class so there is going to be plenty of time to get a few hundred rounds through it.

The Milt Sparks holster is brand new in the bag. He is bringing it, but I have no obligation to buy. I asked my Wife about the Remora as I have a few, but she remembers me telling her forum stories about guys dropping their drawers forgetting they had a loose holster. Yes, a person should always be aware, but a belted holster avoids that for the most part. I do use my Remoras from time to time for short time carry.
    I figure worst case scenario it goes back to Glock or get's traded in for something else. A lot have come and gone.

12. Jim

Jim

As mentioned, the recoil on a G42 is barely more than a .22, I can shoot mine all day and the only thing that hurts is my wallet. Now that I'm reloading .380 with plated bullets, even my wallet doesn't hurt.

Racking the slide is a different matter, I don't have any problems but it feels a lot stiffer than my G19. Trigger pull is also stiffer.

TN.Frank likes this.
  13. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

I own two G42's. Both are recent production.

Have put thousands of rounds through them and they have been 100% flawless.

I've been competing and carrying Glocks for over two decades and the G42 is my all-time favorite Glock.

Our defensive load of choice is the Hornady Custom 90 grain XTP.

Enjoy your G42. You made a great choice.

14. Retiredguns

Retiredguns

So much disparity. I will give a report when I have ran a couple boxes through it.

15. c4c5vette

c4c5vette

I would like to know about reliability as well; I'm contemplating the 42 as my next Glock purchase.

16. VBinSD

VBinSD

Mine had all the problems. Really frustrating to shoot. As most of the old posts advised - when I trimmed the slide lock all the problems went away. No more FT-anything. No more stovepipes. I've put hundreds of rounds thru it without any trouble. Also - there are very few complaints posted anymore. It did the trick for most users.

17. MajorD

MajorD

Got a 42 last year. Only issue I had was off the bat it would not cycle my reloads but ran perfect and continues to do so with factory. Now that there are a few hundred rounds threw her it works with the reloads too.
    At a gssf match the armorer told me to ship back my early ( part number without revision number ) mags for improved replacements but have not done so yet.

18. Ftttu

Ftttu

It is an excellent choice if your wife has problems racking the slide and is recoil sensitive. There are YouTube videos of women "objectively" choosing the G42 over other .380 makes.

My wife and college daughter actually had fun shooting mine. They always looked at me taking them shooting as a BIG negative but they really liked shooting the baby Glock.

Mine was an early model which gave me few problems but I sent it back to Glock to get the warranty fixes. Just make sure yours is up to date with those fixes, at least just for the peace of mind.

19. Retiredguns

Retiredguns

This a very early pistol, ser# AA. It has 20 rds through it. I will be the 2nd owner. Will Glock take care of me? Should I call and ask if it needs to be sent in or go ahead and shoot it first? I am taking the Wife to the range Saturday with 150 rds.

20. HEXE9

HEXE9 Supports Our Flag

Glock CS will update your pistol and magazines. Since it is an early production pistol, I would recommend having them do it.

I Personally wouldn't waste 3 boxes of ammo before sending it in. Save it to function check the pistol when you get it back from Glock.