close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Both of my boys need surgery

Discussion in 'Woof Memorial Critter's Corner' started by GotGlock1917, Sep 28, 2006.

1. GotGlock1917

GotGlock1917 Lifetime Member

Clancy (right) has an enlarged prostate. About three time normal size. He will be neutered Tuesday.

Baily (left) has bladder stones. They will be removed Tuesday.

They both started peeing blood last week.

Both dogs down at the same time. This won't be fun.

[​IMG]

2. Glock_36

Glock_36 Jason

My Prayers are with You for a Speedy Recovery for Both Boys.

3. GotGlock1917

Thanks G_36. I appreciate the thoughts. I'm sure we will get through it ok. Our guys are just really tough about taking their medicine.

Most people think I'm just stupid but these guys won't eat anything. You can't hide a pill from them very often and it is extremely difficult to shove it down their throats.

I've had dogs all my life (47 years) and never had trouble with medication until these two.

Oh well. It can't be as bad as Bailey's cataract surgery last year.

Thanks again,
    John

4. Glock_36

Glock_36 Jason

Do they have to take the pill whole? Our oldest Chihuahua has Arthritis and we give him Glucosomene(sp). We crush up 1/2 a pill and mix it with his soft food. We keep him separated from the rest until he is done eating. He can't tell the difference when he is eating. If they don't have to take it whole you can try this.

5. ATL Peach Girl

ATL Peach Girl ♥Meezers♥

Got Glock???

How did the boys come out of their surgeries?? I assume they are both doing well????

Please give us an update....... :hugs:

6. GotGlock1917

Hi Peachie. Thanks for the inquiry.

Their surgerys were scheduled for Tuesday. We took them in at 0700. A few hours later they called and said they were haveing trouble with a piece of equipment they need for pre-op blood work. A few hours later they called again and said they can't get the machine fixed in time and cancelled the surgerys.

It was rather disappointing but better than operating with incomplete blood work.

Soooo, They did them today, (thursday). Both boys got home 2 1/2 hours ago. I'm at work. They are on the couch with Mommy.
    Bailey had one large bladder stone removed. Clancy got neutered to relieve his swollen prostate, so he got two stones removed.:supergrin:

Clancy is doing very well as a eunuch. Bailey is not very comfortable and doesn't want to lay down. He actually appears to be trying to sleep standing up.:upeyes:

I hated to just bring them home and go to work but I had no choice this time. I hated taking Tuesday off for nothing.
    I hope they feel better when I get home.

I tend to worry to much. I'm sure they will be fine.

John

7. Armed&Feminine

Armed&Feminine Adhuc vivo!

I'm very glad that they both came out of surgery well! I don't blame the vet for postponing the procedures until the machine was up and running.

What type of stones did they have? Have you changed their diet to keep them from forming stones in the future (it might be easier than meds)? You might also want to consider distilled water for them (if you aren't already doing that). It seems to make a world of difference in quite a few dogs.

They are adorable! :hearts:

8. GotGlock1917

Clancy didn't have bladder stones. He just got neutered (two stones removed) to relieve his prostate.

Bailey had one bladder stone removed. Vet said she was going to "send it off". I've never seen a bladder stone in person. I thought a vet could tell struvite from calcium oxylate. We are just waiting to see. This is the first bladder stone in seven years. He gets filtered icewater straight from the fridge but I'm afraid that's not good enough.

Also, the reason Bailey was so miserable after the surgery?

They shaved his whole belly from his scrotum to his sternum on both sides and razor burned the hell out of him.
    He much better now. The staples don't even bother him.

John