Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I really like the show on Amazon. I've been a Michael Connelly reader for decades and Amazon has done a great job of adapting the character and stories for TV. One small item has bugged me since the TV debut. The producers have provided a very good sense of realism that adds greatly to the appeal. I make no specific reference to LAPD as I worked in Baltimore. That said, Bosch wears his spare mags (Kimber .45 by all accounts) at a 7:30 position. Kind of odd, but you pay your money and take your choice. What is off is that the mags are placed backwards in the mag pouch, necessitating a flip in the hand before they can be inserted in the mag well. Other Detectives have theirs oriented the same way, bullet tip facing away from the belt buckle or midline of the body.

Being somewhat bored at home (retired), I tracked down Connelly's publicist and sent her an e-mail outlining the above. Much to my surprise, she responded quickly and said she would pass along the observation to Connelly and the producers. She may have been stroking me, but I thought that any reply beyond a canned message was professional and unusual.

·
Registered
475 Posts
"Bosch" is on my list of shows to watch while "working remotely". I will remark that Harry's odd magazine orientation is frequently mentioned in forums such as this. I understand, however, that this is supposed to be the last season so we likely won't see the results of your worthwhile suggestion.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I suspected that I wasn't the only one to notice. :cop: My understanding is that one more season is planned. Hope so.

Reactions: Ohio Cop

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
We have a couple of “old school” (80s academy) guys who wear their mags with the “toes” rearward. It looks insane until you see how they do their reloads.

They do the index finger along the mag and the baseplate in the palm, remove, and come straight up into the mag well.

At this point; we don’t even try to retrain them. If it works, it works.

·
Registered
4,990 Posts
I sent an author an email through this website. I politely informed him that BAR stands for Browning Automatic Rifle, not Browning Assault Rifle. I also politely corrected his use of the word ‘clip’, informing him it should be ‘magazine’. Never heard back.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
We have a couple of “old school” (80s academy) guys who wear their mags with the “toes” rearward. It looks insane until you see how they do their reloads.

They do the index finger along the mag and the baseplate in the palm, remove, and come straight up into the mag well.

I just tried that. Pretty darn uncomfortable and awkward. However, if it works for them, God bless.

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
I just tried that. Pretty darn uncomfortable and awkward. However, if it works for them, God bless.
It is. It even looks bad and uncomfortable. But they still do it. For some reason they all carry their mag pouches at the 3-4 or 8-9 position (depending on hand) and have to bring their hands around to grab the reload. They don’t fare well in one handed drills, but to each their own.

Reactions: Ohsheepdog

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
It is. It even looks bad and uncomfortable. But they still do it. For some reason they all carry their mag pouches at the 3-4 or 8-9 position (depending on hand) and have to bring their hands around to grab the reload. They don’t fare well in one handed drills, but to each their own.
That's how I was trained. Allessi pancake at 4 or 5, extra mag at 7 or 8. Sometimes people would use a open top holster at three for extended range sessions/classes. I remember when the instructors would make fun of cops wearing their extra mags in the front. Appendix/Mexican and small of the back was frowned upon.

Now days, all the young ones run around with their gun aiming at their junk.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Previous supervisor of mine carries his spare mags backwards also. Said that’s how he was trained in the Air Force he was Security Police.

It works for him. Just looks odd.

·
Premium Member
26,236 Posts

I think that’s wise. You are faster with what you have done for yrs then a major change that might speed you up a hair.

I got new open top gamer mag carrier. Later shot El Presidnte with carry rig. It was commented my reload was faster from covered mag carrier, under cover garmet then exposed new carrier.
Flipping mag direction might be fun for malfunction drills. (You load mag for partner with inert training rounds randomly). They get FTF, must clear, continue.

·
Federal Member
29,531 Posts
Bosch in the books is Left handed. Titus Welliver is also Left handed. In the books Harry shoots left handed. Why in the Amazon series does Harry shoot right handed???

I do enjoy the books and the series.

:cool:

Reactions: Ohio Cop

·
Premium Member
3,635 Posts
Michael Connelly is a good friend of mine and I’ve consulted for him for his books and his series. Obviously, I know the proper orientation of magazines. Trying to get everything right on set is a bit whack a mole. Every time you see one thing and correct it, something else pops up. In the end, you’d be amazed what gets fixed prior to filming and is never seen in the final cut. The magazine orientation is something that could be easily corrected but it’s probably one in a thousand things being looked after. The firearms propmaster should have said something.

·
Premium Member
3,635 Posts
Here are two pictures from the set I took... One is with Titus, getting him ready for a scene. Mea Culpa.. As I stood there, as you see, you cant even see his weapon or his magazines. For the record, I always thought the placement of his spare magazines was a bit far back along his waist for my personal taste. The second picture is Michael himself sitting at Boschs desk at the Hollywood station. Later episodes were filmed on a set. This was the actual station.
43A36FB0-634E-4D1B-8CA8-ED1246214D00.jpeg
11DE7709-E7AB-4A9B-BC1F-4BC749D16290.jpeg

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
Here are two pictures from the set I took... One is with Titus, getting him ready for a scene. Mea Culpa.. As I stood there, as you see, you cant even see his weapon or his magazines. For the record, I always thought the placement of his spare magazines was a bit far back along his waist for my personal taste. The second picture is Michael himself sitting at Boschs desk at the Hollywood station. Later episodes were filmed on a set. This was the actual station.
View attachment 747698 View attachment 747702
Very cool!

Thanks!

Reactions: Ohsheepdog

·
Millenium #3936
6,435 Posts
I sent an author an email through this website. I politely informed him that BAR stands for Browning Automatic Rifle, not Browning Assault Rifle. I also politely corrected his use of the word ‘clip’, informing him it should be ‘magazine’. Never heard back.
I think people need to let the whole "clip" thing go. Nobody.. and I mean, nobody has ever been confused over the minor faux pas. The very same fighting men who began a transition from rifles using clips to rifles using mags were some of the first people to use the term synonymously. There are written manuals that refer to a magazine as a clip.. and the list goes on. Correct or not, the term/word is part of the worldly lexicon and has been used synonymously with magazine for decades. There are more important specificities to worry about.

Reactions: snowbird.40

·
Registered
5,659 Posts
Well, it is a cool series and entertaining as hell! SAR, you're doing good work! Now on with the show!

·
Registered
14,110 Posts
Michael Connelly is a good friend of mine and I’ve consulted for him for his books and his series. Obviously, I know the proper orientation of magazines. Trying to get everything right on set is a bit whack a mole. Every time you see one thing and correct it, something else pops up. In the end, you’d be amazed what gets fixed prior to filming and is never seen in the final cut. The magazine orientation is something that could be easily corrected but it’s probably one in a thousand things being looked after. The firearms propmaster should have said something.
Are you Rick Jackson or Tim Marcia? Connelly refers to them often in the acknowledgments....

·
Registered
6,928 Posts
Are you Rick Jackson or Tim Marcia? Connelly refers to them often in the acknowledgments....
Listened to a very good podcast with Michael Connelly about those two. Makes my yard work much more bearable!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts