Glock Talk banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How many times can you use a bore-snake before it's no longer usable? Are they washable? I'm thinking of getting one for my Remington 700 and would like some info, thanks.

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I believe they are washable, but I wonder when the brass or copper or whatever the abrasive material wears out?

·
Registered
192 Posts
The boresnakes are an excellet tool for their niche, weapons where the bolt is difficult to remove for cleaning from the breach. You Remington 700 is not one of those, however it is a useful addition for the times you want to quickly remove dust or make sure you have some rust preventative in the bore in the field.

They are washable and you can use them to apply different solvents or oils. They do not replace your cleaning rods, brushes, jags and patches, just supplement them.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
A Bore-Snake that is slightly damp with Break Free CLP is a good tool for making a pass or two through the barrel if you won't be able to clean immediately. Gets most of the crud out and prevents rust.

It takes a lot of oil to make the snake feel slightly oily, and you want to keep it in a plastic bag.

I shoot trap once a week, when I get home I run the oily snake twice through the barrel of my 11-87, maybe a drop of oil on moving parts through the open action, and wipe the exterior with a slightly oily rag. The gun goes 1,000 shells betwen "real" cleanings with only this treatment, never a malfunction and never any rust.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Instead of a plastic bag for oiled or solvent soaked boresnake storage I keep mine, about a dozen or so, in those plastic Rx containers from Walgreens. They are lightly soaked with either Kroil or Breakfree CLP.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.