Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for bore cleaners and Hoppe's 9 still is a favorite. But, which one? The Lubricating oil, Gun Bore Cleaner, Gun Bore Cleaner Solvent or the Copper Solvent? Is one better for coated and one for plated?

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Bore cleaner and forget the others except maybe the Elite Oil, which is good stuff.

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
There's no magic in bore cleaning. It comes down to bore brushes, patches and nitro solvent. Rinse and repeat until the bore is clean. Friction and scrubbing are the answers. Anything powerful enough to actually dissolve lead or copper would have to be handled like nuclear waste.
Hoppes #9 is as good as any, and smells familiar.
Moon

·
NRA Patron Life Member
13,501 Posts
#9 to clean bores and other grungy areas and as an aftershave if I have a hot date with Gal Gadot.
That's my girl your talking about.........

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Dream on, kids.

Gal told me that she prefers Kano Kroil on her men, since I wore it on our first date.

:)

·
Banned
2,404 Posts
When they changed the formula for Hoppes number 9 they took the copper solvent out of it.

Hoppes used to be my favorite because I'd clean the gun and then I'd let it sit wet(With Hoppes) for a day or two. Then I'd punch the tube with a bore patch and it would come out this funky green color because of the copper the solvent drew out of the bore.

It doesn't do that anymore so I just use Break Free and every 6 months or so I use CLP copper solvent

·
Grumpy Old Guy
11,769 Posts
Rifle, pistol or shotgun? What are you trying to clean out?
I do not have any problems with the barrels on any of my firearms and just push a oily patch thru the bores and that seems to work for me.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My pistol has lead deposits that just brushing doesn't work. I shoot plated and coated bullets. The coated seem to leave some lead in the barrel. I'm looking for a good cleaner. I like Ed's Red but thought I'd check out the Hoppe's #9 that a lot of shooter seem to like. I went to the Hoppe's web site. I'm trying to find a good cleaner and this is what I found............
Elite Bore gel
Black Gun Cleaner
Black Copper Cleaner
#9 Gun Bore Cleaner
#9 Copper Gun Bore Cleaner
#9 Foaming Bore Cleaner
Hoppe's seems to have twice this number of lubes.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
I use Hoppe's #9 for normal cleaning, and every once in a while use Hoppe's Bench Rest to clean the copper buildup.

I saw a comment that Hoppe's #9 doesnt dissolve copper, but if I dont wipe down the copper slotted tip, it turns green by the next time I clean my gun. So something in that #9 is dissolving copper.

·
NRA Patron Life Member
13,501 Posts
My pistol has lead deposits that just brushing doesn't work. I shoot plated and coated bullets. The coated seem to leave some lead in the barrel. I'm looking for a good cleaner. I like Ed's Red but thought I'd check out the Hoppe's #9 that a lot of shooter seem to like. I went to the Hoppe's web site. I'm trying to find a good cleaner and this is what I found............
Elite Bore gel
Black Gun Cleaner
Black Copper Cleaner
#9 Gun Bore Cleaner
#9 Copper Gun Bore Cleaner
#9 Foaming Bore Cleaner
Hoppe's seems to have twice this number of lubes.

IF you've got a LOT of leading, get some Kano-Kroil.

Plug the end of the barrel(s) and fill the bore with Kroil. Plug the other end.

Let it sit 24 hours.

Dump the Kroil, then use a bronze bore brush at least one size larger than the caliber you're cleaning, wet with more Kroil.

Finish up with a couple of wet patches, then dry.
Oil 'er up.

·
NRA Patron Life Member
13,501 Posts
So your the competition Gal told me about

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Nah.

She told me that she didn't want to see you, anymore. :)

·
Registered
4,263 Posts
Yeah, if you want to get all medieval on it, the Lewis lead remover is the ticket. I don't shoot much bare lead anymore, but the Lewis was an article of faith for the old .38 revolver wadcutter league.
Thnx for the link, DirectDrive.
Moon

Reactions: GlockyQ

·
Registered
977 Posts
I like Shooter's Choice the best. It cleans and lubes well. I found it did a better job on the bore than the standard Hoppe's #9. I hear the elite hoppe's is very good though. Also, I used to use Butch's Bore Shine. It's heavy on the ammonia, but it cleans like a whistle.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts