Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8,628 Posts
Excellent, neutral article, weighing pros and cons effectively. It didn't surprise me at all that the Browning Hi Power has a perfect alignment index.

·
Registered
14,701 Posts
The "alignment index" is somewhat subjective compared to bore axis which is just physics. Different people prefer different grip angles depending on familiarity and hand size/shape. Everyone experiences higher recoil impulse. It may not be enough to bother them, but it's there.

·
MacGyver
7,587 Posts
Correlation does not always equal Causation. This is like measuring skull bumps and determining which chairs are comfortable. As ronin says, everyone is different, hand builds are different, grip strengths and techniques/styles are different. There are favorites (there will be 100 swear by-s pretty soon), but none that is ideal for everyone. Is it the fault of the gun?-- not really-- training, and baseline technique, may make an individual completely incompatible with one (or any) platform.

Finally, what you are accustomed to-- if you like Momma's apple pie, you may not like Auntie's, just because of being accustomed to Momma's even if she never won any medals, but Auntie got golds.

·
I feel pretty.
3,946 Posts
Every single one of their conclusions is completely wrong.

Bore axis is height of the bores center plane, over the height of your hand. The bottom of the beaver tail. Not the center of the trigger. The lower, the better for recoil control.

The bad axis angle they're talking about, gives your middle, ring, and pinky fingers more pull for flip control. It's superior, not inferior. A thumbs forward pinch grip is used by the best shooters out there.

Comfort? There is nothing comfortable about the best performance grips. They are completely uncomfortable. But eventually your muscles strengthen, your elbows unlock, and your tendons stretch a bit. Eventually it'll be perfectly comfortable. Yeah, I hated proper grip techniques when I was newb. And I recall how it felt, when I see the grimace on the face of a newb every time I move their thumbs and rotate their support hand forward.

And finally they rag on little slides being hard to purchase when racking. Which is purely a technique problem. With my techniques, the smallest women can rack a CZ TSO 40 or 45.

CZ Tso, Glock, and 2011's are ruling competitions everywhere for a reason. And note this...........the best 2011 grip frames (a $600 part), have a lot more in common with a Glock grip, than a book end straight 1911 grip. As does the CZ.

I've often found that the ''it doesn't feel good'' or ''it doesn't fit my hand'' is perfectly synonymous for: ''I'm too lazy to learn the proper way to grip this, I'd rather lose every match I attend.''

·
I feel pretty.
3,946 Posts
The future of all pistols, note the Glock-like beaver tail, and the CZ-ish grip frame. Bore axis appears to be negative, actually in your hand, not over it:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Bore axis is height of the bores center plane, over the height of your hand. The bottom of the beaver tail. Not the center of the trigger. The lower, the better for recoil control.

Comfort? There is nothing comfortable about the best performance grips.

I've often found that the ''it doesn't feel good'' or ''it doesn't fit my hand'' is perfectly synonymous for: ''I'm too lazy to learn the proper way to grip this, I'd rather lose every match I attend.''
The author wasn't saying the bore axis height is measured from the trigger centerline, just that on older hammer-fired pistols it often was (coincidentally) the same as the trigger centerline. In engineering we call this offset a "moment," which then produces a torque, and the author picked the centerline of the beavertail for the measurement instead of the top off the hand. Semantics. Does offset matter? Sometimes. But put any one of the guns mentioned in the article in a really good shooters hands and none of it will matter. Like you said, comfort is irrelevant. I'm with you on that, if people just got out and shot, and shut-upped about all their ergonomic complaints and gun design "flaws" they'd realize it was the shooter and not the gun.

·
I feel pretty.
3,946 Posts
I'll wait until Dan Wesson, CZ, SVI, or someone copies it.

Or at least wait until the tooling is paid off so they can sell them at normal price ranges.

·
Registered
26 Posts
This article has been around for a few years, it gets updated periodically with new guns on the list. Glad to see it's still helpful to some, while making others act like they sat on a wasp lol

·
Registered
126,334 Posts
I'll wait until Dan Wesson, CZ, SVI, or someone copies it.

Or at least wait until the tooling is paid off so they can sell them at normal price ranges.
Not sure what a normal price range entails, but I don’t think they will ever be less than $3500-$4000, even without the extras.

If CZ or STI copy the design, it won’t be anything special, in my opinion. If the Alien is as high quality as what I’m thinking it will be, its not something those companies will replicate.

It’s a boutique kind of gun and those companies are just mass production.

·
Registered
11,114 Posts
I traded my Steyr M9-A1 for a Steyr S9-A1. Although the M9 had the best shooting characteristics of any 9mm pistol I've ever shot the S9 is better for CCW with only minimal more recoil. Both are great pistols and I understand why the author of the article wants to measure a Caracal. Those should be fine pistols, if the company ever really gets off the ground.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts