Book gifts

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by bdcochran, Sep 30, 2018.

1. bdcochran

bdcochran

I have multiple nieces/nephews with newborns. On eBay I was finding 20 Golden books used and delivered for $18 a pop. I also found used Dr. Seuss books for slightly higher.

Most people do learn to read at home. With all the busyness in modern life, we might forget to buy books for the little ones.

2. KWalrad

KWalrad No Wire Hangers!

Thrift stores, yard sales, and Half Price Books are my go-to places for books. Although, the HPB near me is anti-gun, so I don't give them the business i did before they put up the signs.

Reading is fundamental. Good readers make.good learners.

FullClip likes this.

3. bdcochran

bdcochran

Used books would normally cost me $1 each, delivered. Sent a couple hundred to the nieces and nephews this year for their babies. Have a 14 year nephew who has been out of the country for probably 13 years. Sent him 3 Musketeers, 20,000 Leagues under the Sea, Count of Monte Cristo, pocket dictionary, desk dictionary, and a book of irregular English verbs.

I bought myself two beginning reading books in French. I explain. I can already read/write/speak French. However, every noun has a gender. Fortunately, there are only two in French (3 in German!). I was testing myself on gender and made notes in the books because the gender of a noun was not always given. (Moreover, there is only one gender in the article (meaning the word "the" -les) in French, with the plurals of the nouns in the language sounding the same and spelled differently! The books will be handed down within the next few years.a

Just to drive you nuts
    the cat -male - le chat
    the cat - male - plural - les chats
    the cat -female - la chatte
    the cat -female -plural - les chattes

chat and chatte do not sound the same. chats and chattes sound the same.

If you already speak Spanish, you would mispronounce "le" as "lay", whereas it is pronounced "ler"