close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bone breakers

Discussion in 'GSSF' started by diamondmike, Feb 24, 2010.

1. diamondmike

diamondmike

I was just wondering if anyone has ever shot bones like cow leg bones etc. with different calibers to see which caliber and bullet weight breaks the bones best.

This would be a good test to run to find the CCW gun that makes you feel safe.

Maybe do something like stick the bone in the middle of a ballistic material to give it a more real life experience.
    This would give you a idea of which caliber is best after the hollow point mushrooms.
    I mean maybe a 45acp for example may break bones with a FMJ but with a hollow point it may slow down to where the bullet wont break a bone.

I would run this test myself but I cant think of a place to find the kind of bones that I am talking about.

2. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

go shoot an elk,

take the bones and stick them in your jello,

then shoot them,

myself i would rather give the bones to my dog and carry something in a respectable caliber range ..

3. eisman

eisman ARGH! CLM

Shooting live animals is the only true test in my experience.

4. cciman

cciman

Too many variables to have a "best caliber" for CCW.

All calibers have potential to kill with one shot, all also have the potential to be totally ineffective. You may substitute the words "bone breaker" in the above sentence.

There's plenty of real research out there, that you don't have to do your own poorly designed experiments.

5. Adjuster

Adjuster

I am not sure there is a caliber that would not break a bone if you hit it.

6. sns3guppy

sns3guppy

No, it really wouldn't be a good test. It might make you feel safe, but that really doesn't mean much.

You don't employ deadly force in a gunfight to break bones. Carry a baseball bat if that's your goal.

You have no way of determining how a bullet will react upon striking bone on it's way into someone, given the angle, bone density, etc. Suffice it to say that neither a skull, nor a rib cage or sternum will be much of an issue if you're firing center mass with good shot placement in an acceptable chambering.

Shooting at bones stuck in jello won't really do anything to change that. It might be an entertaining exercise to wow and facinate those who are drawn in by the gun rags, but otherwise, meaningless.

7. 2glock40s

2glock40s

Federal Premium 155gr Tactical Bonded Tactical HP will break a femur from about 4 feet away. Trust me.

8. bustedknee

bustedknee The Snowflakes have invaded GT

I shot 357Sig Gold Dots into a Moose skull. One from the side and one from the front. Both were found in the brain.

[​IMG]

9. ronin.45

ronin.45

This test would be better applied to hunting rounds than CCW. In hunting breaking a shoulder and penetrating through are important.

10. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

heavy for caliber flat faced lead with the biggest feasible meplat is your bonebreaker.

It might not feed well but it'll break bones.

11. Berto

Berto woo woo

:goodpost:

IMO it's a relevant question, as many rounds have failed against bone in gunfights....and for hunting, it can be critical.

12. just a shooter

just a shooter

yep, .22 lr will break some bones, most pistol rounds will break bones,(except maybe .25acp) and all rifle rounds will.

12ga is a toss up in pellets, slugs will of course.

13. BobbyT

BobbyT

Please don't feed actual bones to your dog. The splinters can really tear up their insides.

They enjoy rawhide just fine, and if you have a stubborn idiot like mine who'll tear through anything in no time, you can get compressed rawhide that will make even the most determined dog take his time tearing it to shreds.

14. harleyfx69

harleyfx69

bobby, no cooked bones go to them, and that is where i have heard that splinters come from when it is dried out and splintery,

fresh bones i have heard and felt are still chewy and "soft" if that makes sense,