GlockTalk Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Not a lever guy but the two that appeal to me are a 357 mag and a 38-55.

·
Registered
3,274 Posts
Since I have reitred I've stopped shooting guns centered around my police job. Meaning slowed down on my semis, hand gun and long gun, and picking up more on revolvers.

The one gap in my collection is a long gun that isn't semi auto. Basically I am looking for a plinker that could work as a hunting rifle, probably boar/pig because there are plenty around here, and if needed home defense. I've probably got a half a dozen guns I can use before it got used but just case.

I have it narrowed down to a Ruger Scout, left hand of course and a lever gun in .357 most likely although other calibers are a maybe. .357 makes sense because I reload for it.

What does the hive think.
I'd go lever over bolt for what you're describing.

In handgun calibers, the .357 is fine, though I'm personally partial to the .45 Colt. Big decision for you is Rossi vs Marlin (Remlin?) vs Henry. My last couple Remlins went back to the factory shortly after purchase but both seem fine now.

For a dedicated heavy-hitter, I'm very much taken with the .45-70 Marlin Guide Gun, though I have not had a chance to go out after any boar with mine. Great fun at the range if you enjoy a bit of a thump from a man's caliber. Don't forget the venerable .30-30 either; at the risk of being labelled a Fudd I think a Marlin 336 in .30-30 is something every shooter should have.

Whatever you get, hope it works well for you.
Grumpy

·
Registered
31,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Are you no longer in CA, or do you actually have boar/pig there?

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk
Still in California. Plenty of pig around here and plenty of public land where you can get pig tags cheap and plentiful. State Parks about 5 miles from me traps and kills them in a heavily used state park.

·
Registered
6,933 Posts
Reloading makes it very cost effective to plink with revolver cartridges. I have lever guns in 357 and 44 magnum. I have revolvers to match, but have not yet decided to buy levers to match the 327 and 41 revolvers. It can be a slippery slope.
I hope to take the 44 deer hunting for the first time this season, just because. I have owned one bolt action, a Remington 700 30.06 for 40+ years.

·
Registered
1,920 Posts
I prefer the power of a rifle cartridge if I'm packing a rifle. Yes, the magnum revolver cartridges are fun. And with .44 Magnum you're not giving up much (aside from range).
With the Magnum handgun rounds I found less reliability generally. For a do it all rifle, I'd go with a .30-30 Win.
It's good to 200 yards or maybe 300 with the right ammo. It has enough power to hunt with and certainly has a track record in this regard, but is very capable for defensive use (where it also enjoys a track record).
The best options with .30-30 are the Winchester 94, Marlin 336 or Henry...probably in that order.

For bolt action, I can appreciate the Ruger, but it is heavy for a "scout rifle." It also sacrifices barrel length for a flash hider, which is kind of obnoxious. And the magazine reliability and quality (at least the polymer offerings) are questionable. I'd rather have the CZ 527 by a long shot.

Between the 527 and an 1894? Ouch. Both? But I'd go for the Winchester first.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
All of your ideas are good, solidly researched arms that work for you.
When I was thinking along the same lines, I purchased a CZ527 (carbine sized mini Mauser action) chambered in 7.62 X 39. The chamber is optimized for steel case ammo, and that is where my rifle's zero is. The groups are very nice. But, my first batch of reloads shoots even tighter, just an inch and a half high and to the right.
The recoil is such that I put a hundred rounds through it without flinching one day (and the next day I wished I'd only shot thirty).
I had fun with mine while I had it.
Had to replace the magazine that it came with it. The feed lips were off and wouldn't allow smooth feeding. But the new magazine made a world of difference. I was surprised to find you have to change the front sight post something to do with how cz sight in there rifles. Windage was perfect from the factory.
Most accurate ammunition I found for it was hornady steel case sst but I've been told hornady has discontinued that line.
Wolf was plenty accurate enough for plinking surprisingly lapua showed about the same accuracy.
Overall nice carbine enjoyed it may get another one eventually.

·
Texas Born & Bred
3,360 Posts
If your hunting in wooded area that requires a fast handling rifle and not pinpoint accuracy at around 100 yards or less, I would go the .357 route. Recoil is negligible and if you can use open sights reasonably well, way faster than working a bolt and reacquiring a scope. Around 75 yards plus, I would start preferring a bolt with low to medium power glass in .243, 7.62X39 or so.

·
NRA Patron Life Member
13,421 Posts
First of all, CONGRATULATIONS on retirement!!!!

Retirement is the BEST THING I've ever done for myself!

Second.......... get a lever gun first. Even though you load/reload for .357, go with a Marlin in .44 Magnum.
I've taken hogs with the .44 magnum and also with my .45-70 Guide Gun.

Then, go for the Remington 700 in .308 Win, as either the 700 SPS AAC-SD or as the 700 SPS.

The 20" AAC-SD is one compact TACK DRIVER!!!!!!!!
Both the Sierra MatchKing in 168 and the 165 gr GameKing boolits are incredibly accurate.

The bottom line is this........................
Since you're now retired, there's no rush in deciding. BUY BOTH, though!!!!!
Heck, you've got the rest of your life to enjoy them!!!!!!!

Besides......... in Retirement, you've got SIX Saturdays, and a Sunday!!!!!!!! :)

Thank you for your service!

EDITED TO ADD:
Go with the Marlin 1895G in .45-70.
It'll do whatever any other pistol caliber lever gun can do, and what most bolt guns can do, too!!!!!

Plus....... the old .45-70 "Gummint" is the only government that I truly trust!!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
Henry new X guns look to be pretty nice to knock around and enjoy.

·
Huge Member
11,066 Posts
I bought a used Marlin 94 in 44 mag and killed bunch of deer with it. I was jonesing for for one in 357 to go with my new/old Ruger Security Six. I ran across a rather obscure pump gun instead, an IMI Tiberwolf. It's kind of a cool rifle and much quicker to handle than my lever actions. Good luck finding one and yeah I'm bragging a bit. ;)

Oh, and it breaks down

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I've shot both the ruger scout and the styer scout . If you have the means the styer scout is the best. Styer has expanded the scout with more clambering options they offer 7mm08 and 6.5 creedmore now. Unfortunately I dont believe they do a left hand but I could be wrong.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
Still in California. Plenty of pig around here and plenty of public land where you can get pig tags cheap and plentiful. State Parks about 5 miles from me traps and kills them in a heavily used state park.
Learn something new everyday, thanks for the info.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
CAcop, thanks for your years of service. I'm of the opinion that you SHOULD get both as you said. Now, as for which one first? I'm a bit confused as to the choice of a niche gun in a pistol caliber lever gun vs a genuine do it all and do it anywhere rifle.. Me, I LOVE my Browning B92 in .44 mag, and I really enjoy cranking out .38spls from my Rossi and Winchester levers. I would go lever first. Short barrel .308 rifles inside a structure be LOUD! That, and faster rate of fire(for me) of a lever gun make it the pick for defense.

Be safe.

·
Registered
31,035 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I've shot both the ruger scout and the styer scout . If you have the means the styer scout is the best. Styer has expanded the scout with more clambering options they offer 7mm08 and 6.5 creedmore now. Unfortunately I dont believe they do a left hand but I could be wrong.
They don't make left hand. If they had i would have bought one long ago.

Reactions: ThomasM4

·
Texas Born & Bred
3,360 Posts
I bought a used Marlin 94 in 44 mag and killed bunch of deer with it. I was jonesing for for one in 357 to go with my new/old Ruger Security Six. I ran across a rather obscure pump gun instead, an IMI Tiberwolf. It's kind of a cool rifle and much quicker to handle than my lever actions. Good luck finding one and yeah I'm bragging a bit. ;)

Oh, and it breaks down

That is one neat setup!!

·
NRA Benefactor
5,287 Posts
As a lefty, I prefer levers though they seem heavier but that may be due to the tubular magazine putting all the weight up front. Looking for a 30-30 and 45-70 as mine are all 44magnum at this time.
IMG_0875.JPG

Reactions: byf43

·
RIP Stan Lee.. . .
17,254 Posts
Unless the hogs are small, I'd go 44 mag, levergun.

Reactions: ironhead7544
21 - 40 of 71 Posts