BOL distance from prisons question

Discussion in 'Survival/Preparedness Forum' started by BlueBayShepherd, Jul 20, 2020.

1. BlueBayShepherd

BlueBayShepherd

Hi everyone,

I have a quick question:

What would y'all consider an acceptable distance from prisons for your Bug Out Location (BOL)?

In the event of a Without Rule of Law (WROL) situation, escaped prisoners would be a significant danger to anyone who lives near a prison. Most likely, the escaped prisoners would even form gangs, and try to target people.

Would you feel comfortable having a BOL with a large maximum security prison 40 miles away, and a medium security prison around 70 miles away?

I know 40 miles and 70 miles isn't too close to the prisons, but it isn't terribly far away either.

What would your minimum acceptable distance from a prison be for you to feel comfortable having your BOL there?

In SHTF/TEOTWAWKI, would escaped prisoners be a concern for you, if your BOL is at the above distances from 2 prisons?

Also, what distance from a major highway would you be comfortable with for a BOL location?

Thanks for your help!

2. bdcochran

bdcochran

Multiple questions. Short answers:
    1. the road that leads from your bug-out location to the big city also leads from the big city to your bug-out location.
    2. never assume that prisoners will walk anywhere. Given the choice, like other human beings, they will drive their own cars or borrowed cars to your location.
    3. how far do you have to be from the main road? Easy, if you have to hand carry construction materials/food/water for an hour on each trip from the main road to your non-roaded bug-out-location you are probably good to go and safe . . . unless the local tweekers have already set up a meth lab or are cultivating pot illegally on your property.

tuica likes this.

3. BlueBayShepherd

BlueBayShepherd

Thanks for your reply, bdcochran!

4. slym2none

slym2none

Why would the prisoners get out? I'd think if anything, the people in charge would pull a literal "lock them up and throw away the key", and let them rot and starve in there.

Doc Holliday and MSP Sarge like this.
  5. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

If the "people in charge" are Liberals, They are already letting prisoners out and playing catch and release with criminals on the street, many of whom are multiple repeat offenders.

Friends of mine live near a prison and they've never had problems with escapees because those who do escape instinctively want to get as far away from the prison as possible.

6. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Because of a pandemic SHTF?

7. BlueBayShepherd

BlueBayShepherd

Hi slym2none, thanks for your reply.

As Borg Warner mentioned, its very possible that the governor or other government officials might decide to release some or all of the prisoners if everything is falling apart.

With regards to throwing away the key and letting them starve, I think if the guards left and the prisoners were unattended for days on end, they would eventually figure out a way to break out.

Also, their friends/fellow gang members outside the prison would probably try to break them out as well. With no guards to stop them, the prisoners' pals could show up at the prison with a stolen bulldozer, excavator, cutting torches, ladders, and all kinds of tools, and get to work on busting the prison open.

I don't think even the strongest most sturdily built prison could withstand a determined attempt to break into it, without any guards around to stop it.

8. slym2none

slym2none

That's a big "if".

Again, why not leave them in there???

;)

9. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

In California it's not an "if". The governor is in charge of the prisons and he's let out some of the worst convicted felons ever to be incarcerated. And in New York city The Mayor is the LOC (Liberal In Charge) and he doesn't allow most criminals to be held after they've been arrested.

10. slym2none

slym2none

What if the prisoners go into their cells at night like normal, cell doors are shut and locked, and when they wake up, no one is there to open the cells?

MSP Sarge likes this.
  11. slym2none

slym2none

In a SHTF situation, politics have gone out the window, the governor might be holed up behind his guard or dead, no one is taking orders from anyone unless they have the means to make others do it, and the Washington Democrats have been seen to be some cruel MFers, so who knows what they would want or do?

The "PIC" I am referring to are the warden and the guards. I am looking at only a few people caring about relatives in prison, and again, in a SHTF sitch, not many of them are gonna make it. Prisoners locked in cells, no one to let them out, no one coming to rescue them. Yeah, that's my ideal scenario there, anyway.

;)

12. Will Beararms

Will Beararms Millennium Member

Look around you. Politicians are not taking care of law abiding people now. Their appointees and executive level LEO’s and other bureaucrats will blindly follow as they are doing now. What we are seeing is an eye opener to what would happen in a WROL scenario. Be thankful you have been given a glimpse into the future.

cbetts1 and Borg Warner like this.
  13. ChuteTheMall

ChuteTheMall Wallbuilder and Weapon Bearer

Then breakfast will be late.

Chris8111, NoStress and Will Beararms like this.
  14. cowboy1964

cowboy1964

I think assuming that 100% of the prison population will be contained if there is no one around is not realistic.

Personally though I'd be more concerned to my proximity to large urban areas. The number of bad people flowing out of there will dwarf prisoners.

15. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Back to the original question...I think 'as far as possible' is the answer. On the other hand, every town/city has a jail and every county has a county jail so how far can you really get away from a jail?

With the understanding that prisons house convicted felons while local and county jails house those who've been convicted of misdemeanors and alleged felons who haven't been convicted yet i.e, awaiting trial.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2020
  16. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

Several things to look at, here. First, no matter what event happens, people will be awake and at work, in a prison. Second, if there is an obvious “oh, holy crap”, it’s likely the doors will be left open to let everyone out. Likely, after the guards take all they can carry in regard to small arms and other things to help their family. Third, at least half of the prisoners will just want to get to their home. The other half contains the few who just want to watch the world burn. Fourth, unless they are on work release, the people coming out of prison will be at a huge disadvantage. Imagine starting the end of the world in cheaply made clothing and rubber shoes and only what you can scavenge.

A prison would be a great place to make your home, if you had enough like-minded teammates and could hold onto it.

17. sas-G19

sas-G19

Humorous truth. A few years ago, a prisoner on a hospital trip got loose, and was slogging around in the countryside for several miles in the middle of the night. When apprehended he had almost returned himself to the front door of the prison he was trying to get away from. I suppose he didn't really have a plan.

18. cbetts1

cbetts1

During some national catastrophic event, it's more likely that government agencies will be confiscating supplies from the hoarders (prepared people). You will not be permitted to travel. Many states banned ''unnecessary travel for this virus. People were not supposed to travel to vacation or remote homes. It's more likely that government/LEO check points will be set up and you will be considered a criminal if you have a vehicle full of supplies.

19. FireForged

FireForged Millenium #3936 Millennium Member

Bro.. I hate to tell you but there are more thugs who are not in prison. The idea of a marauding prison gang is probably your last concern. Honestly... the proximity to a prison would not be part of my survival matrix.

20. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

Go where you want to go. The criminals you must fear the most aren't even in prison.

FullClip and Ross-in-Pa like this.