close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Boiled rice in bacon grease?

Discussion in 'Food Forum' started by Dawes, Sep 12, 2004.

1. Dawes

Dawes

When I was in the service, we had a cookout in our duty area with family members invited. One of our senior NCO's set up a large cooking pot over a gas flame and dropped about 6 packs of bacon into it. Then, after a while he scooped out the cooked bacon from the now-boiling fat and dumped in a bag of rice. I had my doubts, but when the rice was done cooking it was surprisingly good, with the bacon bits mixed in. His wife was Korean, so maybe this is a Korean recipe?

2. noway

noway

{Boiled rice in bacon grease?}

Don't think it is a korean thing. My family have used bacon drippings for years. My older grand parents would cook just about anything and everything in bacon oil & fats. They never knew what cooking oils where and much less wouldn't spend the money on it and or could afford it. ;f

Bacon drippings are a common good seasoning for cooking meats in, beans and moisturizer_for fish. Next time you cook a pot of beans, threw in a few bacon strips or better yet smoke ham hocks. You will get alot of flavor, better than any ham buillion.

3. Penman

Penman Goauche User

Sounds good. A nice way to offend the Adkins and Low-Fat dieters simultaneously!

4. Walter45Auto

Walter45Auto

I've had French fries cooked in bacon grease before. They were pretty good.

;g

;8 ;I

5. chevrofreak

chevrofreak Senior Member

Bacon grease kicks ***.

fry the bacon, remove, cut into small pieces, set aside. dump some of those frozen cubed hashbrown things in and cook, then add the bacon back in. top with sauteed onions and cheese.