Glock Talk banner

BOG web site has been hacked!

1K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  Mang Danny 
#1 ·
Masamang balita! I found out just now that our web site (www.bandofglockers.org) has been compromised. As per my service provider, it was hacked and purged of all files and not only BOG's site, damay pati yung other domain in the same account.

Now what can you make of that! Wala naman akong nasasagasahan at kung bakit napagdiskitahan pa ang site natin. I have a new BOG design and was planning to upload them today but to my surprise when I cannot access the default folder. My service provider cannot tell me when this happened but say will restore the last back up. I just hope our membership database is not like last year version. And all those photos from Doc Alvin and the rest...

Sa mga web expert, I need help to fortify the BOG's site. Appreciate any feedback.

Or tell me guys, worth it ba tong ginagawa ko? Cancel ko na ba? Baka may ayaw sa bandofglockers.org na web site.

#2 ·
:sad:

My Bersa website got hacked in 2004 and then 2005 (I was informed
by the providers the attack originated in Malaysia). Buti na lang,
I had all reference files backed up on HDD's/CD's. Upload uli.
The discussion threads were permanently lost, though.

As for reasons "why"...
My marine macroalgal database got hacked in 2002.
No reason I can think of for anyone to do that --lumot 'yon, no?
I think most webmaster-victims are collaterals: iba yung actual
target ng hacker, na-damay lang ang marami.

I use free webhosting lang, which is really vulnerable to attack,
hence my multiple backup of files.

Ang advice ko lang, isn't technical in nature. Websites can generally
be clasified into two groups, "for-profit" and "non-profit". The
latter are mostly reference material or archives, and most are
describable as gratis services to the general public. Libre na nga,
e, so "consumer complaints" don't quite matter so much.

If you like your work, it doesn't matter whether the public feels
the same way. You can't please everyone, nor even know how
to please everyone.

Life is short, and your life is yours to spend.
Build/rebuild what is worthwhile to you.
If what you find worthwhile is a helpful service to others,
then perhaps it may be pleasing to God, as well.

h.

#3 ·
I admit, its a lousy feeling when somebody mess up your effort for no apparent reason except maybe to prove their technological superiority. (Barking at the wrong tree dahil wala naman akong sinabi eh. Suko agad ako dahil I'm from old school, trying hard middle age, technologically challenged and not worth a conquer) My immediate reaction was to initiate a witch hunt or to do something to get even, but...ano mapapala ko.

you're right, horge. your post holds scores of wisdom specially the last part. yes, I will rebuilt! if need be, start from square one.

now i feel better.
------
PS. if i may quote...
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have an everlasting life"

fellow BOGs, the holiest week of the whole year is coming. may you find peace in your hearts and may we retain the spiritual depth that this week is trying to convey.

#5 ·
mostly html with couple of asp pages for the database maintenance. back-end database is access and used mixed tools of dreamweaver, fireworks, photoshop, swish/flash. no fancy high tech, just straightforward validation of security on the membership update using asp. if your userid and password match ed, you're in.

but its a total search n destroy mission. the whole BOG site was cleaned up including another harmless-sounding domain name that contains only photos.

#12 ·
okay lang yun, vega. I'll just come up with a new design albeit, the membership database will be couple of months old. I should have something by the weekend. One man show kasi ako ngayon sa office, nakabaskon ang boss.

#14 ·
3 weeks sucks but that will be my game comes July. The boss and family is going(again) to Europe...then Asia. Nape-pressure ako pag charge ako sa IS Dept. Namumuti buhok ko.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.