Bodycam Shows Armed Suspect Running at Michigan Deputy Before Being Shot

Discussion in 'Cop Talk' started by DonGlock26, Jul 14, 2020.

1. 7th District

7th District

Donut just did a break down vid, complete with Armchair QB comments.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2020
  2. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

If that is true, and she got nine hits that is pretty impressive.

Watching the video I counted 10 shots so nine hits under the circumstances is pretty damn good.

OK, a story dated today says the police have as yet not released how many shots were fired or how many times the man was hit. So where did this donut guy get the info he was shot. 9 times?

Anyone got any info about how many times the guy was hit?

And the story says the guy died in surgery, so he took nine hits and made it to the hospital and into surgery before dieing?

3. Deltic

Deltic

That is enough to make me rethink carrying a small pistol, I'm going to upgrade.

g30nut, DonGlock26 and slym2none like this.
  4. slym2none

slym2none

IDC how close the energy-ratings are... .45ACP will do more damage/destruction, bullet for bullet, than a 9mm.

IMHbsO, that guy would have gone down in 3-4 hits from a .45 - but again, there are all sorts of positives on the 9mm side. Just sayin'.

5. Dragoon44

Dragoon44 Unfair Facist Lifetime Member

Where is the info on what caliber the deputies Glock was?

6. S.O.Interceptor

S.O.Interceptor Khem-Adam

Why is everyone talking about the light causing the stoppage, and limp wristing? The guy clearly grabbed the gun and held onto the action while she fired. He grabs and pushes the gun down, she fires p(into the ground but possibly into one of his legs), and that's when the stoppage occurs. No handgun is going to cycle with someone holding the slide.

Attached Files:

Keith E., nikerret, g30nut and 2 others like this.
  7. Borg Warner

Borg Warner

I ciunted at leat 5 or 6 before th ecop had to clear the malfunction. But I'd be curious to know how many of those shots were center mass hits even at that close distance.

Regardless, apparently the guy is dead and that's one less scumbag in the world.

[​IMG]

g30nut likes this.
  8. fastbolt

fastbolt

If you're not keeping in a back corner of your mind how to effectively respond to a feeding stoppage, grip stability (or other manipulative) issue, dead primer (or other QC issue), failure-to-extract, etc ... you're not really preparing yourself to use your weapon in a dire, chaotic situation where things are likely going to be happening faster and differently than you expect.

Ditto learning how to properly maintain your gun as recommended by the manufacturer.

Sometimes advertising and fan beliefs don't work out as you might wish in the real world. Be prepared to deal with it and keep on keeping on.

wprebeck likes this.
  9. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

https://www.policeone.com/officer-s...5-rounds-of-ammo-on-the-job-clGBbLYpnqqHxwMq/

Yeah, about that.

A pistol round is a pistol round, unless it's a large magnum load. They all suck at stopping people quickly. There's a reason we don't use them for deer hunting. The story I linked above is one of the reason I moved from .40 back to 9mm for my duty gun with my last department. Read it carefully - short version is, 14 hits with a .45, and six were in lethal areas. Dude still kept coming.

Most people without any experience hunting or dealing with bad guys will underestimate how much the will to survive - or the fact that the bad guy is simply crazy and off his rocker - will affect a deadly force encounter. Mindset can be a great thing to help one survive, and that works both ways.

If an assailant is hell bent on killing you, that attitude can help keep them in the game long enough to do it. That's why I decided early on that I wasn't ever going to die without killing the SOB that got me, if it came down to it. Short of being executed by surprise, I was going to kill a mother****er who tried to take me away from my family. I carried a G17/X300, with four spare mags plus a G19 for a backup gun, so the means to do just that were there.

billy_56081, slym2none and Dragoon44 like this.
  10. UncleDave

UncleDave

I doubt a .45 will offer any advantage over a .40 or a 9mm when you take accuracy-affecting adrenaline into account, or a perp jacked-up on meth. People strung out can take a lot of hits to the body before shock and loss of blood pressure cause them to drop. In that short time they can close a lot of distance and do a lot of damage. I cringe every time I hear some ignorant fool cry, "Why did the cop have to shoot him so many times?" I hope they're never in a situation where they have to learn first-hand.

g30nut likes this.
  11. g30nut

g30nut

I was pretty impressed by that, she kept her head. Thank God I've never dealt with a violent encounter. I hope I never do.

Tanger likes this.
  12. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

Yep, ... knife vs. gun ...

Back in need the day at our local Cop Academy, rookies were taught the importance of the '30-foot' rule when encountering a violent suspect armed with an edged weapon or something similarly sinister, like a machete or even a sharp-edged, wrought-iron fireplace implement.

If the suspect charged the officer, deadly force was appropriate at 30-feet and in.

Nowadays that training rule is more like 'the 50-foot' rule, I believe. It was expanded apparently because of cases where armed suspects - shot multiple times at or near 30-feet - absorbed the hits and were still ambulatory and moving fast enough to reach and mortally wound or kill the officer before succumbing to their own wounds.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2020
    Dragoon44 likes this.
  13. agtman

agtman 10mm Philosopher

The simplest explanation is classic Limp-Wristing by the shooter, whether firing one-handed or two-handed. :headscratch: :dunno:

As they say, 'Glocks are Perfection,' but their shooters, ah, maybe not so much. :whistling:

14. sasqwatch2

sasqwatch2

This right here. The round she fired just before the stoppage, the assailant was pushing the gun down.

15. Detectorist

Detectorist

I wonder if he took his chances because it was a female cop? Fatal mistake. Kudos to the cop for the fastest malfunction clearing on tape.

Not a cop, but it looks like something I need to practice.

16. Detectorist

Detectorist

I wonder if any drugs will be found in his system? That excellent quality video would make a heck of a training video....

Dragoon44, cherokeewarrior and g30nut like this.
  17. g30nut

g30nut

I'd be willing to bet he was on something. Normal folks just don't act like that.

18. wprebeck

wprebeck Have you seen me?

Lol, you'd be surprised.

g30nut, glock27_03 and Dragoon44 like this.
  19. Lowcountry_Glocker

Lowcountry_Glocker

excellent malfunction clearing and a damned fine shoot, excellent job young lady!!
    I'll ignore the know nothings starting a caliber debate this time around...

DennisW likes this.
  20. nikerret

nikerret Mr. Awesome

I thought she did a very impressive job. That’s the best malfunction clearing I’ve ever seen and under about as much stress as is imaginable.

She did better with a real bad guy and real knives and her real life in danger than I’ve seen a lot of cops do in Simunitions.

Sure, there are some small criticisms I have, but they are more preference than about her weapon handling. I would have liked to see her shoot sooner, but I fully understand hesitation and that these situations occur very quickly.

wprebeck likes this.