body fat- how unhealthy ? !

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by wallyglock, Jun 7, 2007.

1. wallyglock

wallyglock

got a new worry, maybe . got one of those scales that measures the fat. me. an old coot nearing 60 years old has body fat about 28-29 %
    i am 5'8 & 1/2", weigh 153 lbs and work out a couple times a week. ride my bike to work daily in good weather, plus go on longer rides 2-3 times a week.
    winter time i ride an excer bike and still work out
    most people i know think i am pretty skinny and i still have a pretty demanding job.

dont know if i should take this measurement too seriously since i am in very good overall health, non smoker and only drink in low levels. realizing i am not a fine tuned athlete, how can i lower that % 4-5 points if i need to ??

it must be diet, related i assume ! eat ice cream about once a week and my daily sweets is usually 2-3 bite size pieces of chocolate . i DO still drink 2% milk and use it on my cereal.

it is a new challange to me to try to lower this per centage of fat, if need be.

any tips on how to do this ?? !!
    more tuna and lean chicken and pork ?? or ??

thanks to all of you knowledgeable people for responding !

2. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Your height and weight seems reasonable to me. I find those scales to be grossly inaccurate, so I seriously doubt your body fat is that high. If I had to guess, I'd think you are closer to mid-teens in terms of % BF.

I find these body fat analyzers are a little more accurate:

[​IMG]

They are about $60 from any drug store. Or, just go into a big box gym, take their tour as a wannabe new member, and use their BFA.

Even a cheap set of plastic calipers that you administer on yourself might be better than the electronic scales.

I also find this method to be in the ball-park of self-administered calipers and the hand-held BFA:
    http://www.healthcentral.com/cholesterol/home-body-fat-test-2774-143.html

Also, Google some images on body fat and you can compare yourself with what others may look like at a specific BFA %.

If you really want an accurate measurement, you'll probably need to find a health facility that can help you with this:

[​IMG]

3. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

I've never been concerned with %BF, it's just a number. I use the mirror test.

When I first got one of those scales, the instructions stated that it was not accurate for athletes. It defined athletes as someone with a resting pulse less than 60. I qualified.

Don't worry about the scale. Determine if you look like you want. You sound about right to me.

4. wallyglock

wallyglock

good info you provided.

i will get on the forum rocket suggested and check into the data. i had it on at my work place and did not start the test. thought i would wait till i was home....but now the site is down ! i will try later.

and cal jack.....yes, i do look pretty good, even if i do have to toot my own horn a squeak or two.
    fairly muscular arms and chest good leg definition and no belly. it even has a few ripples !
    i do 30 push ups and 50 crunches daily and all the afor-mentioned stuff i spoke of.
    work is lifting and walking most of day, and i have done it for nearly 30 years and it has helped me a lot, i believe.

good health to all and again thanks for the imput !

5. DBradD

DBradD Guest

I'd venture to guess that you're waaaay below the measured number if you don't have noticeable belly fat and love handles. 5'-8 1/2" and 153 is pretty thin, IMO, also.

I haven't studied the literature, but I suspect that the equations they programmed (probably some kind of regression if I had to guess) were calibrated for 30 year old average folks. They might not apply well to a 60 year old athlete.

Good job staying in shape over the years! I don't know a lot of 60 year olds in that good a shape.

I've been thinking lately about the importance of bodyfat %, or lack of importance perhaps. I've relaxed my diet over the last month or two and I've gained 4-5 lb, undoubtedly some fat included. On the other hand, I'm recovering better from my workouts and am lately setting PRs all over the place--pullups, burpees, etc. My pants are getting tight and I'm trying to decide if I should care. I've been sub-10% BF once and I had nowhere near the energy and recuperative power I have now. Anyway...perhaps a topic for another thread.

6. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Can't equate this to BF%, but I had a similar experience.

When I started getting into training when I was 41 or 42 or something around there, I started at about 240. I'm over 6'-2", but I had no muscle, I was a blob. I started lifting and doing interval cardio and eating cleaner and less amounts. After about 6 months I got down to 190. That was a good weight for me when I was in my 20's. However, I felt like crap. Always tired, never felt like training, was cranky, and it even affected my parenting. So I decided to put on 15 pounds and felt great, had more energy and was better to be around.

Point is, I think, BF% numbers don't mean a thing. If you like your physique, feel good, and most imprtantly have good blood pressure and blood chemistry you got it nailed.

Jack

7. wallyglock

wallyglock

do you know if the site you gave me.....health central.....has had server problems before ? !
    been trying to get on it a few times from about 5 pm yesterday evening, but no go. have to try some more i guess !

again, i appreciated all the imput from you glockers.

if i have time i will might try to post a little more about myself and my health habits in a day or two.

8. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Hey Wally,

The HealthCentral link works for me. Try a Google search on "body fat wrist measurement" without the quotation marks. It should be the first search result, or try some other search results.

9. wallyglock

wallyglock

did google up bunches of sites when i put in " body fat measurements", that included health central.
    got any of them up when i tried, but health central WOULD NOT come up.....always says " sever not found"
    are you SURE the site is up ? i have tried many times and have got any one of the other choices i wanted but not them.
    same thing when i blinked on your original thread .
    however yesterday about about 3:30 pm i got into the site from your thread, but have had no luck since then !!

check from your end again to be sure .
    could you, when time permits, walk me thu the steps from health central to let me take the measurements on my own ? !

some of the other sites seem a little bit more involved and central seemed to be a little more straight forward and simple.

thanks !! wally

10. TurboRocket

TurboRocket

Wally,

It still works for me. The only thing I can think of is that there is a bad router/switch between you and the server and your request is not routing properly.

Try this other site. http://www.davedraper.com/bodyfat-calculation.html

I think this site walks you through the hand calculation of what HealthCentral site does for you by just punching in your stats.

11. SDDL-UP

SDDL-UP

wallyglock,

I'm not a health professional, but it sure sounds to be like your scale is waaay off! I would not be concerned AT ALL. It sounds like you take good care of yourself and your height / weight sound very good. Don't even worry about what your body fat is, just listen to what the old body is telling you!

12. wallyglock

wallyglock

did the dave draper thing w/ my weight, 153, and waist 32 "
    (just had a pound steak steamed veggies and a large baked potato, so i was bulging at the waist ! )

anywho it came out to 16.8 % !! someone
    please give me a big hand !

still would like to get to health central site cause it would bee faster to get the info and i wanted to look their stuff over some.

maybe turbo you can explain to me a little more how all else is working but no luck getting into their site !
    that kind of stumps me a wee bit.

13. DBradD

DBradD Guest

This seems to be the closest thing to "a big hand"!
    :thumbsup: :thumbsup: