Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the option of a us armor xlt which is thinner and lighter but less flexible nij. 05 certified or the us armor XP which is heavier and more flexible certified for new nij ..06 standard. Which would you get

·
Registered
14,962 Posts
Flexibility, or the lack thereof is the primary reason BA is so darn uncomfortable. None of it is breatheable so being a little thinner wont really matter if it is less flexible.

I would go with what is the most comfortable.

Did I mention I LOATHE wearing body armor for four 12hr shifts a week. Anything I could do to make it more comfortable I would go for.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't have the option to look at the vest until the money is paid. I would like the more flexibility. On the plus side the more flexibile vest is .06 certified but its older for some reason

·
Super Moderator
18,717 Posts
I don't have the option to look at the vest until the money is paid. I would like the more flexibility. On the plus side the more flexibile vest is .06 certified but its older for some reason
The update to .06 standards isn't that impressive, IMO. Plenty of .05 vests still out there from reputable makers and doing fine. US Armor is a reputable maker.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Does anyone out there have either model of vest?

I have the ABA impulse 3a now that is a few years old.

·
38,473 Posts
Get the highest level of protection that you can comfortably wear. You don't want to be miserable and you don't want to compromise protection. Get the best of both.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Has anyone had any problems with aramid fibers? I am leaning towards the XLT because it appears to be more flexible but the rep says it is not. Border patrol uses XLT so I figured it might benefit slightly during summer time but i doubt it. Had someone measure me today but I am going to have someone different measure me tommorrow.. I don't trust the first person at work that measured me 100% plus they have never measured for a vest.

·
Desk Jockey
471 Posts
I've seen and tried on the XLT at the US Armor factory. It is plenty flexible and comfortable. The carriers on both vests are essentially the same. Neither one will be a bad choice. You're probably going to be more comfortable in the XLT because it is lighter.

Aramid just means it's a woven material (Kevlar, Twaron), as opposed to a laminate (Spectrashield, Dyneema).

·
Registered
195 Posts
XLT is a great vest, got one in my carrier right now. There is truly not much difference between it and the XP. They are both flexible, way more so than all Kevlar 129 etc. Even in 3A, the XLT or XP are both comfy as far as armor goes. Real test is how it is fitted. US Armor custom fits to 1/2" so make sure you are measured in full duty uniform using their sizing chart and if it's not a rep, have two people measure you as you mentioned and compare the two. As I used to do this, make sure they don't pull the measuring tape really tight, just let it drape down and take the measurement.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
XLT is a great vest, got one in my carrier right now. There is truly not much difference between it and the XP. They are both flexible, way more so than all Kevlar 129 etc. Even in 3A, the XLT or XP are both comfy as far as armor goes. Real test is how it is fitted. US Armor custom fits to 1/2" so make sure you are measured in full duty uniform using their sizing chart and if it's not a rep, have two people measure you as you mentioned and compare the two. As I used to do this, make sure they don't pull the measuring tape really tight, just let it drape down and take the measurement.
I went with the xlt. I think it will serve me well. I knocked a inch off my belly/waist measuremenrt because I want it to be a bit snug because I plan on loosing some gut weight. How long did it take to get yours in?

·
NRA4EVR
11,699 Posts
Aramid just means it's a woven material (Kevlar, Twaron), as opposed to a laminate (Spectrashield, Dyneema).
Actually, aramid is a class of fiber (aromatic polyamide). Aramids are generally used in weaves, rather than laminates, but how it's used does not define the chemistry.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ahhh all this jumbo jumbo. So if I get popped with a pistol round it will probably work right lop

·
Registered
619 Posts
I just got new US Armor IIIA. I had US Armor before that (also IIIA), and this new one is much more comfortable. Its the terminal velocity model.

·
Registered
4,045 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Good I'm glad to hear you like it... I will see in six weeks about mine

1 - 14 of 14 Posts