close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

bobtailed frame & resized slide.

Discussion in 'Band of Glockers' started by kent, Jan 22, 2005.

1. kent

kent

tanong lang po since i plan to get another full size 1911 but in 9mm, either a norinco or armscor, single stack.

then i want to replace (or cut) the barrel to a commander lenght. then i want to cut the slide so that the commander lenght barrel would protrude about 3/8 to 1/2 inch (that is why i'm not getting the pistol in commander lenght originally since the sight placement will be odd if i cut 3/8 to 1/2 inch off the slide, while the full lenght one will give me much leeway).

somebody slap me if you think this is a stupid idea.

also i want it bobtailed!! deos anyplace here in the P.I. sells those ed brown bobtail mainspring housing or a clone of it?? or does anyone know gunsmiths here capable of fabricating this??

and since the barrel is protruded, is it wise to have it compensated by having a 1/16" thick slash cut about 45 degree angle starting 1/8" from the front travelling 30% into the barrel?

then novak sight, reduced beavertail, stub hammer...

am i making sense to anyone??? :) ;) :cool:

2. kent

kent

it would look a little something like this.....

[​IMG]

(uhh, sorry for the lousy photoshop)

3. batangueno

batangueno Shock Resist

I think that's a great idea kent. Talagang pang CCW ang specs. Go over your design with Metrillo, maybe they're the 'smith who can fulfill your dream gun. :)

4. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Two things:

1. Scrap the angled porting idea. It doesn't help.

2. Go to stronghand and handle the para with the bobbed grip safety (GS). At first I also wanted a rounded GS like the one in your pic. When I handled the para with the same treatment, it turns out my web of the hand rides over the GS. Major hammer bite issue if I were firing the gun. ;)

Our local smiths can do all of those things you want. You just need to pick one you can trust to work with your gun.

Btw, with a bobtailed frame you have two options for the maispring housing (MSH).

1. You can have a modified MSH for the bobtail for that stealth-look

2. You can ask the smith to custom-make you another MSH that profiles like the full-size MSH with a welded-on magwell.

;)

5. kent

kent

sir mc_oliver...

1. any suggestion for good and practical porting?

2. hammer bite was the major consideration for the stub hammer design (regular 1911 hammer with rear spur removed), but since your comment i'm thingking flushed hammer?!

i definitely wants bobtail... hmmn, bobtail with magwell??

sir batangueno....

where's metrillo at?

oh, economics is a consideration what do you folks think how much will the "customization" cost run to? he he

6. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Even with the flushed hammer, if the web of you hand rides over the GS nub (when you high-grip the gun), the slide will cut into your skin.

For porting to work, you'll need to thinken the metal between the outside and inside hole. Think of a schuemann barrel with the camel-back porting. Pero since this is only a commander-size slide, you can control the gun with practice instead of using porting to tame the recoil.

7. susan28

susan28 already gone..

i too want a bobbed MSH with extended magwell but my smith told me that i couldn't use an S&A magwell with a bobbed MSH.

has anyone seen this done or have pics?

8. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

What you want will be a full custom job with a magwell that is customized by the smith. Now, depending on how much his charges are, it could be very expensive.

An alternative is to put a bevel on the inside of the frame and a rounding off of the rear, mainspring portion. I have a pic but it's in my other computer several oceans away.

9. susan28

susan28 already gone..

hey Mr Oliver thanks for the response..

the latter is what my smith said we could do, but what i want is an extended S&A magwell (with the flaps that partially cover the baseplates of the 9-round 10mm mags)..

it's not just the bevel i'm after, it's the coverage of the longer mag. i want him to cut the back of the magwell to follow the downward/forward slant of the bobtail. this is a cost-is-no-object project, but he says it's not doable..

can i tell him that you said to forget the word "can't"? :)

10. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

Hahaha, it's probably more of a won't. ;)

I think one reason is that, when you bobtail the MS, there's no more room for the magwell to be screwed-on or attached. The "flaps" need to be welded to the frame. Of course, one can also "semi-bob" the MS and leave a little room for the magwell to be attached but I'm not sure how it will look relative to the frame.

You got me thinking, though. I think I also have a pic or two of a bobtail with a magwell. I just can't remember how it was attached or even if the pic showed it how. One was a full well covering the sides and rear. The other type was a semi-well with the lip halfway out only.

11. susan28

susan28 already gone..

that would be excellent if you found them.. this is a real "can do" kinda smith and i was very surprised when he said no can do..

it sounds like you understand exactly what i'm after.. if i was good with software i could draw it... but i think the second thing you said is what i'm envisioning, and yes, i thought of just forming and welding the lips.

12. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

It'll be about 2 weeks before I can access my PC again. I'll post it here when I find it.

Meanwhile, try searching for "bobtail" in the 1911forum.com. ;)

good luck.

13. susan28

susan28 already gone..

"can do" ;) thanks!

14. mc_oliver

mc_oliver

susan, I was finally able to dig up some pics. However, I can't seem to find the pic with the "half-magwell lip". Anyway, here are some ideas you can feed to your smith. Click on the pic for a bigger view.

This one is the bevel.
    [​IMG]

The following pics are "race-type" guns. Anyway, even though they sport full-size MS housings, you can get a pretty good idea how the magwell will look if you bob-tail it.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. susan28

susan28 already gone..

thanks oliver,

probably just going with the bevelling initially, but i have laid hands on a magwell from Wilson that attaches via the gripscrews that will let me do the "wing" thing if i want to.

it does occur to me, though, that with the cut of the bobtail, to angle the wings up along its rear line, it would leave the corner of an extended mag base exposed, and for complete coverage all the way to the rear, it would require the well itself to extend rearward before beginning its upsweep. basically extending the length of the whole stock, but retaining the angled shape, somewhat similar to the first racegun you showed.

this would of course detract from the carry-stealth aspect of the Bobtail, but i don't necessarily object to that, since my main reason for the bob is to remove the sharp rear corner of the grip,
    and i think with the gripscrew-mounted well i have, the bending of the rear edge to do this might be possible, and i can decide for myself at that time whether or not the end justifies the means.

the other option - totally doable with the gripscrew-mounted well - is to leave off the cosmetic upsweep that creates the smooth transition into the bobtail and just cut the rear part vertically to cover the whole magbase, and leave the 45 degree angle where it meets the bobbed MSH. this would have the same profile as the "bare" extended magbase but at least provide coverage for it, while leaving the butt of the MSH alone. at the very least it would a cosmetic option for times when an extended mag was used, which thanks to the gripscrew mounting wouldn't require welding and therefore could be removed when the "pure" bobtail profile was desrired for carry or whatnot.

i'll keep ya posted :)