close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bobcats - dangerous or benign

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by itisbruno, Aug 17, 2012.

1. itisbruno

itisbruno Devious Member CLM

There is a bobcat living in the woods accross from mom and dad's feeding on the many rabbits.

Are they a threat to humans if there is plenty of game to be had?

2. davew83

davew83 hhhhhhhhmmmmmmm

Usually any equipment operator can handle one. Sometimes they need some practice though if they are used to tractors or New Holland equipment.

3. el_jewapo

el_jewapo

I don't worry about bobcats in the woods. I've never heard of many attacks on people. I sure wouldn't want to tangle with one though. I'm sure they can be pretty deadly.

4. Annoyedgrunt

Annoyedgrunt Dry Heat my ASS

Aw, c'mon man! This is GNG- you could have at least titled the thread

"What's the best handgun for bobcat country?"

and had a 15-pager caliber war, easy. :rofl:

5. Huaco Kid

Huaco Kid

Nope. They are rather warm and comfy.

[​IMG]

6. jame

jame I don't even know....what I'm doing here....

They're pretty shy. I'm actually surprised you even know he's in there.

You'll get problems from raccoons than you ever will from bobcats.

7. cmb19

cmb19

They'll avoid you for the most part. If you corner it (or the dogs corner it) you will get tore up if it can't get away from you.

They can be vicious, I've seen them angry in traps, but usually they run. With all the bobcats my dad has trapped..with every one being release...only one has not instantly ran off. That one I was worried was going to eat me, he was mean. :supergrin:
    Now, if there were tiny dogs or something, maybe they'd be attacked, but it's not going to bother a human.

8. countrygun

countrygun

the first week we moved into this place I had a run in with one. He lost. I really would have left him alone but I didn't like the way he was looking at one of the wifes little puppies.

9. USMCsilver

USMCsilver Boat Life ©

Harmless, but weird in kinda a creepy way:

[​IMG]

10. ScottieG59

ScottieG59

We have bobcats around us and they tend to keep a low profile. I usually only see them when they cross the road in front of my vehicle.

They seem to like small prey. I once heard of a hunter being attacked, but I do not know the circumstances. Around here, just outside Kansas City, Kansas, the pest predator is the coyote. There are some confirmed mountain lion sightings, but they are extremely rare and likely are not breeding here yet.

Also, feral dogs pass by sometimes.

Small children and small pets can be preyed upon, but I would worry more about coyotes than bobcats. Actually, coyotes will take a larger dog like a lab.

By the way, I know a guy who raised free roaming geese and bobcats loved to eat them. For every bobcat he killed, a new one moved right back in. He got them with traps.

11. youngdocglock

youngdocglock

I put them on par with fisher cats.

Annoying.

Loud.

Annoying.

Harmful to small pets and children.

Not really harmful to people unless you attack them.

12. Caver 60

Caver 60

Like most any wild animal. As long as they don't have rabies they will probably leave you alone. If you see one exhibiting unusual behavior, leave it alone and get away.

Unusual like normally nocturnal animals out in the daytime, no fear of humans, etc.

I'd worry more about dogs running in packs, than most wild animals. Fido may be the most gentle animal on earth with his owners. But when he packs up, things can change.

13. NeverMore1701

NeverMore1701 Fear no Evil Platinum Member

Leave 'em alone and everyone will be happy. Mess with 'em and no one will be happy, especially you!

14. FPS

FPS

From my experience they tend to stay clear of people.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2012
  15. frizz

frizz

That's to bad, CG. When we people move into wild animal's habitat, they lose. I like it when they can be caught and released. Same about the threat against our animals but that's life.

Related note: my mother had a chipmunk problem in her garden of her new home. Then Bessie the stray cat took up with her...

She killed them. Every last one of them!

16. sheriff733

sheriff733 NRA LIFE MEMBER

My bobcat helps me pay the bills.

[​IMG]

:supergrin:

But seriously, I don't think that they bother people unless you provoke them. Could be wrong though.

17. Peace Warrior

Peace Warrior Am Yisrael Chai CLM

I've never had problems with any bobcat. All but one has run before I ever got close to 'em, and the ONLY one that ever "reappeared" after leaving had some kits stashed in some rip-rap along a creek near where I parked and wasn't leaving without 'em.

There's a youtube video of a rabbid one getting into a bar and biting folks, but I'd say you're fine.

At least you know here to crack one come hunting season. :wavey:

18. jbutenhoff

jbutenhoff

Your kidding right? They are barely larger than large tomcats. The max crazy OMG THAT THING IS HUGE size they get to is 40 pounds. Normally they are in the 20s.

Not a threat to you. Not a threat to a toddler even. Now if you have a teeny dog maybe an issue, but doubtful. They normally prey on small rodents, birds, and the sort.

19. gatorboy

gatorboy

They're plentiful around here and I've never heard of them being a problem to people or their pets. Like someone else said, if they're around you'll usually see them cross the roads and that's about it. They're shy, smart and stealthy little suckers. No mistaking their profile for a domesticated/feral cat. They're jacked-up in the back with a stubby tail and much larger paws for their size.

20. Cooper

Cooper

Agree with everyone here. Leave it alone.

It's an unfortunate aspect of humanity that we fear what presents itself. There are a thousand other things to fear that we just decide not to think of.

If you have a toddler, I'd keep a close eye, but the kid would have to be toddling around unattended at night before a bobcat would attack. And if that's the case, there are snakes, spiders, rabid possums or raccoons, sharp sticks, hidden drops, poison ivy, and other things to worry about. Any of which could seriously ruin a toddler's day.

Count yourself blessed to live in a place that still has real wildlife, instead of the usual deer-in-the-gated-community yuppie wildlife most people have.