Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Curious Member
19,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where legal, what do you carry/pack on a boat? Is the 12ga. a universal boat gun? Do you carry different guns for different bodies of water?

I'm not really worried about 2-legged threats while boating at the lake. Snakes maybe. I know that growing up, dad always had a .22lr or a pellet gun (forget which) for snakes.

So what do you carry/pack?

Thanks!:)

-Emt1581

·
Curious Member
19,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I had a boat I would pack this: (and my Glock)

Ha! Believe it or not the Mossy Mariner was one of the first guns I ever bought. Still have it! I actually bought it a few days after I turned 18 to prepare, in my own uneducated way, for Y2K that was coming in two weeks.

A good gun, but pretty heavy compared to other 12ga. guns I have.

Thanks for the reply! :)

-Emt1581

·
Handgunner
2,397 Posts
My father in law always has a stainless .410 snake charmer for stubborn fishes...

·
Registered
788 Posts
If I had a boat I would pack this: (and my Glock)

I have one of those but not mariner it's black shotty,green tube. I told the wife it's a anti-zombie kit :rofl: she let me buy it just to be able to laugh at me :supergrin:

·
Registered
8,672 Posts
I'd want a 590A1, full stock, full length barrel, and sling. And bayonet lug. I'd want milspec 00 buck, 000 buck, fletchette & slug ammo. I'd want truglo red/green rifle (buckhorn/bead) sights, I'm used to 'em. A belt bag that held a box of ammo. oh yeah, incendiary rounds, magnesium/white phosphorus. They might be handy.

·
Curious Member
19,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'd want a 590A1, full stock, full length barrel, and sling. And bayonet lug. I'd want milspec 00 buck, 000 buck, fletchette & slug ammo. I'd want truglo red/green rifle (buckhorn/bead) sights, I'm used to 'em. A belt bag that held a box of ammo. oh yeah, incendiary rounds, magnesium/white phosporus. They might be handy.
Holy hell!! Where do you go boating?? :shocked:

Not knocking ya in the least! I'm all for being prepared. I'm just not sure 1) What I'd need to kill/punch a hole in that buckshot or slugs wouldn't take care of but steel darts and steel melting chemicals would??

I know years ago there was a website that sold Dragonsbreath 12ga. rounds...along with over a dozen other nasty treats to feed your shotgun. Not sure if it's still around but I'd imagine they'd have the stuff you're talking about.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

·
Registered
657 Posts
Usually my CCW choice of the day and a .410 snake tamer (H&R)

Depends on the mood really though..I have dryboxes built in to my boat so just about all of my guns have been on it at one point or another.

·
Curious Member
19,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Usually my CCW choice of the day and a .410 snake tamer (H&R)

Depends on the mood really though..I have dryboxes built in to my boat so just about all of my guns have been on it at one point or another.
Any way you could share pics? I'd love to see what kind of boat and how/where you mounted them.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

·
Registered
534 Posts
When fishing in Alaska I keep my Mossberg 500A and either my Glock 22 or Ruger P-90. This year only the P-90 will go as I gave my little sister the G22. I some time keep a 22 of some sort on the boat just for grins.

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
This is how I roll...

Are snakes really that big a deal? And are you talking about little dinghys? What on a lake could really harm you? Loch Ness Monster maybe???

I'm only concerned about pirates and the kraken.

·
TheGreyEclipse
1,924 Posts
Oh no...

Do NOT take your guns on a boat unless you keep them strapped onto you at all times! You will lose them in a tragic boating accident, guaranteed!
I've seen this so many times on gun forums...just don't do it!

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
Do NOT take your guns on a boat unless you keep them strapped onto you at all times!
That's funny b/c you're far more likely to drown from being tethered to a piece of steel than you are to get bitten by a coral snake you could have easily dispatched with some reflexive scattergun work...

·
Registered
8,672 Posts
I'd want a boat gun for boarders. It'd be hard to sink even a skiff with a shotgun unless you got it burning, and if they made it onboard fletchettes might be nice in the tight spots.

And yes, such ammo is currently for sale. What gave me the parameters was piracy. It doesn't have to be somalia, off the baja coast piracy is quite possible..

·
Registered
4,609 Posts
For a very corrosion proof, dead reliable boat pistol I'd pick one of the Rugers. The P95, P97 or even 22/45. Having a synthetic lower and stainless upper is a good thing, I would think!

·
Mr. CISSP, CISA
24,042 Posts
I be very careful about carrying guns on a boat. Navy Seal have been know to shoot boaters on Easter who had guns.:rofl:

99.99999999% not necessary. When in doubt, I have carried a Glock.

Does Remington make a combat grade, corrosion resistant 870? removable choke, rifle sights and/or rail, ...

·
Curious Member
19,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's funny b/c you're far more likely to drown from being tethered to a piece of steel than you are to get bitten by a coral snake you could have easily dispatched with some reflexive scattergun work...
He was joking. Ya know... when someone asks how many guns you have you reply "I lost mine in a boating accident"....kind of an inside joke of gun owners I suppose. :supergrin:

-Emt1581

·
Curious Member
19,885 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'd want a boat gun for boarders. It'd be hard to sink even a skiff with a shotgun unless you got it burning, and if they made it onboard fletchettes might be nice in the tight spots.

And yes, such ammo is currently for sale. What gave me the parameters was piracy. It doesn't have to be somalia, off the baja coast piracy is quite possible..
Oh so the incendiary to start their boat on fire...right?

Only non buck/slug rounds I've got are rubber buckshot rounds. I really want to try those bolo/chain/flechette/etc. rounds just to see how they work. I'm gonna have to look up that company.

Thanks!

-Emt1581

1 - 20 of 45 Posts