close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Boar hunting?

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by tyesai, Jan 10, 2006.

1. tyesai

tyesai

Any avid pig hunters out there. A couple of us at work have been kicking around the idea of going but none of us have ever been except one. His uncle runs a guide service and he said he charges $300 a pig. Seems kind of expensive to me. I am sure if we went with him with all of us being military we could get some kind of smokin deal that wouldn't be to hard to swallow.

I was just wondering if ya'll think that a .357 would be enough gun, or if I did go, would a shotgun be a better choice, or both. I have read some and lots of people say take a back up because they can get awful mean and some running might be in order in wich case a backup pistol is a good idea.

Any suggestions? Good stories? Good recipies? I know I love me some smoked pork shoulder but I have never had the ferrel/wild piggy.

2. GeorgiaGlockMan

GeorgiaGlockMan Aggie in Exile.

Not much is more fun than a good hog hunt.

If those were my only options, I'd take both.

.357 for PD and the shotty with slugs or 00 buck.

$300 is kinda steep. There are alot of outfits that charge 1/2 of that.

If you think a big boar is mean - wait until you put a poorly placed shot on one with your .357 mag.

If it is thick brush country hunt elevated or take a slower friend with you.

hehe.

Don't get me wrong a .357 will put one down if you hit it right.

I prefer a deer rifle - 308 or 30-06 for big boars in the 250 lb range.

3. allhowl

allhowl

I agree $300. seems high per pig but then again what all does it include? Skinnning & packing on ice? Meals,lodging? What if you don't kill one? I always carry a .44 Mag. pistol in addition to my rifle. Hogs should be shot in the head or neck to drop them in their tracks. Is he hunting with dogs or over bait or still hunting? Make sure they aren't "tame" pigs just put on the property where he knows where they are at & you just walk up to them and shoot them. Thats not hunting.

Also here is a link which can give you more expert advice than I can. Also they may have some people who specialize in hogs around you which may cost less.

http://www.texasboars.com/phpBB2/index.php?sid=da8a778909d360f052e3afa621649e0f

4. noway

noway

$300 is about the normal charge around here after skinning and tips fees.

357mag would work if you use a heavier load 158grain or heavier and I would stay away from a JHP but look at a hard cast or a JSP from a 6" or more bbl.A shotgun would be better tho.

tips, ask alot of questions and see if they do dogs,stalk,stands,feeders,etc......Don't be pressure in taking just any old hog. If you want a trophy boar tell them up front and get the prices. if you want a meat hog let them know. You are the customer and remember that.

wild pork is not the same as domestic pork so the texture would be more coarse, but it all cooks up good. Shoulders aren't bad,but the top straps ( aka back straps ) that runs down the top of the spin from end to end is where the meat and flavor and tenderness is at. The short lions aren't bad either. Most of the rest I get grounded up and produce in sausage links.

good luck and let us know your outcome.If you have a Boar Hunting Magazine stand, check them out and read the columns, Very good tips on methods and gear. The magazine could be better but it's the only thing gear'd for Boar Hunting and hunters.

5. tyesai

tyesai

We are just kicking around the idea right now. For the money he said his uncle will clean them and what not and gaurentee's you get a pig for that day. I guess he uses dogs and horses to hunt with so I think that would add to the fun. Like I said, it is one of the guys I work with family and he is an upstanding guy, I am pretty sure to if he told them him and some of his friends wanted to go we would get a good deal.

If we can manage to pull it together I will keep everyone informed. I want to go, but it is always better with a few more people.

As far as guns go, all I have is a 12 gauge, .357 8 shot taurus, .38 snubby and a MKIII so my options are really not options at all. Unless I can convince the wife that I really really really need that .454 just for this ocasion.
    :)

That would give me another option.

Thanks for the info so far guys and the link.

6. punkture

punkture

you may be better off financially finding a wildlife management area along the MS river and doing it all yourself. i hunt in natchez, ms on a national wildlife refuge for $12.50 a year and there are more hogs than deer there. the only 'downside' to hunting there is you can only use a muzzleloader or bow.

7. Glasser

Glasser

8. Hunterjbb

Hunterjbb

your price is not all that bad, all total i had about $600 tied up in my hunt for my pig last year.. Hunted up in Tioga county in PA.. was a lot of fun..

No a .357 is not enough.. :) in my opinion, I shot mine with a .50 cal patched round ball at about 20 yds.. he didn't like it one stinkin bit and then duh.. i could not get to my .41 mag cause my rifle was in the wrong hand with me trying to get out of the way.

Some camps have minimum calibers so check with them prior.. borrow a rifle or use the 12 ga, that will work just fine. Don't think your gonna be taking 100+ yd shots depending in where you go..

good luck, we had a nice two days at the camp, although it rained the day we hunted.. yuck.

Jeff.

9. red99cobra

red99cobra

www.hoghunting.com is the best place in my opinion. I have been there 4 times and see on average 50-60 pigs per visit. His rates are great and he is a salt of the earth kind of guy. I am going back in March. I use .44 mag raging bull with Buffalo Bore 350 grain. and .45-70 Marlin Stainless guide gun with Buffalo Bore for what it is worth.

10. drake22

drake22

If you really want the experience, go with a bow and arrow. Get up close and perosnal within about 20 yards. Then once you hit them, they will literally charge right at you.

If I ever go again, it'd be with just a bowie knife.

11. tyesai

tyesai

I've never shot any type of bow. I was thinking it would be a good reason to get a .454 though.;)

12. isalamon

isalamon

I love pig hunting and have been at it for a while now. I find that my 30-30 is my favorite rifle for this hunt and a carry my daily carry sidearm (G27) all the time. Given your choices I would go with a the slug and a shot through the lungs just behind the front legs. He will drop in a couple of steps. Oh yeh...and if you wound him, give him some space. They can be very aggressive and have no issue taking a chunk out of you. Wait until he is still before approaching and then get it done quickly.

Your price is high for FL. I hunt in Lakeport Florida on 1000 acres west of Lake O. I use Chappy's Outfitters. Bret offers fair chase, buggy hunt, stand hunting stalk or whatever you like. He charges about $100 per hog plus $25 to clean. No limit of hogs and hunting is year round. You can even have your hog processed and freezer packed right there for about $50. I highly recommend these guys. Really nice people, very professional, and well priced.