Boar/hog/pig hunting

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by pangris, Oct 8, 2002.

1. pangris

pangris Moderator

I have never been much of a hunter, but my little brother (he is 13, I'm 25) has a real interest in hunting boar. I have only gone after ducks in the past, just more a target/competition shooter than hunter. The one time I went deer hunting I was scared out of my wits since the woods were alive with gun fire and there were NO deer to be seen. Kind of soured any desire I had. ANYWAY -

We are in southern Louisiana, near the Honey Island Swamp, where there is supposedly a plethora of hogs to be had, and big ones at that (250-400 lbs so I hear).

I want to help him with this but no nothing, nada, about hunting land animals much less boar. I have heard that people hunt them with everything from .22 magnums (shoot behind the eye) to 12 ga 3" mag with buckshot, and pistols, and rifles.

So - what is the best way for NOVICES to start hunting these things, and what weapon would you suggest? We could use any of the following -

Glock 24
    Glock 21 or Para or 14.45
    Taurus .357 Mag, 6" bbl

AR-15
    Remmy .270
    Savage .308

12 ga 870

Please remember - I know nothing - So tell melike you are explaining this to a five year old (who has a good working knowledge of the guns above, and understands firearms safety ;)

2. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

Is that Savage rifle a model 99?

Hunting wild pigs will mean brush country and a lever-action rifle will be faster than a bolt-action rifle for those follow up shots on running game.

Anyway, looking at your selection I recommend the .308 rifle and the 12ga shotgun with Brenneke slugs.

3. Screaming .357G

Screaming .357G 598ci big block

I 2nd the 12 ga with a slug in it.

I always take my 10ga slug gun and a 454 casull for big stuff like boar.

4. PlasticGuy

PlasticGuy

These are tough critters with thick hide over their shoulders. It takes a pretty powerful cartridge to put one down quickly. Your handguns do not fit the bill. Your .270 or .308 would do it, assuming that you choose a sturdy bullet (Winchester Fail Safes would work). My first choice would be the 12 guage with hard slugs. Shots on wild boar are typically measured in feet rather than yards, so don't worry much about your accuracy past 50 yards. The Brenneke slugs that were suggested earlier would be an ideal choice for a hunting load.

5. hoagie55

hoagie55

I third the 12 gauge wiht slugs if you are in thick brush. Since two of you are going, give the 12 gauge to your brother and you carry .308 and the .357. Stalk the hogs until you are close, within 50 yards or so, and then have your brother shoot one with the shotgun. You will want to have your rifle handy in case it comes at you instead of away from you.

Also, try searching for hunting forums like Hunting.net or Southen Hunting.net for some good links/advice.

Good luck with your hunt!!!

6. LovemyGlock's

LovemyGlock's

I often hunt hogs on the Pearl River not far from you. I used an AR-15 when I first started but soon came to find out that in the brush on a running hog it is hard to get a well placed shot. Needless to say the .223 is way too small. After duck hunting one day I ran across some pigs and loaded up some 00 buck, 1 shot 1 kill. I have used buckshot ever since. Always carry a good sidearm as well. If you get into a pack of hogs and they turn on you, you will need it. There are ALOT of pigs in south LA, you should not have a problem finding a place to hunt them. Find a small town and walk into the bar, when someone asks you what you are doing there and you tell them pig hunting you should have plenty of offers to hunt on private land. I usually go into Pearlington, MS. Hog hunting is a bast, open season and no limits.

Good luck and be careful.

7. Sixgun_Symphony

Sixgun_Symphony NRA4EVR

The .357 Magnum with heavy cast "Elmer Keith" loads will do the job. Just be sure to place those bullets where they need to go. You do your job and the .357 Mag will do its job.

8. duncan

duncan Lifetime Member Millennium Member

There are some good posts on GT and TFL on pig hunting.

Use the Search function.

A recent post was on Califonia pig hunting. Great website.

Anyway, go with the 12 gaiuge with some 1-1.5 ounce slugs.

Was just shooting my Rem 870 with a deer barrel and some Remington Slugger sg slugs and was getting within one inch of my POA at 50 yards.

All of the guys with their .308s, 30-30s, and 30'06s were really impressed with the damage these slugs can inflect and with the tough hide on most ferals, you;ll need it.

Find the pigs.

Stand near a tree. Brace and shoot and hold your breath. They can't see well but sense movement.

If they charge, up the tree. Make sure your little brother is a good climber.

Wait a good while for that boar to die. Maybe a head shot to be sure. Tusks leave nasty scars.

But have multiple firearms for backup. And don't be afraid to take multiple shots if they charge.

In the South, creek bottoms and swamps are great places to hunt pigs. Just ask the locals. They hate the pigs and will draw maps.

Just watch out for your little bro - okay?

We're big enough but he's on the younger side.

9. safetyslug

safetyslug Hogs Beware

Your .270 will work just fine for a pig (in open country). Just get a 4X scope (or vari) and try some Winchester Fail Safe ammo (see my post in the caliber corner). The .308 will also work well I would imagine (I have never owned a .308).

Up close, any of those guns will work.

If you are going to hunt up close or in tight brush, just remember Pigs are extremely nearsided, but they see motion very well so keep still (as possible) when you spot one. Pig's hearing and sense of smell are quite good so be quite and be downwind. When a pig is spooked, they can take off like nobodies business.

One tip I can offer if you spot one (providing he is not spooked) is let him go about his business (eating acorns, rooting, doing pig things) for bit. Pigs get very engrosed if they do not feel danger is near allowing you to "slowy" and quietly close in for a good shot (if using a short range weapon). Patience is the key.

True story. This past week my Dad and myself were in the brush looking for a pig near sundown. I was about 100 yards or so ahead of him when I almost stumbled right into a porker. The pig was eating acorns. He grunted and paid very little attention to me so I stood still (for what seemed like and eternity) until I was sure he was engrosed in his meal. I then slowly backed up and radio'd my father (in a whisper) to easy a bit closer while I backed off. Well my father got in to about 60-74 yards, took aim with his BAR and then "CLICK". Nothing (he had not allowed the bolt in his BAR to go all the way forward so the bolt was not locked). My father then pulled the bolt back and let it slam home again, ejecting the chambered round then loading another. The pig looked up a bit startled and we both froze. The pig then grunted and for some reason showed my father his broad side. The pig then stuck his snout in the air trying to sniff around. This time my father's BAR fired and the pig dropped like a stone.

10. davesglock30

davesglock30

MAN!!!! i would LOVE to have a BAR!!! those things are badass!!:) talk about some serious firepower.

11. Fox

Fox Varmit Control

Agreed

The BAR is probably the best rifle for wild boar due to the quick follow up shots of the semi-auto action and the powerful chamberings available.

12. micah

micah loves you all.

I think davesglock is refering to the old military BAR. There is nothing particularily "badass" about a modern Browning BAR. they are nice guns though.
    FWIW I have had great luck with a Smith 41 Mag on boar.