BMW vs. Aprilia

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by NeedOneBad, Apr 21, 2005.

1. NeedOneBad

NeedOneBad

Im thinkin I like these Euro bikes.

I have narrowed it down considerably, Im thinking either an Aprilia RSV 1000 R Factory or perhaps a BMW R 1100. What do yall think of these bikes? Which is faster? Which handles better? Which is more reliable?

2. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Both are WAYYYYY out of my price range.

But all I can say is that BMWs have a VERY good reputation for reliability.

Purely performance, I am going to have to give it to the Aprilia. It was designed to race. I am assuming you are talking about the R1100S. If so, I hear they are greta bikes. I think they look way better than the Aprilia. But it would not stay with the Mille on a track. But I guarentee they are a lot more comfortable.

Basically I would have to ask, What is the main use for the bike you want.

Right now, if I had to have any Euro bike, it would be either a K1200S or a Moto Guzzi MSG-01 Corsa (that bike just looks way too cool).^7 ^7 ^7
    http://www.motoguzzi-us.com/bikes/mgs01_c/index.html

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Between those two the Aprilia is the better performer all around although the R1100S is a very potent vehicle in its own right. Plus it's a BMW and not some Italian junks...;P Ride and decide.

4. Mad Ryan

Mad Ryan

My buddy Huong has the Mille and my buddy Bob has one of the Mille-R's. Bob had Southern Oregon Yamaha/Aprilia go through his whole motor and do the WSB build. Marc from Factory Pro came up and built a custom map for the power commander. (SO Yamaha has a brand new FP Dyno) and as a result, the thing is now making more power across the board than a piped 2004 R-1. It's an amazing bike. Unfortunatly, with all the money he has into it, Bob won't let anyone ride it... :(

My buddy Huong on the other hand has let me ride his Mille on several occasions, and it's an awesome bike. Throw a set of high mount pipes on one and they're awesome. My only complaint is that the turn signal button is in the most bloody hindering akward place on the left control pod.

One of my friends runs Southern Oregon Yamaha's service dept. and has assured me before (I was thinking about a Tuono) that with the Aprilias you get japanese reliability. I will still probably get one, but I have to get my wife a bike first.

As for the BMW, I have no practical experience with them, but BMW makes really solid stuff so I wouldn't imagine this would be any different. My only beef with BMW (and Ducati even tho I love Ducks) is the dry clutch which I believe they all share. I could be wrong. I will say that on a whole, the BMW crowd is by far the friendliest I encounter in motorcycling. Good people who ride the snot out of their bikes.

5. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

What else have you ridden before?

Regards,
    Glen

6. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

BMW does have dry clutch like Ducati except that it's more hidden so you can barely here the clacking noise unlike Ducati. Actually I've seen a few Ducati shirts that said "Loud Clutch Saves Life". ;a

The R1100S is BMW's version of a crotch rocket until the recent arrival of the K1200S and soon K1200R. Dry weight is around 460-lbs, 98-hp and 70-lbft of torque. It won't pop a wheelie in third gear, but it'll get up and go.

But BMW will never make a true blued, all-out handling vehicle. That's just not what the company is all about. The K1200S and K1200R will have sports suspension and power out of the wazoo and they will take corner, but at 500-lbs empty, they will never handle the way a Jap or Italian 400-pounder will. Nonetheless, a competent rider can make up for a lot of shortcomings. Not to mention the bulletproof boxer twin engine, solid engineering and manufacturing. Did I mention heated grips and antilock brakes? ;f

It's a canyon carver that you can ride all day in.

So, it's all about your riding style and your preference. If I were to do Italian right now, it'd be the MV Agusta Brutale, repainted to a proper Italian Red like Ducati though.

7. HKMark23

HKMark23 Millennium Member

Both are nice bikes but I would go with the Boxer.

As already mentioned the Aprilla might be a bit zippier especially with lots of $$$ mod's, but the R will twist and carve with the best of them with better comfort, ergonomics, saftey, reliablity and then just keep going and going and going and going--------------------------------->
    ;f

8. Mad Ryan

Mad Ryan

I don't know, it's hard to beat that Rotax motor in the Aprilia.

"Loud Clutch Saves Lives" I'm freakin dying here!

9. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

I also heard that those R1200 GS's are VERY capable bikes. I believe they have won a lot of awards with thier newest version. Some mags said it could even hang with 600 sportbikes in the twisties, you just have to do your part.

The GS would be my daily rider is I had that kind of cash. They definately look mean.

10. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Here ya go, "Loud Clutches Save Lives". http://store.proitalia.com/gb300x.html

The R1200GS is new. The previous generation was the R1150GS. And the R1200GS had won quite a few international awards because of its multitude of improvements. It's a very capable dual purpose vehicle.

BTW, BMW is currently working on a hard core dirt bike armed with the 1200-cc boxer twin: HP2

11. epsylum

epsylum Boolit Hoze

Man that looks pretty sweet, but it would be pretty heavy compared to japanese dirtbikes, even the enduros (but it would also have crazy HP and torque). Maybe the low center of gravity will help hide this.

12. Cirric

Cirric technogoob

R1100S - I'm totally biased, as it's the best bike I've ever had (or probably will ever have).

The choice probably depends most on which bike feels better and your intended riding style/preference. If you want Sport-Touring, or Sprint-touring the R1100S will be a great ride. The R1100S will take me pretty much anywhere, and is a blast to ride. It's a typical German Gran-Touring-Sport like a beemer sedan on the autobahn. IT fun for fast curves, and stable for long days.

The R1100S is more comfortable for me that any of the other R1100s...And Mine has the ABS, and Heated grips (which I would not have ordered initially - but now would not want to be without.)

Cirric

13. 2cats

2cats Millennium Member

The Aprilia is faster and handles better; reliability is a wash.

(One thing I really noticed about the 1100S was the sensation that you could take your hands off the grips in a corner - it seemed locked into its line. I first thought this might be due to their unique front ends, but none of the other BMW's I've ridden have felt like that. Whether you like that sensation, as opposed to a front end that might be little jumpier, but gives you more feedback (like every other motorcycle I've ever ridden) would be up to you.)

If you wanted to save a little money, you could look at the non-Factory Mille, and my assessment would still hold.

Be prepared for someone to tell you that you are too inexperienced to be considering either of these motorcycles.

Enjoy,

14. jim c

jim c Millennium Member

depends on how mechanical you are.
    there are far less servicedepts/dealers for the aprilla than bmw. which isn;t saying much as there are almost next to no bmw dealers outside of larger metro areas.
    i have the r1100rt but wouldn't turn down an aprilla for the right price.
    what kind of riding would you be doing? that is where you should start your decision making from.
    if you decide to go american made i'd sell you my 95 electra-glide.
    and even ride it to your door for you.

15. Catbird

Catbird loves guns!

I don't know if these pics are helpful or not --

This is my 1996 BMW R1100RTL that I bought new in January 1997. I just took these pics last week on a rather cloudy day.

Pic 1 shows the bike fully dressed; pic 2 is without the rear travel trunk; pic 3, completely "nekkid".

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. EdTracker

EdTracker GTDS Lifetime Member

I have a 2004 R1100S and my only complaint would be the lack of padding on the seat. When you are riding hard you will never notice it but in the touring mode it is a real nazi-torture device.

Having put 20k on it since last Feb. the only cost has been scheduled maintenance. The local dealership charges $75/hr. so that makes the first couple of maint. periods costly.

The factory saddlebags are enormous and come in handy for daily driving.

If you want fast fast then the R1100S is not the bike but all things being equal the fit and finish are top notch. The bike needs another 20hp to be competitive with the other import 1300 cc sport touring bikes.

Don't by a new bike! Go find a nice used one... they run forever.

tracker

17. 45acp4me

45acp4me Pissed puppet

Especially if it's his first bike. It hurts less making the newbie mistakes on a used one.

I shouldn't have visited this forum. I'm in Miami for the week and I miss my Bandit.