close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

BMW R-1100 &1150's {RT's}

Discussion in 'Moto Club' started by p7k3, Oct 5, 2006.

1. p7k3

p7k3

Lately I'm jones'in for a late model Beemer as my airheads getting on in age. What concerns me is how is the maintanance on the late model bikes.
    From the looks of them,seems like you can't do much work yourself.
    Any of you have any experience with them? Are they big bucks to keep on the road?

Thanks, Rick

2. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

Don't get the one with the ABS system and you'll be able to twirl the wrench all you want on it. Even if you were to get one with the ABS system, you can still do all the mechanical maintenance and tweaking with the exception of being able to do diagnostic on the ABS system. The Motronic (aka Moronic) fuel injection system is very simplistic and still has the fast idle lever for cold starting (it's not a choke per se but just to help idle the bike faster when it's cold).

Please, do not get the servo-assisted ABS system. It's a pain in the wazoo to fix if it ever were to take a crap on you, not to mention it's impossible to modulate and thus really hampers your ability to perform slow speed maneuvers.

If I were to have more experience with the quirkiness of the servo-assisted ABS system, I wouldn't have gotten it on my Rockster (aka R1150R with crazy paint job).

3. p7k3

p7k3

Thanks for the info, exactly what is the servo assisted ABS? All the bikes on ebay seem to have ABS. I could easily live without that but it seems to be std equipment.

4. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

ABS isn't standard equipment but it might as well be since that most people bought the bikes insisted on ABS.

I personally don't mind ABS, but the previous generation R1150 (R, RT, whatever) had these goofy servo-assisted mechanism to go with the ABS system. The servo assist is exactly that. It helps you brake a lot harder without having to apply a lot of finger pressure on the brakes. I think it was designed to help novice riders brake better, I guess. But the system is so very sensitive that it's nearly impossible to modulate. Touch the brakes and they want to stop the bike on a dime.

BMW received so much criticism not from magazine critics but from its own core riders so now the new generation of ABS doesn't feature this silly *** mechanism.

There are R1150R and Rockster bikes out there without ABS and the infernal servo assist. But I think that the RTs are probably all come with ABS. I have yet to see any of those without ABS.

Don't let the ABS and servo assist put you off buying a bike you want. I just want to let you know the caveats of owning one equipped with that thing. And no, you can't yank it all out and just use regular brakes - I checked out that option and my BMW guru said that the bike will not brake worth a damn and he was right. The few times my ABS cut out (old battery induces that effect), the bike brakes OK, but the braking force also decreased dramatically when compared to a non-servo BMW braking system.

The bottom line is that you can still wrench on the R1150-series until the cow comes home. I'm not much of a mechanic but with some minor tutelage, I can now do the valve adjustment and other doodads. Not much to these bikes, thank goodness.

5. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

Now I personally love the ABS, and have no problems with slow speed manuvers, but then again, going through Motorman classes on an RT will teach you how to properly ride slowly.

The only thing you really need to do to the bike is change the oil and filter, and ride the darn thing. There really isn't any other service to be done other than the final drive, but that's another story. If you get a K bike, you'll have antifreeze to change.

As far as bleeding the brakes, there are methods out there to tell you how to bleed the brakes at home. Just remember that you're changing brake fluid because it's full of water, not because it's dirty or worn out....

Now... If you're wanting an RT, buy one, very nice. I almost bought an RT myself, but fell in love with the GT and had to have it. Plus I got the faster blue one.

Oh yea, make sure you get the major service done at 100,000 miles ;) This consists mostly of an oil change and spark plugs...

:supergrin:

6. p7k3

p7k3

Thanks for the reply's,pretty familiar with service as I own a R series airhead, I just wanted to hear from owners not dealers if you catch my drift. That prety much covers it.

Thanks again, Rick

7. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

If you're feeling frisky, get a Rockster. The color scheme freaks out both BMW traditionalists and regular bikers:banana:

It has sportier shocks than the regular R1150R and slightly sportier riding position too - higher seat and lower, flatter handle bar.

It ain't fast but it sure is fun after a wee bit of tinkering. Next year I'm going to upgrade mine with either Works Performance shocks or Ohlins shocks. I'm not quite sure yet.

8. p7k3

p7k3

If I were thirty years younger I would go that route, I'm an old rider now.If I lean down on the bars I might not get back up:sad:

9. G23Adam

G23Adam .- -.. .- --

I didn't like K bikes at one time, now as a brick-rider, I love 'em

I have a K12GT now ;) My dad rides an LT.

10. Short Cut

Short Cut PatrioticMember CLM

The oilhead RT is the ultimate solo touring rig imho. The biggest increase in maintenance cost you're likely to encounter is the price of radial vs bias ply tires. They'll be close to twice as much.

What kind of airhead do you have? I've had a few, but my favorite is the R100GSPD.

11. p7k3

p7k3

A 1986 R65, has 68000 on it now. I bought it in 1990 with less than 6000 on it.Bike looks close to showroom new.
    Just bought two new tires for it 120.00 shipped. But it's getting up there age wise, just like its owner:supergrin:

12. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

You're as old as you feel. I'd trade my bikes in for cruisers when Cycleglide and his missus trade their fast machines in for cruisers.

:banana: