BMW 328D

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Sharkey, Jan 20, 2020.

1. Pete perfection

Pete perfection

Did you not say the car was tuned. A 335i tuned makes 400hp 400tq. Race one see what happens.

2. Joshhtn

Joshhtn The eBay Guy Gold Member

Should've bought a mustang...

Rinspeed likes this.

3. BSA70

BSA70

Ditto big time. The scheduled maintenance is a killer. I have a friend that is a foreign vehicle mechanic, he can tell you horror stories about foreign cars.

4. Joshhtn

How many BMWs have you owned and what issues did you have?

OGW and BOOSTED12A like this.
  5. Chowser

Chowser

I've had
    2006 BMW 325xi - no issues. put 30+k on it.
    traded it in for
    2009 BMW 328xi - no issues, put about 29k on it then got divorced and it was in her name so she traded it in.
    got a 2018 430i xDrive convertible last year. So far so good. Do my own oil changes and brakes. Haven't had to do anything else. My daughter's car is an '08 Buick LaCrosse, just did her brakes, wheel bearings and control arms. She's at 109k miles now. We bought it new in 2008.

cbetts1 and Joshhtn like this.
  6. OGW

OGW SAF

I wouldn't buy anyone's diesel these days but that's entirely due to the antipollution systems manufacturers are forced to install. DEF and all the associated plumbing and EGR is a no-go in my book. Gasoline engines are complicated enough.

cbetts1 and Joshhtn like this.
  7. Joshhtn

Exactly.

I do 90% of my own wrenching, too. As far as scheduled maintenance being a "killer", I can change the oil in my bmw and my wife's MB in less than 30 min each and at a cost of less than $75. That's just slightly more than what it costs for my Tundra... Changed the rear pads and rotors in the MB a couple months ago for less than $300 and it was easier than changing the pads/rotors on my Toyota.

99% of people that talk about how horribly expensive it is to drive/own a german auto have never owned one before, but love to parrot what their mechanic friend said 35 years ago...

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Chowser, SRS, Rinspeed and 2 others like this.
  8. DAKA

DAKA

I WANT YOUR E 30 CAB....Last of the great BMWś, I´ve been looking for one but no nice ones around for sale, ....

9. Mr981

Mr981

Had a 2008 328i sedan with a manual..bought new..traded in 2015 with 85K on it.
    No real issues with the car for the most part until the last few thousand miles when some sensors started going bad and my Indy said said something about a cam actuator might be starting to fail, which eventually led to trading the car.
    Terrific road car for traveling long distances, save the support in the stock seats which felt less great as the miles added up.
    The motor was surprisingly low on TQ--200ft.lb.--and in a 3500 lb. car you really noticed it on a day with the air on with 4 people on the car. Above 4000 rpm, the car was in it's own element :).
    I drove a 335D at a BMW event and was impressed with the low end power--great fun.The sport suspension in that particular car would loosen your fillings, courtesy of the stiff shocks and RFTs. If you get the car, I'd suggest dumping the RFTs for conventional tires if so equipped.
    If you have access to a good Indy mechanic and car do some of the basic maintenance yourself I'd say go for it, assuming it passed a thorough PPI. A good Indy would be the key to this deal...
    Regarding a new BMW, we drove a M340i at an event this past fall and it was an absolute hoot to drive--390+HP, big brakes, slick tranny and more interior room than our old E90. If I was in the market for a new sport sedan today, that is where I'd start looking.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
    Sharkey likes this.
  10. Sharkey

Sharkey

This might be a reason not to get it. We live off the Interstate but this will kind of be a second car for me since work provides a vehicle - we just ordered the Navigator Reserve (lucky me) so the car will be used on the weekend mostly going to the gym, dinner, etc. That said, we used the Sprinter van this way with the occasional camping trip thrown in and the only issue was a torn hose from the turbo. We'll see. They had a 320 and 328 gassers but haven't priced them yet.

11. PEC-Memphis

PEC-Memphis Scottish Member

As noted, the comparisons are factory stock, same model vintage 2014-2016.

12. speedway

speedway

My dads 550GT drinks more oil than gas. Engine had burnt valves. Extended warranty paid to replace engine around 69k miles. New engine drinks a ton of oil still. Just not as much as before. 4.4l v8 is one I’d avoid.

Air bags in suspension also failed.

cbetts1 likes this.
  13. BOOSTED12A

BOOSTED12A

Yeah that 4.4 has rod bearings issues too like the v10. It amazes me the same company can build a 6 that can put out 700hp with bigger turbos but cant get an n/a engine right.......

Last edited: Feb 15, 2020 at 10:00 PM
  14. Sharkey

Sharkey

Well, I looked at a lot of things but in the end traded my FWD S60 Inscription for a Japanese Muscle Car. BMW and MB stories just kept worrying me and I have a BMW cycle so......

Last week I went to a Audi dealership and got a 18 Infiniti Q50 with 14K miles and 2 years of warranty left. Had the safety features I needed and a heated steering wheel. Best of all it is RWD and 300HP from a 3.0L Twin Turbo. Black was not my preferred color but the deal and low finance rate was too good to pass up.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

BOOSTED12A and Rinspeed like this.
  15. BOOSTED12A

BOOSTED12A

Lots of power can be had from that ttv6. Get an oil catch can. It will keep your valves cleaner. Congrats on the new ride!

Sharkey likes this.
  16. Dynactus

Dynactus

Bought the wife one. Fun, reliable car. I enjoyed driving it more than she did. The only thing I remember that I didn't like about it was when I drove it at about 110 mph the front end felt like it was going to leave the pavement. I know it wasn't, but it felt that way. Never did figure out what made it feel like that. I had a lot of fun surprising an unsuspecting passenger by turning a 90 degree corner way faster than normal. I can recommend BMWs.

OGW, Sharkey and Jan R Whitaker like this.
  17. Sharkey

Sharkey

Hmm, I will have to check into that. Never heard of it. I have registered at the Infiniti forum and trying to learn more about the car. I don't plan on any mods but you never know.