Blued Colt Delta Elite, what to look for?

Discussion in '1911 Forums' started by Hogpauls, Apr 16, 2012.

1. Hogpauls

Hogpauls

This is my latest wild hair I've been thinking about getting. I've read they may have had problems with cracking but not sure.

Please fill me in. Are there specific areas I should be playing closer attention to besides the normal wear?

2. yfdcap

yfdcap

The first ones had a window only where the slide stop/release is. That was the very first ones built. Colt cut the top out of the window after that and no more cracking. I would just check it out like any other 1911 examine close for any signs of abuse. I have a blue and stainless and they have been 100% reliable. Great guns.
    See this link http://www.bren-ten.com/website/id53.html

Last edited: Apr 16, 2012

3. fnfalman

fnfalman Chicks Dig It

If they come with the factory wraparound rubber grips, check underneath the grip panels and the front strap to make sure that there's no rust.

4. Hogpauls

Hogpauls

Thanks guys. Did a little extra googling and along with your help I have some pretty good info.

5. IndianaMatt

IndianaMatt

I think Colt had some quality issues 10 or so years ago, but everything i am reading these days points to them having that mostly cleared up.

You didn't say if you were buying new or used, but I think with a new one you can rest assured.

Colt's quality these days is some of the best out there.

6. faawrenchbndr

faawrenchbndr CLM

Make sure the slide stop cut-out is open at the top. This area was
    crack prone on the older models. Replace the recoil and firing pin
    springs on a used model.

7. Navitimer

Navitimer

Make sure to get your hands, elbow and shoulder reinforced, since those 10MMs can have some kick! Serously though, great gun. The DEs on my wish list. Please post some pics if you get it!

8. FLSlim

FLSlim

Good advice above. I bought mine new in 1991 and Colt had already remedied the frame issue at that time. So unless you look at the very earliest models (late 80s I think) you shouldn't have a problem. Check them out like you would any other 1911. BTW, they are fun to shoot and not so hard to handle as some would have you believe. This is one of my guns that I will not part with.

9. Pro-Hunter

Pro-Hunter

Do not shoot full power loads in it. The gun can't handle alot of that. I am speaking fron experience, not something I heard or read on the interwebs. I have been shooting 10mm's for 20 plus years, the earlier guns can't handle a lot of full power loads without damaging the pistol. the 10 Ring on here has a lot of info you may wanna read.

10. yfdcap

yfdcap

What damage? Any pics?

11. Cochese

Cochese Most mackinest CLM

Anyone have any pics of a modernized Delta Elite?

Skell trigger/Magwell/Commander hammer?

12. yfdcap

yfdcap

13. Bren

Bren NRA Life Member

I've been shooting the same Delta Elite for 20-21 years, in law enforcement, competition, etc., with full power ammo. I've even shot a few USPSA matches using old school, hot Remington hollow point ammo from the early 90's. No problems.

14. Pro-Hunter

Pro-Hunter

So have I, so you aren't special.I carry a 10 on my hip every day as my duty weapon. Been shooting them since the early 90's. Buy some real 10mm ammo from Underwood and run a few hundred through an original Delta and tell me how it likes it. It isn't recommended to use full power loads in the early guns due to the unsupported chamber.