Glock Talk banner

Blue Hawaii: LEOSA and Hawaii

1656 Views 19 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  Gombey
Found informative write-up on Police One, for anyone travelling to Hawaii this summer:

http://www.policeone.com/retirement...e-states-make-CCW-under-LEOSA-tough-for-cops/
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

· Massive Member
27,270 Posts
Found informative write-up on Police One, for anyone travelling to Hawaii this summer:

http://www.policeone.com/retirement...e-states-make-CCW-under-LEOSA-tough-for-cops/
They can pound sand.

Frankly, what Hawaii is requiring is not required. Unless I misunderstand LEOSA, they have no authority to require those procedures, any procedures at all, and you can legally ignore them, they can pound sand. LEOSA grants you the authority to carry there, without jumping through their hoops.

Problem is, you can beat the rap, but you can't beat the ride. IANAL.

Randy

· Registered
5,683 Posts
Not thrilled with the requirements but it seems to be less of a hassle then I would have thought they might come up with.

Just a tad different from where I live in AZ...

· Registered
14,332 Posts
If I had the time, I'd be the test case. It'd be nice to have extra cash after the federal lawsuit was settled.

Hawaii doesn't get to make their own rules. They can follow the law, or pay a lot of cash out. I don't know why they obviously feel that LEOSA doesn't apply to them, or how they can make up new rules...but, their laws need to be challenged.

· Registered
2,453 Posts
If I had the time, I'd be the test case. It'd be nice to have extra cash after the federal lawsuit was settled.

Hawaii doesn't get to make their own rules. They can follow the law, or pay a lot of cash out. I don't know why they obviously feel that LEOSA doesn't apply to them, or how they can make up new rules...but, their laws need to be challenged.
The way courts are making up their own rules now days, I'm not sure I want to trust my freedom to the "Hope" that they would rule in my favor, even if I was 110% right.

· Registered
5,683 Posts
If I had the time, I'd be the test case. It'd be nice to have extra cash after the federal lawsuit was settled...
I understand how you feel, but the reality is, the authorities can drag these cases out for some time, and, in the event they lose, it's the taxpayers that foot the bill.

· Massive Member
27,270 Posts
The way courts are making up their own rules now days, I'm not sure I want to trust my freedom to the "Hope" that they would rule in my favor, even if I was 110% right.
Has anyone ever lost a LEOSA case?

Seems like the courts have bent over backwards at least as far as deciding people are covered, even flimsy cases. Coast Guard boarding officers for one. PA constables not even on the payroll of a govt agency, just freelancing on warrants were considered employees and covered.

Randy

· Registered
3,940 Posts
Remember the two US Senators from Hawaii voted NO on LEOSA. Hawaii is a beautiful place but I would not go there and spend my money there. Screw'em

· Pretty Ladies!
4,995 Posts
Gotta catch you first.

Reactions: ChrisJn

· Banned
25,596 Posts
$16 to be printed just to carry while on holiday. What a..holes. Govts. (to include the Feds) just make crap up now. Following the law would be a refreshing idea.

· Registered
149 Posts

· Semper Paratus
31,426 Posts

Attachments

· Registered
14,332 Posts
All law-abiding Americans should be allowed to carry. NOT just cops. Read the Constitution. Period.
And, in other news, water is wet. The sun is hot. The primary color of the sky is blue.

Here's a clue about what "should be" and what "is": the reality of LEOSA, as is evident by this thread, is that it's extremely difficult to get 50 states to agree on firearms related issues. This law took a LONG time to pass Congress. It's been amended a couple of times, to allow for idiotic laws as found in NJ, regarding hollow point ammunition.

So, there's been all this drama and conflict over LEOSA - a law that allows trained law enforcement officers to carry weapons. And, you somehow believe that the country should just up and go with the unrestricted carriage of guns? Yeah, I mentioned the color of the sky earlier...what's it like where you live?

· Registered
149 Posts
And, in other news, water is wet. The sun is hot. The primary color of the sky is blue.

Here's a clue about what "should be" and what "is": the reality of LEOSA, as is evident by this thread, is that it's extremely difficult to get 50 states to agree on firearms related issues. This law took a LONG time to pass Congress. It's been amended a couple of times, to allow for idiotic laws as found in NJ, regarding hollow point ammunition.

So, there's been all this drama and conflict over LEOSA - a law that allows trained law enforcement officers to carry weapons. And, you somehow believe that the country should just up and go with the unrestricted carriage of guns? Yeah, I mentioned the color of the sky earlier...what's it like where you live?

I didn't realize you would get upset over my opinion.

Reactions: silentpoet
1 - 20 of 20 Posts