close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Blue box blackhill ammo what grain and type of bullet for coyotes,out of a AR-15

Discussion in 'Hunting, Fishing & Camping' started by BLACK Z, Jan 11, 2003.

1. BLACK Z

BLACK Z

55GR soft point 52GR holow point? I don't think they make a 55 GR hollow point, do they? I pratice with 55 GR win Q3131A ammo. Thanks

2. DJ Niner

DJ Niner Moderator

Of those two, I'd say the 55 grain softpoint. The 52 grain HPs are made in two different types; match and varmint.

- Match has a tiny HP, and a harder core (to resist deformation). It's designed to shoot paper targets, so may not expand (or may expand erratically) on game.

- Varmint (Speer 52 grain is the specific one I'm referring to, here) has a HUGE HP opening. It will begin to expand on the fur of the coyote's hide. There is two possible problems with this bullet for 'yotes: poor penetration (because it expands so quickly), and functioning problems (because the HP cavity is so large). If it feeds through your guns/mags, and you take broadside heart/lung shots or frontal chest shots ONLY, it kills like a hand grenade. However, if you try to push it through from a rear quartering angle, it might not reach the vitals. Sometimes on the side shots, though, it leaves a pretty big exit hole.

The 55 SP is consistently a good killer, won't totally rag the pelt, and feeds in most guns reliably.

ChaChing! That's my two cents...

3. mpol777

mpol777 Feral Member

if you're pelting, stay away from varmint bullets. anything that's designed to rapidly expand when it hits the whisker of a prarie dog, will tear the hell out of a pelt.

i use speer's match 52gr HPBT. accuracy is just plain awesome with that design and i haven't had one walk away yet. expansion may be a problem on longer shots out of the lower velocity .223, but inside 200 i wouldn't see a problem. since most shots will be inside 100 it's all good. SP design is good too, i just don't like it as much. both will cleanly take a coyote, with less mess than a varmint design.

4. MarkCO

MarkCO CLM Millennium Member

Why don't you just call Black Hills on the phoner and ask them which they recomend?