Blue Angels...

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by Folsom_Prison, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

One thing on my bucket list has been to see them, that happened today as they were in town, I'm no plane junkie. I've rode shotgun and tried my hand under guidance with little personal Cessna and Cherokee tin cans. Can you say... BORING!!

A fly by with one of those war machines has always got the blood pumping though. Today ranked really high in the badass factor of stuff I've seen/attended. The feel, the sound, standing on a bridge feeling it shake as they buzzed by. Watching Fat Albert cruise along and seeing that fat pig cruise up doing a 45 degree angle.

Watching them in formation like they are on rails is wild! The head on from my angle looked like they were going to crash. It's been a few years or more since they've been to KC. If they come back next year I know where I'll be that weekend.

[​IMG]

AirCav likes this.
  2. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

I like the Blue Angels far better than the Thunderbirds, maybe because I've flown with a former Blue Angel pilot (sadly a Marine) and have one friend who flew with the Angels and another who did their PA.

3. KWalrad

KWalrad No Wire Hangers!

Few things are cooler than the Blue Angels.

4. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Why say sadly a marine?

5. XDRoX

XDRoX

Every year I hear them. They come here late summer every year. Or maybe they're stationed here, I'm not sure. But my whole life I've always heard how cool the shows where. Maybe someday...

6. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Just do it, doubt you will be disappointed.

7. XDRoX

XDRoX

Now that I have a son I definitely will. Thanks.

8. GVIFlyer

GVIFlyer Senior Member

Interservice rivalry. I actually like Marines (don't tell!). I had an inter-service assignment with the Marines and was a direct report to Gen. Richard Hearney, a name that will mean something to Marines. Here's a pic of the guy because I think he represents the archetypical Marine and could be on a Marine recruiting poster. Oorah.

[​IMG]

9. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

I guess it's like the Ford/Chevy guy thing. I've never been in the military, I have/had thought about it but couldn't ever give up my freedom and having somebody telling me what to do/ where to live.

More power to you guys.

GVIFlyer likes this.
  10. LippCJ7

LippCJ7

I have seen the Angels a couple times and they are spectacular, I have seen the Thunderbirds far more and I can't say that I think either team is more special then the other but since I don't get to see the Angels as often it seems to be more special.

I get to see the Thunderbirds every year at the Air Force Academy, you can't go from Denver to Colorado Springs when they are flying, it stops the Interstate and all roads North/South for an hour every year, and nobody cares a bit, what a great show!

11. Folsom_Prison

Folsom_Prison Brew Crew

Well the thunderbirds is a new idea to me, I've always heard Blue Angels! Not putting them down just saying.

Either way more power to them. Today I felt like my tax money was going to a good cause for once. If you want to burn money, at least give me some real life entertainment.

12. G19Tony

G19Tony Sneet CLM

I saw the Blue Angels during the F-4 days. Wow!

Glockdude1 likes this.
  13. failsafe

failsafe

Was that the air show at Wheeler downtown airport in KC ?

14. roger123

roger123

They put on a good show for sure!

15. plp

plp

They are based out of Pensacola and often train off Fort Morgan, out in the Gulf. I've seen them practice many times, nothing like watching them screaming along about a hundred feet off the water in formation, kicking up a rooster tail, then go straight up in a starburst. Amazing.

They have some kind of spotter, either an AWACS or whatever has replaced it, that I assume spots for vessels.

16. 686Owner

686Owner NRA Life Member

I saw the Blue Angels first and I thought they were better than the Thunderbirds as well. Not that the Thunderbirds were bad. Hell, maybe it was the extra engine making more noise that made them more impressive.

17. tous

tous GET A ROPE!

Might could be that the Blue Angels pilot one of the most awesomenest aircraft ever built in the history of mankind, nay, in the entire Universe. :supergrin: :whistling:

Both the Thunderbirds and the Blue Angels exhibition teams do a remarkable job. Seeing F-16s or F/A-18s pass before you might even get the chil'run's noses out of their danged phones for a minute or two.

orangejeep06 and G19Tony like this.
  18. BobRicks

BobRicks

We were at Ft. Morgan a couple of years ago and watched them practice for about 2 or 3 days in a row. Then last year we saw them practice before a show in San Francisco. I have never seen a show that they have done, but just watching them practice lets me know that I NEED to see a show one of these days!

19. racer11

racer11

Yep it was,,,,,I did not go to the show but watched their practice sessions while I was in the downtown area,,,,impressive to say the least.

20. aircarver

aircarver Descent Terminated Silver Member

WhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaT !! ... :fred: ... :tongueout: ... :tbo:

Got that right !
    The Thunderbirds do a better 'bang up' show ...
    The Blue Angels do a more graceful show ...

The 'factory's pilots do the best demo of the awesomest characteristics of the F-16 .... :supergrin: ... :poke:

Last edited: Aug 23, 2015
    Caver 60 likes this.