Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Firm member
30,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone (at a good social distance) asked how much money was spent on the east coast fly-overs today and my response was that they have to fly x-number of hours each month so why not NYC? Did they spend more than usual to do this east coast city flyover thing? HH

·
Registered
7,073 Posts
They are gonna fly & practice anyway. Of course being on the road costs more than the home base, they’d normally start doing air shows about now.

Just think of the $$ savings if the military didn’t spend any on training, police too? I don’t like to see money flushed, in the big scheme of things though, not a biggie.

·
Registered
12,905 Posts
Probbaly not. They practice daily. With fuel prices being lower it's a great time to do it!!
Not sure current low prices matter in such instances. Pretty sure airline companies negotiate for relatively long term contracts with big oil companies so ups and downs of market prices don't affect them in the short term. Don

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
One time several years ago I was traveling up the interstate and saw them coming the opposite way in formation. They were practicing for an air show the next day. Quite a sight to see!

·
Premium Member
14,605 Posts
They flew over my neighborhood yesterday. It was brief, but awesome.
At around 1:40 PM on Tuesday I was driving north on River Road just short of Washington's Crossing PA, there was a huge rumble behind me and as I looked to my right the formation was making a slow sweeping right hand turn back over the Delaware River.
Pure Awesomeness. It lifted my spirits.

·
Registered
8,880 Posts
At around 1:40 PM on Tuesday I was driving north on River Road just short of Washington's Crossing PA, there was a huge rumble behind me and as I locked to my right the formation was making a slow sweeping right hand turn back over the Delaware River.
Pure Awesomeness. It lifted my spirits.
I live in Ewing. At 1:46 pm I heard them, leapt off my sofa and ran to my back sliding door and saw a group of 4, then a solitary one bringing up the rear.

·
Premium Member
14,605 Posts
I live in Ewing. At 1:46 pm I heard them, leapt off my sofa and ran to my back sliding door and saw a group of 4, then a solitary one bringing up the rear.
I was coming back from a Wine run at Joe Canal's......... The NJ overpasses had people parked, waiting and hundreds of cars pulled over to the side of the road near Trenton airport. Waiting, watching.
There were many proud Americans who enjoyed the brief show.

·
Sneet
16,339 Posts
The Military can't get too much training. On our visit to Pennsacola, we were told the Blue Angels were fighting aircraft, and could be converted to fight within hours.
You don't see it often, but there have been occasional pictures of Thunderbird aircraft with hardpoints and missiles on the wings.

·
Premium Member
CLM #38
10,605 Posts
You don't see it often, but there have been occasional pictures of Thunderbird aircraft with hardpoints and missiles on the wings.

So the Thunderbirds have the same combat conversion capabilities as the Blue Angels?

Perfect. Zap Migs in both color schemes.

·
Registered
2,180 Posts
The Military can't get too much training. On our visit to Pennsacola, we were told the Blue Angels were fighting aircraft, and could be converted to fight within hours.
They say that but I doubt its true mostly just window dressing. The blue angels airframes are the oldest f18s in the fleet and they are literally falling apart.

https://foxtrotalpha.jalopnik.com/blue-angel-f-a-18-hornets-shed-parts-in-flight-twice-in-1709836712

This is mainly a product of the Obama era lack of aircraft procurement combined with bombing half the world. I do think they will be getting new planes in the next few years finally this isn't to denigrate what they do just mainly to point out the risks these people are taking for their mission

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
Keep them folks flying. Good for morale.
This. It's PR, but worth every penny I'm paying as a taxpayer. People actually getting something from their government (entertainment) instead of just more government.

Only possible actual military benefit would be inspiring young people to want to fly and serve. And that, as they say, is priceless.

When they come to our air base, they often end a few of their loops and joins a few hundred feet over my house. I can't help but smile as my crockery shakes, rattles, and rolls.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts