Votes: 2 8.7%
  • Phillips

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
12,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's time for a new Blu-ray player I have several to chose from all in my price range. what would you get, all have the same features priced $109.00 to $119.00
I'm leaning towards the Samsung or the LG

·
Banned
5,038 Posts
honestly in today electronics , blu ray players are basically the same . there is no big differences anymore . pick one or flip a coin . im partial to sony electronics but got a LG TV .

i dont have stand alone player i use my ps3 .

·
Banned
12,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've gave some thought about a game system that plays Blu-ray but the only game that interest me is Madden NFL in coaching mode, never played any shooter games?

·
Registered
220 Posts
Even if you don't play games a ps3 is a great device. I use mine for DVDs, slide shows, Netflix, amazon instant , you tube, music and watching videos I downloaded from the internet. You can plug flash drives into it and play files that way or over your home network. Used ones are cheaper than a good bluray player.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Sony BDP-S3100

88 bucks on Amazon. Done.

·
Formerly retired EE.
14,325 Posts
You might want to take a look at the Panasonic models. These are well featured and if you have a DLP TV they support the Checkerboard 3D mode.

I have been very happy with mine (BDT-220), this was replaced with the BDT-230. Costs $108 at Amazon.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP-BDT230-Smart-Blu-Ray-Player/dp/B00AYB3OMG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1380685837&sr=8-1&keywords=DMP-BDT230"]Amazon.com: Panasonic DMP-BDT230 Smart Wi-Fi 3D Blu-Ray Player: [email protected]@[email protected]@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/[email protected]@[email protected]@21PJo-TikYL[/ame]

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
You might want to take a look at the Panasonic models. These are well featured and if you have a DLP TV they support the Checkerboard 3D mode.

I have been very happy with mine (BDT-220), this was replaced with the BDT-230. Costs $108 at Amazon.
I've got a Panasonic. Good picture but it takes FOREVER to connect to Netflix (like 3-4+ minutes). The black & white tube TV I watched as a kid warmed up way faster than that. (BTW, there's nothing wrong with my router; my laptop connects to it very quickly.)

·
Registered
3,721 Posts
Go with the Bravia. :whistling: Chicks dig the Bravia.

Everyone on GT knows they are the best. :supergrin:

·
Registered
74 Posts
Mraforever has it right. Ps3 has a much better processor for WiFi. Most or maybe all blu-rays have poor WiFi reception. My Sony bluray has a hard time linking to Netflix or youtube or any of the dozens of WiFi programs available, but all my computers and my grandsons ps3 are instantaneous and don't lose the signal. If you are using WiFi get a ps3.

Sent from my VS920 4G using Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
481 Posts
DVD and bluray is already out dated technology. Cars are no longer installing optical disks, software companies are no longer shipping CDs or DVDs. In a few months your bluray will be collecting dust with your VHS player.

·
Banned
12,633 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
DVD and bluray is already out dated technology. Cars are no longer installing optical disks, software companies are no longer shipping CDs or DVDs. In a few months your bluray will be collecting dust with your VHS player.
So if Blu-rays are out of date as you say :dunno:
Whats the next big thing, haven't heard that Blu-Rays are a no go anymore...

·
Formerly retired EE.
14,325 Posts
I've got a Panasonic. Good picture but it takes FOREVER to connect to Netflix (like 3-4+ minutes). The black & white tube TV I watched as a kid warmed up way faster than that. (BTW, there's nothing wrong with my router; my laptop connects to it very quickly.)
I use an ethernet connection and my Panasonic connects to Netflix and Amazon very quickly. Must be the wi-fi connection that is the problem. My wi-fi router is within 3 feet of the blue-ray player, so a wired connection is not a problem.

·
Registered
489 Posts
So if Blu-rays are out of date as you say :dunno:
Whats the next big thing, haven't heard that Blu-Rays are a no go anymore...
I don't know what he is talking about but for me I am going all digital I'm transferring all my DVD and blu-ray to vudu same HD picture but don't have to worry about discs being damaged ever again. And don't have to worry about kids leaving movies all over the house they are all right there in my digital library all nice near and tidy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
Señor Member
4,842 Posts
Get the one on the right.

·
Registered
410 Posts
If you're getting a 'stand alone' player, get one that supports 3D. Then, if and when you get a new TV you can get one that supports 3D.

If you're thinking the game system route, you may want to wait until December when the new PS4 and XBox One are released.

·
Registered
5,395 Posts
I don't know what he is talking about but for me I am going all digital I'm transferring all my DVD and blu-ray to vudu same HD picture but don't have to worry about discs being damaged ever again. And don't have to worry about kids leaving movies all over the house they are all right there in my digital library all nice near and tidy.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Ohub Campfire mobile app
Course there is just as much risk, if not more using a service like VUDU. They could go out of business, then you have nothing.

Honestly, it's all the same these days. They all make find Blu-Ray players. I'd either just get the cheapest one, or possibly get one the same brand as the TV. I've got a phillips TV and Blu-Ray and the nice thing is out of the box my TV remote also controled my Blu-Ray player.

·
I like Macs
7,683 Posts
I have a sony do some variety. While u am not a big fan of Sony stuff, I must say it has been a great BD player. It is about 3 yrs old and does a great job. It streams Netflix, amazon, crackle, youtube, and a lot more stuff. I couldn't ask for a better player. Only complaint some might have is it isn't wifi...adapter sold separately...but it sits about 2ft from my router so it's no problem to use the Ethernet cable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
we have a samsung player (BD-D5500?).. hate it ...

slow to load blu-ray ...
occasionally stutters during playback ...
don't get me started on its ability to stream Netflix ...

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
we have a samsung player (BD-D5500?).. hate it ...

slow to load blu-ray ...
occasionally stutters during playback ...
don't get me started on its ability to stream Netflix ...
I have a feeling the lower entry models are all like this. I have a SONY BD in the bedroom that is slow to get through its operating system, lags in NETFLIX (plays them well, but navigation through and forbid you have to fast foward or reverse...laggy).

My PS3 though...can play any BluRay updates frequently, can stream Netflix with perfection, and like others have said...is an all around much better option with many other features you will learn to love.

·
Registered
630 Posts
PS3 is great for all of the already mentioned uses.

I use it for everything except gaming. Nothing against games, I just can't find time to get into them.

One good thing about ps3 is that it (mine, at least) runs cool. I'm not sure about the dedicated blu ray players.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts