close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Blowout Kit (With Pictures)

Discussion in 'Firefighter/EMS Talk' started by Victory, Jan 27, 2006.

1. Victory

Victory

Here's a few pics of mine. Most concealed carry conversation on boards like this is about shooting the bad guy. Very little attention is paid to the bad guy shooting you or someone you care about. Denial is human nature.

Everyone should have a blowout kit and know how to use its contents. Perhaps this can serve as a basic guide for building your own. A basic first responder course will teach you how to use most of what's in here.

The contents of this kit are available from www.tacticalresponsegear.com and www.buyemp.com -- Props to my suppliers.

I packed my kit in a maxpedition M5. It's clearly identified with the universal red cross. The blood type tag is mainly useless, but i keep it there for the CDI factor.
    [​IMG]

Universal Precautions in the outside zipper pocket. Holds a few pairs.
    [​IMG]

Cinch-tight Catostrophic Trauma Kit. Contains a cinch tight pressure bandage (can be applied with 1 hand) and a pair of individually wrapped primed gauze in a compact, vacuum sealed bag.
    [​IMG]

in the same forward compartment is a CPR shield
    [​IMG]

and a tourniquet (this type can be applied with 1 hand)
    [​IMG]

the main compartment
    [​IMG]

Occlusive Dressings (vasoline gauze)
    [​IMG]

TraumaDEX. (or quick-clot, whatever you prefer. Both are great products that serve their intended purpose)
    [​IMG]

A couple 5x9 gauze dressings
    [​IMG]

And some kerlix
    [​IMG]

Nasal Airways. These are the two most common sizes. Make sure one of the sizes you pack is YOUR size.
    [​IMG]

Oral Airways. Again the most common sizes. Same rule applies, make sure one is your size.
    [​IMG]

Finally, the Asherman Chest Seal for pneumothorax. Great piece of equipment. A lot quicker than making a 1 way valve out of a gum wrapper and tape.
    [​IMG]

2. TED

TED Millennium Member

I just wnat to bump this thread as I feel it is excellent and more people should see it.

Thanks for a high quality post that very well could save a life.

TED

3. JGinzo

JGinzo

I am a Firefighter/Medic in South Florida so maybe it is a "local" term that I don't understand but what is a "blowout" kit? Is that what you all refer to a trauma bag or tactical medic bag? I am a little confused, sorry if I come off a little stoopid but I am curious. Thanks...;g

4. Victory

Victory

A blowout kit is something a soldier would carry on his person. It's to save your *** until the medic gets to you. In the civillian world it serves essentially the same purpose. The bare minimum kit for trauma generally associated with violent crime (gunshot, stabbing) I think anyone who packs a pistol and is serious about their self defense should keep one handy.

5. JGinzo

JGinzo

Thanks. I felt REALLY dummm for not knowing what that was! Thanks. It's kind of like what we had on us when I served years ago, first aid kit, but better prepared. Cool. Vey good idea really. That pack that you show, is it like a backpack or something or is it reall small and tight like a fanny pack?

6. Victory

Victory

the blowout kit is a maxpedition M5 Waistpack. Really tight and compact, but holds lots of gear. http://www.maxpedition.com/product/product_m5.htm

It's MALICE clipped to the side of my Maxpedition condor backpack (which is my BIG trauma kit that i keep in my trunk)
    http://www.maxpedition.com/product/product_bp_condor.htm used to be my hiking pack, now i'm setting up a condor II for hiking (better designed hydration system)

Due to it modular ability I can take it off, clip it to my belt or mount it on an assault vest, mount it on my hiking pack, whatever.

7. JGinzo

JGinzo

Thanks. I appreciate the education!

8. Victory

Victory

i took a few snapshots from further out for size comparison (incase you couldn't reference fron the closeup pictures). The condor is pictured with the M5 blowout kit mounted on the left. AR and magazine for size comparison and eye candy.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. JGinzo

JGinzo

10. Victory

Victory

Screw it, since i'm at it, here's a Condor and Fatboy teaser.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Day Planner of DOOM!
    [​IMG]

Get ready for this....Holds a lot of ****, don't it?
    [​IMG]
    Couldn't quite get it all in one picture...theres a fox labs 2oz OC grenade, 50ft of paracord and a 4" folder hidden in that mess somewhere. It's also occasionally got an M3x and Monadnock autolock 21" attached to it (but not in that pic)

11. JGinzo

JGinzo

For not having one these for myself...

12. Victory

Victory

I blame it squarely on my instructors. If James Yeager hadn't asked "what good's an EMT without equipment?" (to be truthful it was more of a half hour long pre-class lecture) this **** would never have got done.

13. JGinzo

JGinzo

I hear you. I think I will work on something similar. I will make it my pet project.

14. Victory

Victory

cool, to use the cliche: the life you save may be your own.

use the links at the top of the page for gear and equipment. EMP has great prices and Tactical Response is great people (if you don't see something on their websight call them.)

Everyone should have something like this: in the trunk of your car, in your range bag. It's just a good idea.

15. JGinzo

JGinzo

I won't have a problem finding what I need.

16. Yeager

Yeager

17. HNS

HNS CLM

I was thinking, is there actaully a reason to carry any CPR supplies?

Most trauma codes die, besides, if this is for tactical situations there is no reason to code somone as you are expending tremendous energy and exposing yourself to tremendous risk.

Now, an ET tube and Mac 3, that is airway management. But, it is also useless unless you are going to be able to do something, like transort.

I do like keeping it all in an exterior compartment that can be removed. Way to go.

18. JGinzo

JGinzo

There is a tremendous civil liability to start such procedures. For instance in Florida Paramedics are not licensed but certified. A Paramedic cannot initiate such proceduers like endotracheal intubation or IV therapy unless he is under medical direction (like when he is working on duty) or else he/she can be charged with practicing medicine and other civil liabilites.

Short of a major natural disaster like another Hurricane Katrina or Wilma you would be looking at some serious handslapping for such things especially if something goes wrong.

Personally I would limit your items to BLS items like emergency wound care and stuff.

Just my .02 having been in this game for about 15 years.

19. JGinzo

JGinzo

Where do you get a 2 oz OC Grenade??? Or did I read that wrong?

20. Victory

Victory

The short answer is: i'm not a soldier. This is a kit i keep in my trunk, i keep it with me when i'm outdoors, it stays with me at the range when i'm training. In 99.999% of my daily life i do not intend the be recieving incoming enemy fire. If someone expires while i'm training, hiking or whatnot, i'll be glad i packed the oral airways and CPR shield. If you'll notice, the blow out kit in my "tactical pack" is just gloves, the cinch tight pack, traumadex, asherman and a tournoquet.

Ginzo, 2 and 6 ounce fox labs pepper spray grenades are available here http://www.defensedevices.com/worhotpepspr.html

As they are non-pyrotechnic, they are legal for civillians to own. They work kind of like a roach bomb. You press the trigger, it clicks in place and fogs out a good size room. Careful deploying it because it starts the second you activate it. It's a good way to deploy OC without having to get close. Click, toss and walk away. Limited application, but for $15 why not? It was either that or put another 2oz can of spray in its place.