Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
mmm bop
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iv had my G17 since xmas, it probably has 1500rds through it currently. I was looking at the bore, which is completely clean, and very shiny. But looking a little closer, angling my bore light so I don't get as much shine, I can see the actual finish of the inside of the bore, which is very blotchy and copper colored from the jackets. Since I usually only use CLP to clean it, I figured I should bust out the hoppes elite which says it removes copper on the label, cleaned for a good 5 min with that and its still blotchy. Is this normal?

·
mmm bop
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's some pics to show what I'm talking about.

·
Registered
1,458 Posts
does it still shoot accurately and reliably?If so it aint broke so don't fix it.My ria 1911 looked like that but it never gave me any problems

·
mmm bop
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, nothing wrong with the function of the pistol itself, I was just a little concerned with the blotches. No big deal if its normal though.

·
Retired Member
9,202 Posts
I started using Hoppe's Elite shortly after buying my first Glock. I buy it in the large spray bottles, when ordering ammo.

After thousands of rounds in each gun, my G17, G19 & G21 barrels look great, with no blotches of any kind.

Are you using a bronze bore brush, as well as the OEM nylon brush, to clean your G17's bore?

You might want to cap the barrel and fill it with Hopp's Elite, letting it stand overnight. Or, soak it in a shallow container.

--Ray

·
mmm bop
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I run a boresnake dry to get all the lose particles/powder. Then I use the factory cleaning rod with a bronze brush and hoppes elite, then patches of CLP and let the CLP soak into the metal a little. Dry patch through and thats it as far as cleaning the barrel. I clean after every session, and sometimes I clean it even if I havn't shot it since the last cleaning. So its not normal? thats what I gather from you saying your barrels don't look like that.

·
mmm bop
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
U need more than CLP to clean the bore. Try Blue Wonder
Thats what I used to think. I used to use hoppes 9 with a brush, then only clp for lube. But I always found after cleaning with hoppes 9 until I got clean patches, then running the patch of CLP through the barrel its diiiiiiiiiiiirty all of a sudden. So I just use CLP to clean. Once I noticed the blotches though, I brought back the hoppes trying to get the copper looking color out of the barrel. Thats what I'm guessing it is.

·
Banned
6,920 Posts
:shocked: Wow, that's a pretty cruddy looking barrel!

Wrap a piece of, 'Lead Away' cloth around a Hoppe's phosphor-bronze brush and start scrubbing away. It should clean up nicely. (Don't use anywhere except inside the barrel.)

If you have to go further then, 'Sweet's 7.62' solution will do it for you. (Contains ammonia. So, read the directions!)

After you get that barrel cleaned up, begin regular cleaning with, 'Iosso Bore Cleaner' paste. You'll never have the problem again. ;)

·
mmm bop
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It isnt lead build up. Thats a clean barrel. it has a mirror reflection, I had to get it at a good angle to see the actual finish/blotches on the inside.

·
mmm bop
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
are you looking past the shine? at a glance my barrel looks perfect, really shiney, but I have to look at the right angle where its not glare from the shine to see the blotches.

·
Banned
6,920 Posts
Hard place to get a good picture of; but, here, how's this -

·
mmm bop
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yes, looking straight on it looks just like that, nice and shiny, but look at it from the side with a light down the barrel, and I can see the blotches. Here's a pic straight down the barrel, mirror/shiny. I have to look at it at an angle, past the glare of the shine to see the blotches, like in my first pic.

·
mmm bop
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Eh, I just decided I'm not gonna worry about it. You cant see it unless you REALLY look, other than that the barrel is flawless and I know I havnt gotten lazy with keeping it clean/oiled. The gun runs perfect too, so screw that cosmetic crap.

·
Banned
2,007 Posts
Eh, I just decided I'm not gonna worry about it. You cant see it unless you REALLY look, other than that the barrel is flawless and I know I havnt gotten lazy with keeping it clean/oiled. The gun runs perfect too, so screw that cosmetic crap.
Good decision. Just what I was going to suggest. :supergrin:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Eh, I just decided I'm not gonna worry about it.

Good decision. But just for the record, I learned something back when I was shooting my AR15 a lot...

soak the inside of barrel with #9 copper solvent (or Elite), let it sit overnight, then dry patch it. You'll be amazed at the crap that comes out, even though you thought the barrel was clean.

·
mmm bop
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm gonna try that tonight.

·
mmm bop
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I took the G17 to a gunshop with a glock armorer today. He said its just the black finish wearing on the inside of the barrel, probably from the bronze brush I used he said. Other than that he said the barrel is in great condition.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts