close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Bloom Energy Box

Discussion in 'The Okie Corral' started by MtBaldy, Feb 23, 2010.

1. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

anyone heard of these?

I mean there was a segment on them on 60 Minutes with Leslie Stahl so I'm guessing some one saw it.

He claims to have a revolutionary new power cell technology and some big name companies like Ebay, Google, FedEx, Walmart, etc. have bought into it and are running test installations.

The inventor is also not your typical plumber turned free energy scientist type either. He has actual credentials and accomplishments. Oh, and he's raised $400,000,000.00 venture capital without bringing a product to market, yet.

On the company's website there is a clock counting down to an unveiling that is supposed to happen tomorrow. If it's for real it could release us from Arab oil at least for power generation.

It sounds like so many inventions before it that were simple scams but if this one is he's scammed some pretty major people.

Take a look:

http://mashable.com/2010/02/21/bloom-box/

http://bloomenergy.com

2. HollowHead

HollowHead Firm member

It was a very interesting segment. I doubt the big names are being scammed as they have been delivered operational units and they are on-line and producing. The big question will be if they are cost-effective. HH

3. jp3975

jp3975

interesting.

Im sure the govt will find some way to stop it or it will cost a fortune.

4. glock19 lover

glock19 lover

very interesting i hope this is not a scam lol seems like a good idea to me.

5. srhoades

srhoades

I dunno, I would imagine any sitting President would love to be the one to give the Arabs the finger and bankrupt them overnight by stop buying their oil.

6. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Just wanted to add, the company's website is now live. I'm still looking around but it's pretty interesting.

7. Tenngunner

Tenngunner

Thanks for the post, I looked at the 60 min. segment and I sure hope he and "we" get it to work.

8. Tvov

Tvov

Interesting. Still uses outside fuel, although apparently very efficiently. Funny how those "simple boxes" actually looked rather complicated when fully installed, and much bigger than described at the beginning of the video. Supposedly a mailbox-sized (or smaller!) generater can power my house?? I'd really have to see that in operation.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  9. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Did any of you see that show that was on tv with billy mays where they were trying to take someones invention and make it into the next big "As Seen On TV" product?

There was an older gentleman on there that could change water into energy and he had claimed that he could run a car for months off of a little water.

The two guys looked at him in astonishment and asked if he serious.

He replied that he was quite serious and wanted to show them a demonstration and all the documentry and such.

They told him that he was in the wrong place for that and he would probably be getting calls from the government the next day.

10. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

Yeah, a lot of promise and very little hard information at this point. If a bread box sized unit can power a home then it could also probably power a car. The technology could make electric cars viable and free us from reliance on petroleum. I read elsewhere they are apparently changing their business model from selling the Energy Servers to installing them onsite and selling the electricity they produce. The Energy Servers will still owned, maintained, and managed (remotely) by Bloom Energy. I'm curious to know what needs to be managed remotely and can independent devices be constucted. Obviously any installed in cars need to be autonomous. Well, I've bookmarked the website anyway.

11. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

I seem to remember researching him and deciding he was a fraud but I can't remember his name right now.

12. Gallium

Gallium CLM

http://news.cnet.com/8301-27076_3-20000091-248.html?tag=newsLeadStoriesArea.1

Sunnyvale, Calif.-based Bloom Energy is holding a press event Wednesday morning where the company is expected to unveil further details on its Bloom Box product. In case you're just joining us, these boxes promise to not only bring ample amounts of power in a small amount of space, but to change people's dependency on traditional power grids. All for less than $3,000 a unit.
    A quick primer on the technology can be seen on this segment from CBS' "60 Minutes," which aired last week. We've also got an FAQ that explains more about what it does here.
    The event is being held at eBay's San Jose, Calif., headquarters, which has been running a test batch of Bloom Boxes for the past nine months. Former secretary of state and current Bloom Energy board member Colin Powell is slated to speak, along with Bloom Energy founder K.R. Sridhar and venture capitalist John Doerr, who currently sits on President Obama's Economic Recovery Advisory Board. There's also a surprise appearance by what the event planners claim will be a "prominent California government official."
    We'll be there snapping photos and bringing you the updates as they happen. If you want a simple reminder, just sign up with your e-mail in the CoverItLive blog below. It'll give you the heads up when we get things going, which should be around 8:30 a.m. PST.

13. mitchshrader

mitchshrader Deceased

It's way hyped. Cost savings at the consumer level won't be significant, 400,000.000. in venture capital says optimum profits are HUGE.

14. crimsonaudio

crimsonaudio 15 or 30?

I'm trying not be skeptical, but if everything they claim is true, this will literally change the world.

15. MtBaldy

MtBaldy Obie Wan, RIP

No, I think with something this big skepticism is in order. When you make claims like that, I'm from Missouri: Show me.

16. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Just heard about it on the radio.

Said it takes air in on one side and fuel (they named a few different ones) in on the other.

Cost $800,000.00
    Its the size of a fridge and can power a house.

The company stated that their goal is to make it the size of a shoe box and around $3,000.00

Sounds interesting for sure.

I can see how it would change the future.

Someone just made a buttload of money.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2010
  17. Jon91N/A

Jon91N/A

I'm skeptical about it too but if Fedex, eBay, and Google have already bought some of these boxes then they definitely aren't your basement-made perpetual motion machine.

18. JAY-TX

JAY-TX

Interesting for sure. I agree with the guy that said they will all say GE on them in the future. Power companies and such will try and put a stop to this if it looks like the bloom box is going to be competetive. If they actually use the boxes, it would be like the guy said. They would be installed at power sub stations, and we would see no difference in the cost of electricity.

19. DR. HOUSE

DR. HOUSE Everybody Lies

Agreed, UNLESS.....................Someone is truly trying to help this country out.

20. Rooster Rugburn

Rooster Rugburn Got Pignose?

Even if it is not the be all end all, it's a positive step to be improved upon and enhanced in future technology.

I've read where there is a lot of energy lost in transmission so even if government restricts the use to public utilities, which wouldn't surprise me, they can replace substations with power generators and be more efficient.

The domino effect in other industries would be a benefit too.

The funny part of the story is that Kaleeforneea is broke, and now they are paying for companies like Fedex, Google, and Wal Mart to buy these so THEY can save money. Fedex, Google, and Wal Mart have more money than Kaleeforneea and have the government subsidizing their energy saving technology. OUTSTANDING.