close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Blood pressure vs heart rate

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by Glock Clock, Apr 13, 2006.

1. Glock Clock

Glock Clock What's up glock

I am just curious on the relationship between blood pressure and heart rate.
    I have high blood pressure, taking water pill.
    Blood pressure normal at rest. I have been running and do fitness program for a year.
    What puzzles me is my blood pressure drop right after running, down to 100/60.
    My normal is 125/85. Two hours after running, my heart still beat 100 times per minute. My blood pressure goes back to normal the next day.
    I suspect fast heart rate has something to do with blood flow, a fast pumping heart create turbulence flow, so the pressure is lower.

My aerobic instructor said that muscle relaxes so pressure lower.
    But my blood pressure went back up with lower heart rate. Strange.

2. California Jack

California Jack Millennium Member

Maybe this has something to do with Bernoulli.

3. Glock Clock

Glock Clock What's up glock

My own observation differs from American Heart Association.

On their web site, blood pressure may stay the same or goes up somewhat proportional to the heart rate.

4. nam02G

nam02G First throwing ax bullseye.

Blood pressure is an interesting thing, and I don't think most people take the time to understand it. The top number, systolic, is the pressure in the artery during the contraction of the left ventrical. The bottom number, diastolic, is the residual pressure in the artery between contractions. It's used as a measure of how hard the heart has to pump to move blood vs how much the heart can relax between contractions. As your heart speeds up it gets less time to fill, pumps a lower volume with each contraction. That might be the reason why the lower bp at the end of a workout. If you ever get the chance to do a stress test where they take your bp every couple minutes do it. You'll see something strange. Your systolic will skyrocket with exersion, if you go long enough and hard enough your diastolic will drop out completely.

5. gunguru1

gunguru1

I'm by no means an expert, but you may experience a drop in blood pressure after running due to dehydration. I think I remember reading that when you lose water through sweat your blood plasma levels drop slightly.