close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Blood pressure and intense workouts

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning' started by DannyB KY, Mar 9, 2007.

1. DannyB KY

DannyB KY

Hello guys and gals!

BP question. I'm also waiting on a phonecall back from my Dr office about this.

I'm 49 and about 25lbs over weight. I've already lost 10lbs. I'm one of those short stocky guys with a round head and no neck. *LOL* (Proxy server won't let me use the smilely face widgets)

The Dr cleared me for exercise and weightlifting. Its been years since I've done any wieghtlifting. I've been working out for two weeks now. Last night I really went at it hard. Harder than anything the last two weeks. Immediately after I was finished lifting, I dragged myself onto the treadmill for an 8 minute run. after that, I flopped into a recliner and took my BP. It was 175/74. Within just a minute or two, it dropped to 170/72. In about 10 to 15 minutes it dropped to 150/70. After about an hour it dropped to 140/70. Its back to 135/70 now, where it should be. Is this normal?? Did I just push too hard??

2. DannyB KY

DannyB KY

Dr called me back. Said not to worry. Those numbers are fine.

3. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

Yup! Your BP will go up some lifting heavy. I find that Cardio helps me to keep my BP at a steady reading. I mean nothing intense. Just a walk or bike ride helps control my BP.

4. mossy500camo

mossy500camo ammo found

My BP was high this morning. The doc got on to me pretty bad. But I say it was her fault. Naughty lady.;)