Block in a Bucket Challenge, real life.... WHAT HAPPENS NEXT WILL SHOCK AND AMAZE YOU!

Discussion in 'General Firearms Forum' started by -JCN-, Sep 23, 2020.

1. -JCN-

-JCN-

@Matt VDW posted this thread:
    https://www.glocktalk.com/threads/the-block-in-a-bucket-challenge.1860722/

Anyone interested in results?

DC9C93C9-1FA0-4BE9-94FA-C6FC6E9C5752.jpeg

EDIT: I set up the target so that the bucket was lying horizontal so no advantage or disadvantage for gravity. I did not do anything special to the wood block (rough cut from the lumber yard) nor the inside of the bucket.

What I did notice is that the bucket walls, once the bottom was cut off had a lot of flex and they were very thin.

That led me to believe that the challenge would be pretty easy as the block wouldn’t get “trapped” as it was pushed backwards.

The section of wood also was fairly light so that also gave me confidence in the challenge. I used a standard cheap 4x4 from Home Depot that cost $15 total.

EDIT #2:
    After getting the materials yesterday and rereading the terms of the challenge, I picked milder guns thinking that my original picks were probably overkill. If the wood block was heavier or the bucket smaller / stiffer, I probably would have stuck with 357 magnum and 45 ACP to try.

But this being a Glock forum, I thought I’d try it with a G35. :D From trying the @ithaca_deerslayer GT challenge this month, I knew I could be inside a 3” circle at that distance with a competition gun with iron sights. So a G35 with a red dot seemed a pretty safe bet. Made sure the POI / POA was zeroed at that distance and that the timing wasn’t a problem.

Grabbed an IDPA legal holster for the G35 from the drawer o’ holsters at home...

57433D23-18F0-4EE5-8AD1-7CC2FF9E3CCC.jpeg

EDIT #3:

Wound up totally anticlimactic. :D

First try with the G35:

Hat camera

Target camera

Plenty of time, plenty of ballistic margin.
    25FA3828-3D5B-489B-B1CA-25AC919AD868.jpeg

So I got to thinking... what was the minimum equipment it would take to do something like this? Would you take the challenge if all you had was what you had on you at the time?

Tried it with an iron sight 9mm P365...

Hat cam

Target cam

C4BA52FA-A5A1-473B-AEF5-1275305A7F2D.jpeg

So all in all, a very doable challenge without anything really special and not much thought needed with regards to equipment. Both calibers went through the block completely, but imparted enough force to knock the block well out of the bucket.

That’s that! Hit a like if you appreciate the way my brain works and my curiosity that drives me to answer totally random questions. :D

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
  2. RandomGuy

RandomGuy

Too bad pin grabber bullets faded away years ago. I’m wondering if a soft lead wadcutter/swc or a hard cast version would be better.

-JCN- likes this.

3. MrPizza

MrPizza

Just shoot it and tell us what happened

-JCN- likes this.
  4. pgg00

pgg00

Did you win the $100k or are you doing dishes?

5. ronin.45

ronin.45

Of course we want to know.

-JCN- likes this.
  6. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

Maybe I didn't read closely enough or maybe it was ambiguous, but I was envisioning the wood post sitting in front of the horizontal bucket rather than just inside the bucket (if both were sitting on a table top, for example). Just inside the bucket ups the odds of success, I would think.

EDIT: I recant. Based on a PM conversation and this part of the challenge I overlooked...

...I concur JCN has the proper set-up.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    Willard, boilergonzo and -JCN- like this.
  7. jakedaawg

jakedaawg

The country I come from is called the Midwest.
    Good for you for setting that up and filming it. Best post I've read this week. No politics or any crap, just guns.

8. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

Who would have guessed it would go that smoothly?

The key to the challenge: don't miss.

Seems like a good lesson to take to heart before one chases after the latest/greatest platform or accessory.

9. -JCN-

-JCN-

Thanks man, I like guns and shooting.

Agree with this. I will add my perspective that if you get really good with anything, you’ll get good with everything. I don’t shoot Glocks much anymore, I don’t draw from that holster setup really ever.

Some people limit themselves to a single weapon system, but it’s really not necessary if you have good fundamentals.

But the real question is:
    WHAT SHOULD I DO WITH THE REMAINING BLOCKS?

Would people like to see video of the blocks being shot at from a bench rest so I can put shots dead center with a bunch of different ammo?

I’m kind of curious about 300 blackout and 45 ACP...

Maccabeus and pgg00 like this.
  10. 'Ol Grandad

'Ol Grandad Director of civil unrest

That's not at all how I envisioned the set up at all. The way I envisioned it, the block would sit on the table in front of the bucket, say 3 inches away and then it would be shot. That way, it's not guaranteed that the block will go into and through the bucket. With the block a few inches away from the mouth of the bucket, there is the chance of the block going to the side and not going into and through the bucket. The way it was done is kind of cheating to my mind. But what do I know?

11. gamecocks

gamecocks

Nicely done, thanks for sharing! I am surprised how easy that was.

-JCN- likes this.
  12. pgg00

pgg00

No dishes for you :D

-JCN- likes this.
  13. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

I'm not surprised at all. In the other thread, I referenced the "pin shoots" many of us did back in the 80's. Those pins were quite a bit heavier than an 8" 2x4.

-JCN- likes this.
  14. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

This is similar to what I thought, too.

In my mind, the block would stand on a table right in front of the horizontal bucket, (but not necessarily a few inches away), which would put the added challenge of the lower lip of the bucket "tripping" the block as it moved into the bucket.

However, I hadn't read the original post closely enough. At one point, it states:

Based on this, our idea that the block begins somewhere outside the bucket isn't the proper set-up.

-JCN- likes this.
  15. gamecocks

gamecocks

I need to mix up my targets more, lol. I think I have only shot steel, paper, and water jugs, that I can recall.

pgg00 and Green Dragoon like this.
  16. Green Dragoon

Green Dragoon

Shooting bowling pins is great. You set them up at the front edge of the table and the goal is to knock it off the back of the table.

gamecocks, -JCN- and RandomGuy like this.
  17. DAKA

DAKA

SHOOT STRAIGHT (range) said no to me doing that :couch:

-JCN- likes this.
  18. -JCN-

-JCN-

I get what you’re saying and that’s an additional challenge that I’d be willing to undertake. But the original description of the challenge says the bucket is attached to a stump and not a flat surface like a table. And @Matt VDW said he was completely describing the setup... and didn’t mention table, or gap between block to bucket. He did say you stand 50’ away from the target which is a block IN a bucket like @Maccabeus quoted.

So I stood 50’ away from the block IN the bucket before shooting. That is the name of the challenge. Block IN the bucket. Not block in front of the bucket....

It’s a block in a bucket that you’re trying to push through the bucket with a bullet.

It did turn out to be anticlimactically easy though so I get what you’re saying. I just followed the letter of the description. I don’t feel that was cheating, even though it turned out to be easy.

I’ve shot pins at our local range too, but in planning to do this challenge the biggest unknown was how the wood block WITHOUT A TOUGH PLASTIC COATING would behave.

That was the biggest question to me. Not whether a caliber would have enough power to push the block through. But what would the block do when hit.

Both the 40SW and the 9mm went clean through the wood and didn’t transfer all their energy. I have shot wood with a 5.56 before and it’s passed through without knocking it over.

Shooting a plastic covered bowling pin, there’s no penetration and the energy is all imparted to the pin. That’s different than this scenario.

That was the question in my mind when planning. Would the bullet go right through and not transfer enough energy to move the block far enough?

When I felt how light the block was, I got more confident to use 40SW instead of 45ACP.

gamecocks likes this.
  19. Maccabeus

Maccabeus

Maybe you've answered your own question.

I agree that other calibers like 300BO or .45 ACP might be interesting, but maybe use the remaining wood to run two new challenges: the Maccabeus Block-Bucket Challenge and the Ol' Grandad Block-Bucket Challenge.

I'd be curious to see if starting the block outside the bucket at various differences changed the results. The time limitation may be irrelevant as we've already seen that can be done. The new question would be: How might bucket interference come into play?

-JCN- and pgg00 like this.
  20. Matt VDW

Matt VDW Millennium Member

Since 9mm from a 3" barrel got the job done with energy to spare, I bet that .380 would work as well. If I had a range to test this myself I'd try a .22 LR.

Taping and/or gluing a second block to the rear of the first one would double the mass to be moved but would also double the distance in which the bullet would be pushing through the wood. It would also shift the target's center of gravity towards the rear of the bucket.

The idea of placing the block somewhere in front of the bucket is interesting. You could use an intact bucket, put it and the block on the ground, and try to "putt" the block into the bucket. The downside is that there would be a serious risk of ricochets coming back at the shooter or skipping over the backstop.

-JCN- likes this.