Glock Forum - GlockTalk banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
LCTitan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering if anyone else get a blister or calus on their middle finger by the second knuckle of their shooting hand when shooting Glocks. Not sure if I'm hold wrong or not to make this happen. Any ideas?

·
Protective G'pa
949 Posts
Is it consistent with that area of your finger that touches the right edge of the trigger guard?

I beveled the edge of my trigger guard as well as relieved the notch at the rear of the trigger guard so that it fit my grip better.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I took some sand paper to mine and "customized" it to fit my finger better. No more blisters.

·
Marine 0369
1,798 Posts
I trimmed both of mine. :supergrin: Used a Dremel then fine sand paper on a dowel.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Just wondering if anyone else get a blister or calus on their middle finger by the second knuckle of their shooting hand when shooting Glocks. Not sure if I'm hold wrong or not to make this happen. Any ideas?

It's normal, just a calus from the contact with the trigger guard. The more you shoot, the bigger it gets. Mine matches the calus at the tip of the same finger from writing.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I trimmed both of mine. :supergrin: Used a Dremel then fine sand paper on a dowel.
Did it hurt? I imagine a fast spinning abrasive wheel on your knuckle would sting a bit! :supergrin::rofl:

I have Glock knuckle too, goes perfect withh my G19's pig nose. :supergrin: I didnt get it live fire on the range though, I got it while practicing presentation of the gun from the holster. Hurts like hell while it was still soft, had to shoot or dry fire with a bandage on till it hardened up.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Oh, and you are holding fine, it means your shooting hand is as high up the front grip as it can get, which is a good thing.

If you dont want it, wrap your knuckle with a band-aid or a little tape before shooting. Though if you shoot enough you'll probably get Glock knuckle with or without knuckle protection.

·
Registered
535 Posts
If it's a blister... pop it and continue to shoot. If it's a calus... that means your body is doing it's job to toughen that area of abuse. Just ignore it and keep shooting. Unless you're a hand model.... then I'd probably give up shooting as it isn't very easy on the hands.

·
Registered
107 Posts
If it's a blister... pop it and continue to shoot. If it's a calus... that means your body is doing it's job to toughen that area of abuse. Just ignore it and keep shooting. Unless you're a hand model.... then I'd probably give up shooting as it isn't very easy on the hands.
I wouldnt pop that blister if I could avoid it, leaves the skin underneath prone to infection.

My Glock knuckle started out as a blister, I covered it with a band aid to protect it till it healed.

·
LCTitan
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks all! I will add this to my growing list of ailments. Glock knuckle will more than likely make the list of topics of discussion for Med students for years to come. Really started to notice it after a 150 round steel plate match yesterday. Take care all and shoot all A's or 0's.

·
Registered
4,585 Posts
Pain is not conducive to good shooting. There are two solutions. Sell the pistol and buy something that doesn't hurt, or change the shape of the trigger guard. Incidentally, if you shoot a G20, 21, 29 or 30 you will probably have no problem because the bigger grip moves your knuckle out of the way.

If you are prepared to change the trigger guard you need to fille down the part that is hitting you. This is the part of the trigger guard that angles downwards and you need to make this angle to the horizontal more shallow. Then the recoil combined with the muzzle flip takes it over your knuckle instead of into it.

Looking at the bottom of the trigger guard, starting from the grip end, the first part is a segment of a circle. Do not raise this! The next part is a straight which is angled down - this is the part that you need to change so that it forms a new tangent to the circle segment and angles down at about half the angle of the original. This thins the trigger guard at the next part of the trigger guard, namely the curve that takes it back to a straight horizontal.

When you have the new angle right, fair it into the bottom horizontal with a new curve and round the edges.

Finish it off with progressively finere and finer grit paper so that it is smooth enough to slide over the knuckle even if it doesn't quite clear it. Wet and dry 1200 grit will remove the small hairs of plastic and leave an even coloration which is hardly noticeable.

WARNING: As you use the file you will produce gouges into the surface so leave a little spare depth of material to take off with the sand paper.

English

·
Registered
729 Posts
I think the best thing to do is have proper grip and if it calluses your finger, then so what?

Try just polishing the underside of the trigger guard so it is smooth like a metal framed gun. This way it's not going to rub your finger raw and make you need a band aid ;)

·
Registered
3,909 Posts
Always. It's a function of the low bore axis, such that your grip is high up on the gun.

During training classes, I can be 100% assured that I'll have a blister there by the end of the first day.

You should have a high grip on the gun, so a blister tells you you're holding the gun right.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts