close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Blind Man's Bluff

Discussion in 'The Book Rack' started by SEB27, Nov 17, 2004.

1. SEB27

SEB27

Just got done reading this one. It was recommended by an instructor at school and it was worth the price and the read. It is a historical look at major happenings in the US and sometimes Soviet Navy's during the cold war. Lots of interesting things and what happened back then in the only part of the cold war where our forces and the soviet forces would come in contact semi-frequently. Some parts are a little dry, but overall the author does a good job of keeping it interesting and not extremely technical.
    Title: Blind Man's Bluff
    Author: Sherry Sontag and Christopher Drew
    ISBN: 1-891620-08-8

2. mac66

mac66 Huge Member Millennium Member

Excellent book. Great insight into cold war sub games.

3. PromptCritical

PromptCritical AgentOfEntropy

When "Blind Man's Bluff" hit store shelves, there was some flap about those accounts still being classified. Some of those people almost got into serious trouble over it.

As the Security Officer on the boat I was on (yes, it was a submarine) asked during a security briefing, "So, if Sherry Sontag comes up to you and says 'I'm writing the sequel to Blind Man's Bluff, and I want to know about submarine operations.' what do you tell her?"

Me: "Go F@&# yourself."

True story. They thought it was quite amusing.

And the penalty for divulging classified information: $10,000, ten years, ten inches in federal PMITA prison.

4. TKM

TKM Shiny Member Lifetime Member

I spend a lot of time on a sub base. It doesn't matter who you talk to, the only answer to a question about that book is pretty much "No comment". Usually not phrased politely.

The sub community is not pleased with people who don't take security seriously.

I don't understand people who believe that their entertainment is more important than national security.

WTFityF. as it were.
    ;P

5. SEB27

SEB27

I am not the one to judge, but the book didn't seem like it covered anything that would be classified. I never found the section detailing the construction of sonar arrays, but I don't read appendices. The only thing that seems like it could be classified was the sub collisions.